Upgrade to Grand Suite - whaaaat?! ;)

Whoa! Enjoy your upgrade!!! That's awesome!!

My only eyebrow raising thing here is (and I'm not trying to start a tipping argument - I have no issues with tipping as it is. With the exception of this one question.)... The cruiseline can upgrade you randomly into a suite with no request on your part and you still have to pay the additional tips?? I know it's not a huge difference, but... As an example, for my upcoming cruise that would be an extra $36 as I'm solo. For a couple, that would be an extra $72. And so forth. Yes, in the great scheme of the cruise it's a drop in the bucket, but if you've budgeted and prepaid and so forth it could make a difference no matter how minor in planned things for the trip.

I could see if you asked for or especially paid for the upgrade, but it seems like if they do it randomly, they should pick up the difference. It's the principle of the thing to me. Maybe I'll just change my upgrade preferences to "no"...

I have no idea if this is still the same--but when we were upgraded from a balcony to a suite a few years ago, our tips did not change--I had to go to guest services and request that they take the higher tips (fully deserved) and they couldn't change it in the system from what I had booked--so we ended up getting cash in port to supplement (I had brought enough for tipping in the lounge but had not realized our other tips would not be adjusted).

Regardless--it is a tiny price to pay for a very nice upgrade even if they do charge them the additional gratuities. I am sure if it ever happens to you and you prefer to turn down the suite someone else can be found who would happily pay that little bit for the room.

congrats! You will LOVE it! Had our first grand suite on Freedom of the Seas last year and it was perfect! Only had stayed in balconies before. Suites are so expensive now, I don't know if we will ever be able to do it again without the upgrade fairy!! Have fun!

Whoa! Enjoy your upgrade!!! That's awesome!!

My only eyebrow raising thing here is (and I'm not trying to start a tipping argument - I have no issues with tipping as it is. With the exception of this one question.)... The cruiseline can upgrade you randomly into a suite with no request on your part and you still have to pay the additional tips?? I know it's not a huge difference, but... As an example, for my upcoming cruise that would be an extra $36 as I'm solo. For a couple, that would be an extra $72. And so forth. Yes, in the great scheme of the cruise it's a drop in the bucket, but if you've budgeted and prepaid and so forth it could make a difference no matter how minor in planned things for the trip.

I could see if you asked for or especially paid for the upgrade, but it seems like if they do it randomly, they should pick up the difference. It's the principle of the thing to me. Maybe I'll just change my upgrade preferences to "no"...

In your example, it would be best to select "no" on the upgrade preference page. Many would jump at the free opportunity to go from a balcony to a grand suite, but if the extra gratuity is an issue, then select "no upgrade" on the preferences.

m

In your example, it would be best to select "no" on the upgrade preference page. Many would jump at the free opportunity to go from a balcony to a grand suite, but if the extra gratuity is an issue, then select "no upgrade" on the preferences.

m

Also, if I understand correctly, OP booked a balcony gty---which should state "balcony OR BETTER" so they are not getting an upgrade that they did not know could (with immense luck) happen. It is not the same as having a specific stateroom booked.

Also, if I understand correctly, OP booked a balcony gty---which should state "balcony OR BETTER" so they are not getting an upgrade that they did not know could (with immense luck) happen. It is not the same as having a specific stateroom booked.

Immense luck indeed! We book a guarantee when ever the category we want is available as a guarantee and only in a few occasions have we been assigned to a higher super category. The OP was initially given a balcony, and that was likely the result of the guarantee. This other upgrade was sheer luck.

No one has mentioned it but I thought there was supposed to be some upgrades offered to upper tier C&A passengers. Not sure if the OP is a higher end C&A member. I'll mention ( again) that I rarely see an upgrade that skips a whole category ( in the OP's case - JS).

My guess is that for some reason, another passenger needed the cabin assigned to the OP and had enough clout to have the OP moved to anther cabin.

Again to the OP - enjoy!

M

Yes that's right, we've booked a balcony gty at the end of march for our upcoming cruise at the end of may. Stateroom was assigned the day we've booked (D1, deck 7). We're platinum C&A members, cruised 6 times with RCI, so no upper tier C&A member. Our travel agent said it's because of our C&A status, but come on, with 47 completed cruise points I don't believe it. But no matter what, we're very happy and excited and looking forward to our first cruise in a suite. :)

Thank you all. :)

Congrats!!! I will say this, we were upgraded once to an Aqua Theater Suite on Oasis and it was incredible. The only thing we really wish we would have done was enjoy the benefits...I guess we were not used to it on a cruise, so we never really used it. The only time we used it was to get comedy club tickets after it was sold out. So my suggestion to you is, use it to its fullest, don't forget to use the "Suite Life" and enjoy!!!

What were you upgraded from?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

First, Congrats to the OP. I know you'll enjoy this.

This brings to light a couple questions I have. I know you can set your preferences on the Upgrade section, but I have to wonder about them. They all seem like if you pick anything but no, they can automatically move you, based on what you select. If you have more than one booking schedule, can they do that on any of them? I would love to be offered an upgrade, but not automatically lose a cabin I know I want (this past sailing we had the Aft corner JS and would have been furious if they just moved us). I wish they had an option of call me first and/or only on certain sailings.

Thanx,

Erika

Suites on Vision can be tricky. They are below the WJ and Pool Deck. A lot of reviews will mention noise complaints, especially at odd hours. It all depends on your exact location and tolerance for noise.

Yes, that's the only issue for DH. He is a very light sleeper. But he always uses "ohropax" (don't know the english name :confused: ), at home, at vacation, in the plane/train etc. The Ground Suite ist placed under the Windjammer Café, one of the staterooms in the middle.

Yes, that's the only issue for DH. He is a very light sleeper. But he always uses "ohropax" (don't know the english name :confused: ), at home, at vacation, in the plane/train etc. The Ground Suite ist placed under the Windjammer Café, one of the staterooms in the middle.

They are called "earplugs" in English in case you wonder.

I just noticed you are in Germany.

Funny thing--our big upgrade (balcony gty to Owenr's suite) was also a Vision class ship sialing out of Venice (I assume you are on that loop--I am pretty sure Vision is doing that now) and booked through the German office. Hmmmm--maybe that is the key to jackpot upgrades;)

Have a great cruise!

Ah "earplugs", ok thank you, I don't know it's the same word for those things on the iPod. ;)

Yes, we're from Germany and we use a German travel agent. Funny, that you made the same experience.

We're sailing out from Venice, going to Kings's Landing, Kusadasi (other cruise lines removed Turkey from the itinerary, RCI doesn't), Santorini and Katakolon. Very nice ports. :)

Ah "earplugs", ok thank you, I don't know it's the same word for those things on the iPod. ;)

Yes, we're from Germany and we use a German travel agent. Funny, that you made the same experience.

We're sailing out from Venice, going to Kings's Landing, Kusadasi (other cruise lines removed Turkey from the itinerary, RCI doesn't), Santorini and Katakolon. Very nice ports. :)

We had a similar itinerary (we love that Venice route and take it most years for fall break)--I bet you'll have a great time. Kusadasi is such a pretty port--do you plan to stay in town or head out to Ephesus?

and, BTW, for the iPOd they are called earBUDS--so almost but not exactly the same.

We've been to Ephesus during our Med Cruise in 2011 and loved it. Thinking about coming back, with a better camera ;), we'll decide spontaneously.

Earbuds... It's been almost 20 years since English lessons... :cool:

Did we even have earbuds 20 years ago? :p

Your English is fabulous--loads better than my grammatically horrible German, and I've lived here for seven years now.