Using cell phone to get on internet onboard

Can anyone give me baby steps to using my cell phone to get on the internet while onboard using Surf (or Surf & Stream). For sure I would be online to check email and facebook, but maybe sending some Snapchats or Skype. I know there is something about turning on airplane mode and then wifi (or the other way around?) but past that I'm clueless. I want to be sure that I don't come home to a huge Verizon bill the size of another cruise. Thanks!

Can anyone give me baby steps to using my cell phone to get on the internet while onboard using Surf (or Surf & Stream). For sure I would be online to check email and facebook, but maybe sending some Snapchats or Skype. I know there is something about turning on airplane mode and then wifi (or the other way around?) but past that I'm clueless. I want to be sure that I don't come home to a huge Verizon bill the size of another cruise. Thanks!

If you want to use ship wifi put your device in airplane mode.

If you are wanting to use your phone to bypass using ship wifi it probably won't end well.

Edited by Vigilant007

You have it right, turn on Airplane Mode, then turn on WiFi. Now you won't get charged by your cell carrier and you can connect to the ship's WiFi and use the internet. You do have to purchase a WiFi plan from the ship however.

Thanks for the confirmation that it is airplane mode first, then wifi, and that the ship's wifi will automatically come up. I know I have to purchase a package. I thought I posted another thread but I don't see it so I will ask it here before posting it again. My DH and I are Diamond and I understand there is a coupon of sorts. What is the best use of the coupons? I thought there was a way to end up with some free (or at least very cheap) days. Or was it combining the coupons with a special price onboard?

My DH and I are Diamond and I understand there is a coupon of sorts. What is the best use of the coupons? I thought there was a way to end up with some free (or at least very cheap) days. Or was it combining the coupons with a special price onboard?

Each Diamond will have a coupon for a free 24 hour period. Here is what we do to check emails daily. Day 1, check emails before sailaway. Day 2 use one D coupon for free 24 hours and that covers for for Days 2 and 3. Day 4 use the other D coupon which covers us for Days 4 and 5. On Day 6, we purchase a 2 day package for $40 to cover us to departure. These prices were for our most recent Liberty cruise before Voom was installed. Prices may be different now.

For a seven day sailing you are around the break even point on the SURF package (pre-cruise reported by some at $63.63 but mine comes up at $72.72, about $71 on board ($91-$20 D discount)). Or you can do as suggested above and straddle a couple of days with the D coupon. The on board price when buying a package is usually $13/day and $20 when buying just a single day. The availability of the package with x days left seems to vary.

Maybe it's changed, but you used to have to go to the internet cafe and use one of their computers to set up an onboard wifi account. Then once set up, you sign on to the wifi on your mobile device or laptop using the login account you created. Again though, maybe that's changed and you can create the account/purchase wifi package directly from your device. (Either way, you still go to airplane mode then turn on wifi)

Each Diamond will have a coupon for a free 24 hour period. Here is what we do to check emails daily. Day 1, check emails before sailaway. Day 2 use one D coupon for free 24 hours and that covers for for Days 2 and 3. Day 4 use the other D coupon which covers us for Days 4 and 5. On Day 6, we purchase a 2 day package for $40 to cover us to departure. These prices were for our most recent Liberty cruise before Voom was installed. Prices may be different now.

A good system and those Diamond coupons can come in handy. :)

Maybe it's changed, but you used to have to go to the internet cafe and use one of their computers to set up an onboard wifi account. Then once set up, you sign on to the wifi on your mobile device or laptop using the login account you created. Again though, maybe that's changed and you can create the account/purchase wifi package directly from your device. (Either way, you still go to airplane mode then turn on wifi)

Yes, you no longer have to go to a guest computer and swipe your card. You sign up directly on your own device now, using your folio number and other identifying information.

I was able to use my Internet free on my prepaid Straighttalk phone in Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St Croix on my recent Adventure cruise. Was also able to text and call home. They phone is prepaid so no worries about roaming charges.

There is plenty of free wifi to be found in bars and restaurants at all the ports too.

I did not feel the need to order an Internet package.

Thanks for the confirmation that it is airplane mode first, then wifi, and that the ship's wifi will automatically come up.

If you want to be able to receive text messages or phone calls, then putting your phone in airplane mode will prevent that (unless your phone has wifi calling). The alternative method is just to turn your cellular data off or if your phone has such a setting, just turn data roaming off. Either one will prevent your phone from running up cellular data charges.

Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. Croix are all U.S. "owned" islands. I know AT&T works without additional charges in those ports. I have never been lucky enough to have three US stops on a cruise though.

It will vary by carrier, however. On Verizon, for example, Puerto Rico is a "home" territory and my phone works just like at home for calling, texts and Internet but the USVI is NOT "home" and would require an international package or I would incur roaming charges.