Food on the Liberty??

We are jumping ship from Disney due to high prices. We are cruising on the Liberty soon. This will be our first cruise on RCCL. After reading through some posts, it seems that the food on the Liberty is not very good. Is that your impression? Can you give me advice on the food and the restaurants? Thanks !

Food is subjective, and can literally change from cruise to cruise, week to week, or even day to day. You'll have to try it for yourselves. I haven't been on Liberty, but I'm always pleased with Royal's food.

If you are looking for an "upgraded" meal, the specialty restaurants are very good.

We are jumping ship from Disney due to high prices. We are cruising on the Liberty soon. This will be our first cruise on RCCL. After reading through some posts, it seems that the food on the Liberty is not very good. Is that your impression? Can you give me advice on the food and the restaurants? Thanks !

The only way you will know is to try it yourself. I learned long ago that one person's excellent food is another's inedible.

We enjoy all types of food and are not picky eaters. I had heard that people were not eating as much in the MDR but in the specialty restaurants due to the food not being good. Have you heard this and is it factual? Thanks

We enjoy all types of food and are not picky eaters. I had heard that people were not eating as much in the MDR but in the specialty restaurants due to the food not being good. Have you heard this and is it factual? Thanks

I've not heard that about Liberty.

If you read and heard the food wasn't good it sounds like you don't believe it so why would you believe anything we would say.. You already got very good answers

Edited by setsail

I was on Liberty earlier this spring, and I didn't have any problems with the food. We usually did lunches at the buffet, and there's always a pretty wide selection. On sea days, you can also try lunch in the main dining room.

For dinners, we did MDR four times, Windjammer buffet once, and once each in Giovanni's Table and Sabor. Some people seem to complain about the MDR food, but I think it is pretty good. Not super gourmet or anything, but good food and good service. The buffet is actually very nice for dinner, as well, if you want to be casual and less structured. And it's very laid back and not crowded at dinner, as opposed to the bustling buffet of lunchtime.

We had very nice meals at both Giovanni's and Sabor.

The specialty restaurants on our cruise were not unusually crowded, so I would say that this is probably not factual.

We feel that the food on the Liberty is fine, but we aren't foodies either. Sometimes we don't care for the menus in the MDR and then will opt to eat elsewhere. Love the Mongolian Grill in Wind Jammer, served Sun nights and several other nights during the week.

We had friends that cruised on the Disney Magic and really disliked the food, they felt the food on the Liberty was much better.

Carla

That would be something called an opinion.

My sister/family have been on both. They say Disney food is better than Royal. I bet everyone will have different experiences. Just remember, it's kind of like going to a wedding with hundreds of people being fed at the same time.

Although food is ALWAYS subjective, I've been on the Liberty and have personally found the food in their MDR is among the best I've experienced on Royal (see my signature line - I haven't been on that many ships, but I keep going back to Liberty - have been on her twice and have two more cruises booked on her).

Either way - you are bound to find something you enjoy. Ask the waiter for a new option if you don't like what you get the first time. They will bend over backwards to get you something you do like.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Ethelfleda

My sister/family have been on both. They say Disney food is better than Royal. I bet everyone will have different experiences. Just remember, it's kind of like going to a wedding with hundreds of people being fed at the same time.

Well when you look at the price tags of Disney vs RCI, I guess Disney's food should be better! :eek:;)

We got off 8 days ago, we were happy with food, it was good but not great in MDR our service was great. Ship also have 3 specialty restaurants Giovanni's excellent Italian 30 for dinner and 20 for lunch (open on sea days only for lunch) , we also had a very good steak in Chops which is 35, there is also a Mexican restaurant that we did not try.

Ship in general is very nice. there is a Broadway play "Saturday Night fever" which is very nice, also a great Ice show , other entertainment was also very good

Prior to our Liberty cruise last week, I had actually heard good reports on the Liberty's food here on CC. Personally, I'm easy to please and was very happy with the food last week!

Speaking about this being a subjective topic though - There were many, many things my DD and I both liked and a couple that didn't jump out to either of us. But what I really found interesting was that when we ordered different things and traded bites there were several times that I preferred what I had ordered and she preferred what she had ordered. Repeat - food is subjective - even amongst family! So just remember that one of the great things about cruising is that if you get something you really don't like, they are happy to bring you something else! And if you get something you really do like, they are happy to bring you seconds! :D

I meant to add - the only mistake I made last week was waiting until the last night to order a Caesar Salad - we both loved it!

Edited by YadaYadaJodi

we hated the food on Disney. seriously the only thing I ate all week was the chilled soups

we enjoyed the food on LIB MUCH more with far more variety of items that we liked as opposed to going hungry pretty much every night

we hated the food on Disney. seriously the only thing I ate all week was the chilled soups

Chilled soups for breakfast. Must have experienced some serious weight loss that week.

Edited by looking4info

Just off Liberty and some of the food is TERRIBLE.

After day 3 we had every dinner in the buffet! MDR was a joke. They served me chicken cordon Bleu one night that tasted like it was from a box in the frozen food section.

The pay restaurants and buffet are quite good however.

We were on the Navigator last year and ate in the MDR for meals--it was OK. In March we were on Liberty and I thought the MDR food was a lot better. We ate there for all meals, thinking if we didn't care for it, we could always grab a slice of pizza or a sandwich or something. We are going again in June and are planning on eating MDR each night.

I haven't been on Liberty however many other royal ships, I have been on the Wonder and Magic and felt the food on RCCL is much better. I was really disappointed with the food on Disney especially because of the price; I just expected more.

On the Liberty 2 weeks ago we had actually plAnned on dining in a specialty restaurant instead of a Jamaican excursion but we ended up eating in the mdr every night. The food, service and table mates we so good we wanted to stay put.

I have yet to be on a cruise where I have found the food enjoyable (with the exception of Chops). Sometimes it is more tolerable than others but mostly, it all tastes like it was cooked in the same pot. I don't cruise for the food so it is not a big deal to me. Eating a nice meal while at port helps break up the monotony. The up side it, I have never gained any weight either! :p