Whittier Cruise Terminal

barbpretz

We are doing the Princess Land Tour before beginning our cruise September 3rd. We don't get into Whittier until 6:30pm and the ship leaves at 8:30pm. We want to bring a few cases of soda on board with us, but would rather not have to lug them around on the land portion. Does the Whittier cruise terminal have a shop where we could buy soda before we get on the ship? It would have to be right there since we won't have much time before boarding. Thanks for your suggestions!

There is the Harbor Store, BUT- you will be paying more than you would on the ship. :)

You have the wrong idea about Whittier- this isn't the place to consider shopping. With Princess- and if taking the train, tells me, you are leaving from Denali or Talkeetna? NEITHER place is going to have your cases of soda either, except high cost per can.

Only place to pick up cases of soda- frankly, is in Fairbanks or Anchorage, from Walmart, Safeway, Fred Meyer etc. also at higher prices than at home.

Edited by Budget Queen

• 2 weeks later...

If we bought a couple of cases of soda in Fairbanks before our land tour, would it be possible to put them in a bag/suitcase designated to meet up with us on the cruise portion? Or would we have to lug them from place to place on the land tour? I just don't quite understand how the baggage situation works.

Thanks for your help!

I realize that this seems petty, but on vacation, sometimes the small things can really make a difference. I guess I'm used to the lower 48 where any convenience store (or even gas stations) have 12-packs of soda. It seems like the Harbor Store in Whittier is even smaller than that?

I realize that this seems petty, but on vacation, sometimes the small things can really make a difference. I guess I'm used to the lower 48 where any convenience store (or even gas stations) have 12-packs of soda. It seems like the Harbor Store in Whittier is even smaller than that?

Whittier is barely a town. Only 200 residents, who pretty much all live in an apt tower.

If it's important to you, call the store and ask .

http://www.whittieralaskachamber.org/business_directory.htm

Why not pre-order and have them waiting in your cabin when you board? http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine/

I wasn't familiar with this option and I don't see it listed as a package option on my Cruise Personalizer. Is this something one orders on board? Or only available on certain ships?

I wasn't familiar with this option and I don't see it listed as a package option on my Cruise Personalizer. Is this something one orders on board? Or only available on certain ships?

You can order it to have it delivered to your stateroom by using the link above before your cruise.

It is my understanding you cannot order it on the ship but you can obtain it on a can by can basis at certain bars or in your mini-bar.

Hopefully somebody will correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't been on Princess for a couple of years.

I was in Ketchikan in 2009 and a can of Coke was more than $7 in port.

Edited by Nhsaltshaker

I called the Harbor Store in Whittier (thanks for the idea, MapleLeaves! I'm old enough that I forget it no longer costs a fortune to call long distance). They don't have cases of soda, but they sell 20 oz bottles for $2.50 each. That's slightly less expensive than buying the canned soda package on board, but the package is probably worth it for convenience. Both seem quite reasonably priced to me - it sure beats $7 a can!

Thanks for helping me figure out my options.