Do I need to pre-book train tickets out of Villefranche?

masonpips

We're going to plan either the train or the bus to Monaco and do our own thing. I've been researching the times/options and the train is a lot more expensive, but super fast. If I don't pre-book my tickets will we have any trouble getting them that day?

We're on Independence on a Thursday in early June. Per the cruise port info page, we're the only ship in port and our time shows 9:30-6 (with tendering).

Thanks

We're going to plan either the train or the bus to Monaco and do our own thing. I've been researching the times/options and the train is a lot more expensive, but super fast. If I don't pre-book my tickets will we have any trouble getting them that day?

We're on Independence on a Thursday in early June. Per the cruise port info page, we're the only ship in port and our time shows 9:30-6 (with tendering).

Thanks

No worries - even with a ship the size of Indy.

Buy your tickets at the train station. Very quick & easy.

Don't know the cost on the bus, but the train's not expensive.

Around 10 to 12 euros return?

JB :)

The train from Villefranche to Monaco is only 3 euros each way and takes less than 15 minutes, tickets can't be reserved as it's just a local service. The bus costs 1 euro each way and takes around 40 minutes, but the buses do run more frequently.

I wouldn't say the train was significantly cheaper than the bus. Did you use Villefranche-sur-Mer as the station in your search? Use http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers to search for train times.

Edited by Bobal

The train from Villefranche to Monaco is only 3 euros each way and takes less than 15 minutes, tickets can't be reserved as it's just a local service. The bus costs slightly less and takes slightly longer.

However, I wouldn't say the train was significantly faster or cheaper than the bus. Did you use Villefranche-sur-Mer as the station in your search?

Interesting - every time I try to look at it online it shows about $17 Euro (can't figure if one way or round trip) and won't let me book online. That's why I wanted to make sure I could wait. I like this price WAY better! LOL

We'll plan to head to the station and grab tickets there - thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting - every time I try to look at it online it shows about $17 Euro (can't figure if one way or round trip) and won't let me book online. That's why I wanted to make sure I could wait. I like this price WAY better! LOL

Did this last year and we bought our ticket at the train station and was about a 10 - 15 minute walk to the train station from the port. It was around 12 Euros round trip. The lady at the train station gave us a pamphlet with the return times. Found it fairly easy to do on your own. The train ride is about 10-15 minutes. The bus system gets you around easy once you get there. There was an all day bus ticket, if I remember correctly, about 5-6 euros. We came back on the 5:00 train in order to make sure we did not cut it close.

No mystery here. Some online entrepreneur (or tour company) is simply going to rip you off by selling you basic train tickets at a huge mark-up. The trains on that line (that run between Cannes and Menton along the entire French Riviera) are simply local commuter trains that are more like elevated subways then decent trains :). Tickets are sold in machines at all the stations or at ticket windows in the larger stations where they have windows. And, if you somehow cannot buy a ticket because of broken machines and closed ticket windows, you can always buy it from the conductor onboard. There are no reservations, no reserved seats, and no limit to the number of tickets.

Just be cognizant of the normal European practice of validating tickets. In most cases, you need to validate a European train ticket by inserting it in the validation machines (often painted yellow) located on or near the platform. That machine stamps the ticket with date/time. Failure to validate can get you fined (by the conductor) unless he takes pity (they often are nice to tourists).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner