pullman bed in inside cabin

triplestar

A question I am sure Jim & Stan will be able to answer. We have just booked an interior cabin for a very reasonably priced cruise on the Nautica (in fact our airfare from NZ is more.)However this is a cabin for 4 , we will only be 2 & they mention a Pullman bed, is this above the main bed all the time or is it only pulled out if cabin has 4 passengers. My husband is not too keen on an interior cabin anyway & if he was to discover another bed over his head once on board heaven help us .

It's only pulled down when they need it. We've been in them before and barely noticed the little hooks on the wall. I wouldn't hesitate to book a cabin with one.

We've cruised in more than a few inside rooms, and found them to be great. The room itself is really not much smaller than a veranda room. They are so much cheaper than the other rooms that I feel they're worth not having a view, and having a little less space. The inside cabins are usually the first to be sold (especially the G's); I would jump on this!!!

A question I am sure Jim & Stan will be able to answer. We have just booked an interior cabin for a very reasonably priced cruise on the Nautica (in fact our airfare from NZ is more.)However this is a cabin for 4 , we will only be 2 & they mention a Pullman bed, is this above the main bed all the time or is it only pulled out if cabin has 4 passengers. My husband is not too keen on an interior cabin anyway & if he was to discover another bed over his head once on board heaven help us .

I have spent time in an inside on the R ships like Nautica, They are great, however labeling any cabin for 4...even a penthouse is beyond funny.

The sofa makes into a bed and the second bed folds into the wall neat as a pin.

I think the thinking behind putting 4 in a cabin any where on the ship, with 1 bathroom is the inherent logic, That by day 3 of the cruise, 2 of the cabin mates will have killed the other two.

Sometimes this situation resolves itself and 2 or more of the cabin mates have committed suicide on their own accord. In either case the remaining folks will be happy and feel no guilt on performing the necessary options. All start as friends but soon discomfort leads to anger leads to rage and finally homicidal madness.

Untill you have a cabin with 2 full baths and 350+ sq feet your in seagoing hell with 4 people

I have spent time in an inside on the R ships like Nautica, They are great, however labeling any cabin for 4...even a penthouse is beyond funny ... [t]he thinking behind putting 4 in a cabin any where on the ship, with 1 bathroom is the inherent logic that by day 3 of the cruise, 2 of the cabin mates will have killed the other two.

LOL, Dan, I completely agree. I remember inquiring of Renaissance back in the day about having my mother sail with us in an OWNER'S SUITE on an "R" ship. After all, there was a second bathroom ... well, a second HALF bath, but at least basic needs were met.

I was informed that even the OS at 1000 or so sf was too small for more than two people. And when we did book one (the first and last time we did) I had to agree. Especially with my mother! That half-bath would not have met her needs.

And yes, adding people even in a PH is very tight. On Marina, even in a VS or OC it is hard for me to visualize comfort for more than two people despite all the room ... yes, there is a second bathroom but sleeping areas for additional people to my mind are not at all comfortable.

I know people have done it and not killed each other. But I doubt I would have been one of them.

Mura

Surely the extra berths are for children :D. They don't take up as much room as adults.

Yes, I assume they're for small children. However, it's rare to see small children on Oceania ships, so I suspect most of the time they never get used. I can't really imagine an adult wanting to sleep there with 2 other people in an inside cabin.

I think triplestar should have her room attendant pull down the bed and take a picture of it so we can all see it. I've never slept in a pullman bed before. Look for one inch metal rings....I think on the long wall, next to the bed.

I would have chosen 2 days in London and then staying in an inside cabin over no days in London and then a larger cabin, particularly since I don't spend all that much time in the room anyway. If you want to see what's outside, keep in mind there's a web cam that is televised on one of the channels. It's not the same as having a veranda or even a porthole, but at least you can check it when you get up to get a sense of the weather, and check it periodically to see if there's land ahoy.

I think we should all bear in mind that when Renaissance built the "R" ships children were not permitted period. I think the age limit then (correct me if I am wrong but this is my recollection) was 18 or 19. We did see a young lady on a Renaissance cruise who looked to me to be about 16 but no one complained about her, and she may simply have looked young (as I did at that age).

So it's hard for me to believe that the pullmans were intended for young children ...

Just a nit pick.

Mura

You are safe on two counts.

1) The beds retract into the ceiling when not in use.

2) They are positioned along the perimeter of the room, and would not be directly over the beds when they are configured as a single Queen sized bed.

inside-stateroom-sm.jpg

In the photograph above, you can clearly see the slots where the upper beds retract back into the ceiling, when not in use.

