Upgrade to Grand Suite - whaaaat?! ;)

If you are concerned about the gratuity increase, they could probably bump you DOWN to the regular rate. Being a balcony GTY, you probably pay the balcony rate. After all, the gratuities are just recommended. Technically. You can have them removed.... Whether or not you SHOULD you pay gratuities at all is a question of its own.

Edited by atnolan94

First, Congrats to the OP. I know you'll enjoy this.

This brings to light a couple questions I have. I know you can set your preferences on the Upgrade section, but I have to wonder about them. They all seem like if you pick anything but no, they can automatically move you, based on what you select. If you have more than one booking schedule, can they do that on any of them? I would love to be offered an upgrade, but not automatically lose a cabin I know I want (this past sailing we had the Aft corner JS and would have been furious if they just moved us). I wish they had an option of call me first and/or only on certain sailings.

Thanx,

Erika

If you don't want an upgrade on your next sailing you can change your preferences prior to that sailing to No Upgrade. Then, after that sailing, if you'd consider an upgrade for your next sailing, you can change them back. Agree that a "call me" option would be nice.

Whoa! Enjoy your upgrade!!! That's awesome!!

My only eyebrow raising thing here is (and I'm not trying to start a tipping argument - I have no issues with tipping as it is. With the exception of this one question.)... The cruiseline can upgrade you randomly into a suite with no request on your part and you still have to pay the additional tips?? I know it's not a huge difference, but... As an example, for my upcoming cruise that would be an extra $36 as I'm solo. For a couple, that would be an extra $72. And so forth. Yes, in the great scheme of the cruise it's a drop in the bucket, but if you've budgeted and prepaid and so forth it could make a difference no matter how minor in planned things for the trip.

I could see if you asked for or especially paid for the upgrade, but it seems like if they do it randomly, they should pick up the difference. It's the principle of the thing to me. Maybe I'll just change my upgrade preferences to "no"...

During my very first cruise I was upgraded from a JS to a Royal Family Suite on Voyager.

As I had pre paid gratuities the correct sum was added without me having to pay anything extra.

Hmmm... I think JS has the same gratuities as a standard stateroom and not as a suite, but maybe I'm wrong there? If I'm wrong what I wrote above may be wrong too... :o

/Erik

During my very first cruise I was upgraded from a JS to a Royal Family Suite on Voyager.

As I had pre paid gratuities the correct sum was added without me having to pay anything extra.

Hmmm... I think JS has the same gratuities as a standard stateroom and not as a suite, but maybe I'm wrong there? If I'm wrong what I wrote above may be wrong too... :o

/Erik

JS have "regular" gratuities. The higher gratuities kick in at Grand Suite.

:)

Yes that's right, we've booked a balcony gty at the end of march for our upcoming cruise at the end of may. Stateroom was assigned the day we've booked (D1, deck 7). We're platinum C&A members, cruised 6 times with RCI, so no upper tier C&A member. Our travel agent said it's because of our C&A status, but come on, with 47 completed cruise points I don't believe it. But no matter what, we're very happy and excited and looking forward to our first cruise in a suite. :)

Thank you all. :)

Congrats again, but get a new travel agent.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

M

Great news, only trouble now is you will want to book another grand suite for each cruise you do. :D

Steven

I agree with this statement. I sailed in a GS last month and now I can't go back. :(