Med with 4 and 5 year olds - Port suggestions?

mandream

We'll be on the Celebrity Equinox at the end of June and are looking for some suggestions for things to do with our 4 and 5 year old boys in port. My wife and I have been to most of these ports before so we're not too concerned about missing any must see sights - we're more interested in doing things that will be fun for the boys. We will be visiting

Mykonos Greece - probably our one beach day. Suggestions for a family friendly beach that is easy for DIY?

Valetta Malta - was thinking about Playmobil Fun Park, but they seem to be closed for renovations

Catania Sicily - thinking of wandering around Taormina, but open to ideas

Salerno Italy - possibly a visit to Amalfi.

For Salerno, I'd like to visit Capri. I am a little worried about running into rough seas and having the Ferry stop service (that happened to us once when we went to Sorrento from Naples - fortunately we had enough time to take the train back). There is a ship excursion for Capri on your own that seems pretty pricey for what it is - but at least we would have peace of mind.

Interested in any thoughts on the above or other ideas or suggestions. Also any recommendations on restaurants would be appreciated.

Thanks -

Mike

Edited by mandream

Capri with the ship excursion sounds good to me (for peace of mind). It's a lovely place. Skip the Blue Grotto though (over-hyped).

I've been to Taormina and it was my son's favorite place on our Western Med trip. The Greek/ Roman amphitheater is something to behold with a view of Mt. Etna from the stands.

I haven't been to Malta so can't comment.

In Mykonos there are hotels that will rent you a room for the day and use of the beach. You might want to check out the ports of call thread on here for suggestions. I made the foolish mistake of walking into town from where the ship docks. There is no shoulder in places and I had to dodge traffic. Definitely grab a taxi or some form of transportation from the dock.

Capri with the ship excursion sounds good to me (for peace of mind). It's a lovely place. Skip the Blue Grotto though (over-hyped).

I've been to Taormina and it was my son's favorite place on our Western Med trip. The Greek/ Roman amphitheater is something to behold with a view of Mt. Etna from the stands.

I haven't been to Malta so can't comment.

In Mykonos there are hotels that will rent you a room for the day and use of the beach. You might want to check out the ports of call thread on here for suggestions. I made the foolish mistake of walking into town from where the ship docks. There is no shoulder in places and I had to dodge traffic. Definitely grab a taxi or some form of transportation from the dock.

Thanks.

My wife and I have tried to do Capri a couple times before, and for one reason or another it just hasn't worked out. That's why I was thinking, maybe this time. I get what you are saying about the Blue Grotto - but still, I kinda want to.....

We loved Taormina as well and would love to go back. Need to look again to see how easy / hard it is to get there from Catania. I remember checking early on, but now I can't recall.

Good idea about using a hotel beach in Mykonos.

How old was your son at the time?

Mike

Ok...what do you WANT to see and do? Plenty of children LIVE in these places! Get a guidebook...see all your options! Then, you can decide, once you have all the info!

These ports, for Americans, is all about the history and such...not so much parks or beaches....

Edited by cb at sea

Hi Mike- when we went to Taormina my son was 12, but I've taken him to Europe since he was 4 and I go where I want to go and he always did fine in ruins, castles and forts. As long as he could run around and touch things he was content. So go where you want to go- take pictures and you'll treasure these memories. I have pictures of him playing with another child in Pompeii, walking along the wall in Dubrovnik, visiting the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, climbing the hexagon shaped stones at the Giant's Causeway in Ireland, and exploring parks in Madrid and swimming in the reflecting pool in Paris by the Eiffel Tower. Kids age 4 and 5 get excited by every aspect of travel. My son skipped through the airport anxiously awaiting our flight to Europe. Don't dumb it down for kids- go where you want to go. They aren't going to remember much at age 4 and 5. My son only remembers me being pickpocketed in Barcelona ( from when he was 4) because I cried so hard. He vividly remembers Taormina (wanted to live there) and Orvieto in Italy from the most recent trip in 2013.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We too have a Med cruise for Malta in August with a 5 year old. We have a stopover so I have some extra time but I'm looking at using the public bus (depot within walking distance of the port) and going to the blue grotto and also to Mdina. The grotto is touristy but something I think we can all enjoy together. Boats and walled cities in the kids eyes kids but beautiful scenery and history for the parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Blue Grotto- You will not see many small children in this touristy trap.

Keep in mind that you spend approximately 2 hours worth of your day to go to the Blue Grotto. You get on a bus or boat to got there- switch to a smaller boat and then wait your turn in line (could be up to an hour sitting in a row boat with small children while you wait your turn). Then you all lay flat so as not to hit your heads on the cave entrance. Once inside you are in a small area with lots of other rowboats for about less than 10 minutes going in a circle and leaving again while being hassled for tips. Is it worth the money and time? That's up to you. We did this when I was 15 and I was disappointed. Very anti-climactic.

http://www.capri.com/en/s/la-grotta-azzurra

Hi Mike- when we went to Taormina my son was 12, but I've taken him to Europe since he was 4 and I go where I want to go and he always did fine in ruins, castles and forts. As long as he could run around and touch things he was content. So go where you want to go- take pictures and you'll treasure these memories. I have pictures of him playing with another child in Pompeii, walking along the wall in Dubrovnik, visiting the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, climbing the hexagon shaped stones at the Giant's Causeway in Ireland, and exploring parks in Madrid and swimming in the reflecting pool in Paris by the Eiffel Tower. Kids age 4 and 5 get excited by every aspect of travel. My son skipped through the airport anxiously awaiting our flight to Europe. Don't dumb it down for kids- go where you want to go. They aren't going to remember much at age 4 and 5. My son only remembers me being pickpocketed in Barcelona ( from when he was 4) because I cried so hard. He vividly remembers Taormina (wanted to live there) and Orvieto in Italy from the most recent trip in 2013.

Thanks. Very helpful.

And I think we'll rethink the Blue Grotto as well:)

Mike

In 2009 my son was the first child to pass the threshold of the Celebrity Equinox! We did the Norwegian Fjords.

Celebrity has an excellent youth program called the "Fun Factory" and I think your little ones will love it. They offer supervised kid's dinners in the buffet from 5-7PM each night for a fee. This would allow you to do some romantic dinners for two or just having some alone time.

My son loved Bistro on Five. They serve crepes (the Italian was his favorite), sandwiches, soups, shakes and gelato and it's a bit more intimate than the buffet or MDR. It's a nice place to go for a quiet breakfast of lunch.

Also the kids are allowed to use the indoor pool on Celebrity but they just ask that you be courteous and supervise the children. No Marco Polo or jumping in- you'll get dirty looks.

Maybe I should have mentioned by way of background, this will be my boys' 6th Celebrity cruise (at the ripe old ages of 4 and 5):D

So far they've only been to the Caribbean and Alaska and we tried to keep the activities mostly kid friendly - hence my request for suggestions in the Med. But I agree - they'll have fun no matter what we do.

As for the Fun Factory my 4 year old LOVES it. He wakes up first thing in the morning and wants to go directly there so he's not "late". If we pick him up before 10 (mind you his bedtime at home is 7) he complains "I'm not done yet!"

My 5 year old - meh. He never "wants" to go. We sometimes make deals with him and get him to go - and he always has fun, but rarely volunteers. It's just their personalities.

Whenever we see a big X on a sign or billboard, whether it's the Celebrity X or not - the boys always point to it and say it's just like OUR cruise ship.

Very cool that your son was the first child on the Equinox. That's pretty neat.

Mike

Edited by mandream