Magens Bay, Coki Point Beach or Sapphire Beach

We just returned (June 9) from our cruise that included St. Thomas and we decided to go with Coki Beach as several folks believed it was the best for beach snorkeling. We were not disappointed! As you face the water, there are some rocks off to the right. Great beach snorkeling there with good coral and tons of fish! We normally prefer open water snorkeling but this was very good. We were the only ship in port so it was not at all crowded. We had an amazing whole fried fish with beans, rice and plantains served to our beach chair that was fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...
Will be doing a tour of St. Thomas and upgraded to include so beach time and one of these beaches: Magens Bay, Coki Point Beach or Sapphire Beach.

If you can only do one, which one do you recommend? Pros & Cons.

Thanks in advance.

Doing the same research on beaches of St. Thomas and found this page. It has a handy map and a very helpful chart just below the map that shows you what amenities are available as each beach. However, the page appears to have been put up in 2015, so there may have been changes since then.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/articles/beaches-on-st-thomas.html

Doing the same research on beaches of St. Thomas and found this page. It has a handy map and a very helpful chart just below the map that shows you what amenities are available as each beach. However, the page appears to have been put up in 2015, so there may have been changes since then.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/articles/beaches-on-st-thomas.html

The map cannot be relied upon for current amenities and other specific details, but is still very helpful for someone wanting to see where the beaches and some other landmarks are located in relation to their dock. I make it a point to include that for folks new to the island for that reason...

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiem0217 viewpost.gif

What beach is closest to the carnival dock?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Magen's.

Sam, Lisa, Brayden, and Briella

Morningstar Beach is the closest by far...

Quote:

Originally Posted by angiem0217 viewpost.gif

What beach is closest to the carnival dock?

Magen's.

Sam, Lisa, Brayden, and Briella

Morningstar Beach is the closest by far...

Thread is about Magen's, Coki or Sapphire.

We were at Sapphire Beach last week- you can get beach loungers for $5 each and they'll place them for you. And there is some shade as well. To echo what others have posted, I would only go here if yours is the only ship in port. Ours was, so there was room for everyone. This is a small beach and not very developed- there is a snorkeling/dive shop with drinks, but for food, there was only a small area under a tent that had a grill- had sandwiches and such. But the jerk chicken sandwich was good.

We enjoyed our day there- decided to try this beach because we've been to Megan's Bay several times. The cab from the port to Sapphire Beach was $10/pp.

This is good to know...Few years back the condo owners forbidden outsiders to use the beach.

Before that I always went to Sapphire Beach. All time favorite.

To clarify, the condo owners never prevented day visitors from visiting Sapphire Beach. It is a public beach. The dive center and restrooms closed for a period of time, but the beach was always available. The owners enjoyed the relative quiet during that time I'm sure.

Sapphire is actually one of the beaches we would recommend on a busier ship day because there is room to spread out and get away from the busier spot and still have natural shade and beach service.

Edited by blue_water

Thread is about Magen's, Coki or Sapphire.

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I felt Morningstar should be mentioned just in case Angie wanted the closest option to Havensight. To answer for just the three beaches in the title, they are all so similar in drive time that the experience that each beach offers is more relevant IMHO.

Magen's Bay is our favorite on St. Thomas! We visited Sapphire Beach last trip just to see a different beach. Sapphire was nice, but the water was not as calm & it just wasn't as pretty in our opinion as Magen's Bay. We will go to Magen's next time we return, that is unless we have time to go to St. John, then we will be at Trunk Bay!!!! Have a great time in St. Thomas!!!

To clarify, the condo owners never prevented day visitors from visiting Sapphire Beach. It is a public beach. The dive center and restrooms closed for a period of time, but the beach was always available. The owners enjoyed the relative quiet during that time I'm sure.

Sapphire is actually one of the beaches we would recommend on a busier ship day because there is room to spread out and get away from the busier spot and still have natural shade and beach service.

Yes this is true,

The condo owners prevented taxi drivers dropping off/and picking up at the taxi stand near the gift shop. Only loungers were available to the condo guests. Outsiders weren't allowed to use,

Years ago, It was a pleasure going. Taxi dropped you right at the shop and arranged a time for pickup.

Wondering if they can do this now?

Or do you need to walk from the road because of the guard?

Can you rent loungers now as well?

Yes this is true' date='

The condo owners prevented taxi drivers dropping off/and picking up at the taxi stand near the gift shop. Only loungers were available to the condo guests. Outsiders weren't allowed to use,

Years ago, It was a pleasure going. Taxi dropped you right at the shop and arranged a time for pickup.

Wondering if they can do this now?

Or do you need to walk from the road because of the guard?

Can you rent loungers now as well?[/quote']

No, the condo owners cannot prevent taxis, private vehicles, or walkers from accessing the beach. The guard will also not stop anyone from entering.

The condo lobby, restaurant, restrooms, and Dive In dive shop were closed for a period so you could not rent lounges and you had to lay on your towel. And you had to be creative when time to relieve yourself :p

But there was always food and drink available at Banana Cabana and Sapphire Village restaurant.

The dive center has been open for several months and has everything you want and the restrooms are open as well.

So enjoy!

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread

Regarding the condo owners not letting taxis in to the beach at Sapphire that is not the case. The property developer closed off the old drop off spot the condo owners had nothing to do with it.

For a period of time the dive shop closed (it is now open) and it was the dive shop that rented chairs. The condo owners purchased just enough chairs for themselves to use. The dive shop is back open and renting chairs

Private property owners are not obligated to provide parking or access on private property. The beaches are public but to get to some of them you need a boat

Most of the popular beaches allow public access