Water and Soda stop from LGA to RedHook

Akaicb

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a grocery store or walgreens type store to stop at on our ride from LGA to the Red Hook cruise terminal?

I am looking to grab a case of vanilla coke and some water before we get on our cruise. Because I want the vanilla coke, I know I will be better off with one of the chains or a larger store. It is more likely that they will have it available.

I have not decided on which car service to use yet, but when I contact them I would like to be able to say where I would like to stop so they can quote me correctly.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Kim

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a grocery store or walgreens type store to stop at on our ride from LGA to the Red Hook cruise terminal?

I am looking to grab a case of vanilla coke and some water before we get on our cruise. Because I want the vanilla coke, I know I will be better off with one of the chains or a larger store. It is more likely that they will have it available.

The obvious answer is Fairway Market in Red Hook, but I'm not a Brooklynite so there may be a better option. But Fairway operates fairly big stores (by NYC standards) and prices are decent.

Be aware that Fairway is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy at the moment, so there's a possibility that some stores may close, but I'd be surprised if the Red Hook store did.

I would get off rte 278 at Queen's Blvd (it's on the way from LaGuardia to Red Hook) and shop at a larger supermarket like KEY FOODS located at 6110 Queens Blvd, Flushing,(Woodside). It's only about 4 blocks off 278 and would be better choice with better variety than the more local smaller superette type places in Redhook.

OMO

bosco

Walgreen @ Northern Blvd. & 78th Street - soda, sports drink & bottled water, along with suntan lotion or other OTC meds and essentials. Open till midnight, about 10 minutes from LGA via local streets - also en route to Manhattan or Brooklyn (via 94th Street airport exit over the GCP/highway or Marine Air Terminal / 81st Street exit, also over GCP & down about 6 or 7 long city blocks to Northern Blvd, right turn & 3 blocks to Walgreen.

Carmel car service will add a $16 charge (ouch !) for the extra stop (based on their FAQ) although I am not sure if they will also charge for additional idle/waiting time while you are inside "shopping" & waiting to for cashier checkout, as lines can sometimes be a few minutes.

With 2 or more traveling, one option is split the trip into 2 parts, just ride over to Keyfood or Walgreen & pay the fare. When ready to go to the hotel or cruise terminal, call for a pickup again ... maybe the driver will take a break & wait nearby, do a bathroom or fuel stop (Mobil gas station on the next city block w. a busy car wash).

Also, easy back on I-278 / BQE at 69th Street entrance. (Advantage of sailing from homeport ... just pickup (3) three 1.25 liter (42.5 oz) sized bottle Ginger Ale for our cruise next week, on sale @ ShopRite for $1.29 each + 5 cents deposit & sales tax, excellent deal (and, it typically last us all week long) ... pack it in our checked luggage & viola, not going pay $3 for a 12 oz. iced-filled cup of soda onboard + 18% service charge.)

Edited by mking8288

Thank-you everyone, this helps so much.

It seems I have a number of options and a recommendation on a car service is a plus. I was not sure if I should use Dial &, Carmel or someone else.

I still have 5 months before my cruise, so I have a little time to figure out which one will be best.

Thanks,

Kim