This is how the mechanism works:

224957.jpg

PS. Mura,

I agree that given Ren's policies, They probably didn't design the R ships upper berths with children in mind, and with a purported 250 lbs weight limit, some adults may not find them useful either:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1670626

However, there seems to be a growing number of people who wish or require to be able to travel (however discreetly) with staff of some kind.

Whether taking along a secretarial, security or medical "companion", if the employee needs their own set of accommodations, those minimum grade cabins seem to fit the bill. I wonder if the Ren designers foresaw that need?

They were prescient in so many other ways.

Edited by StanandJim
  • Like 1

We are taking our ten year old twin grandsons to Alaska in an inside with two pullmans. I'm thinking of it as luxury camping.

I love the inside cabins-quiet, minimal ship motion, and in Alaska and other places far north, no sleep problems because it is completely dark at night. Verandas are nice when I am outside but I get seasick if I look out from inside the cabin and see the ocean going up and down.

Mary

PS. Mura,

I agree that given Ren's policies, They probably didn't design the R ships upper berths with children in mind, and with a purported 250 lbs weight limit, some adults may not find them useful either:

However, there seems to be a growing number of people who wish or require to be able to travel (however discreetly) with staff of some kind.

Whether taking along a secretarial, security or medical "companion", if the employee needs their own set of accommodations, those minimum grade cabins seem to fit the bill. I wonder if the Ren designers foresaw that need?

Now why didn't I think of that??!! A very interesting idea. It definitely becomes more affordable if you can accommodate an extra person or two without needing a second cabin.

Mura

But if the employee needed their own set of accommodations surely they could sleep in the proper bed, could they not? Why would they need the pullman?

Mura, are you suggesting that if you bring a secretary they share your stateroom? I'd put my foot down if Mr suggested that!

I am quite fascinated by this idea of a pullman bed. I knew that some staterooms had sofa beds but didn't know that there were beds that came down from the ceiling. It's like on a proper sailing yacht where you have berths attached to the walls that fold away in the daytime.

How many cabins have them? I learn so much from these boards :).

Edited by SellaVee

But if the employee needed their own set of accommodations surely they could sleep in the proper bed, could they not? Why would they need the pullman?

Mura, are you suggesting that if you bring a secretary they share your stateroom? I'd put my foot down if Mr suggested that!

I am quite fascinated by this idea of a pullman bed. I knew that some staterooms had sofa beds but didn't know that there were beds that came down from the ceiling. It's like on a proper sailing yacht where you have berths attached to the walls that fold away in the daytime.

How many cabins have them? I learn so much from these boards :).

On the R ships, there are only upper berths in the "Quads with Pullmans", i.e those inside staterooms which are able to accommodate four passengers as designated by a black box icon on the deck plans.

150747.jpg

During the two occasions when I've witnessed one of these cabins being utilized by a paid companion, the stateroom was maintained as a business office, the regular bed was stripped of linens and used for storage, and the occupant slept in an upper berth.

At the time, I assumed that using the upper was a bow to maintaining a businesslike atmosphere, and while I still think that is true, I realize now that it was also a subtle reminder that the companion was working, not cruising.

This is certainly a more interesting conversation than some on Cruise Critic!

Thanks for the pictures, and the thought of the pullmans being used for a companion - although, yes, I would think that would only be the case if the person was traveling with 2 people!

As for the number of rooms with pullmans, I just looked at the deck plans and came up with 12 on the small "R" ships and none for the bigger ships. There are the following, well-marked on the deck plans, although you need to move the "bar" to the middle to get an enlargement:

Deck 7: 4 inside rooms (category F or G, same room except for location) marked with a square, which indicates quad pullman

2 triple with pullman (triangle)

Deck 8: same count, so 8 quad pullman inside rooms and 4 triple pullman inside rooms

I didn't look at any room category other than inside, so have no clue if there are other pullman beds lurking anywhere.

For comparison purposes, I forget how many F & G rooms there are, but it's not a lot - maybe 15 tops?

There's a loveseat in F & G inside rooms, too, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to sleep there every night!

• 3 years later...
On 5/11/2016 at 11:23 PM, StanandJim said:

You are safe on two counts.

1) The beds retract into the ceiling when not in use.

2) They are positioned along the perimeter of the room, and would not be directly over the beds when they are configured as a single Queen sized bed.

inside-stateroom-sm.jpg

In the photograph above, you can clearly see the slots where the upper beds retract back into the ceiling, when not in use.

This is how the mechanism works:

224957.jpg

PS. Mura,

Thanks for this photo, I found in this old thread by searching...

It answers one of my  concerns of booking this type of cabin for just two of us...

I have seen some inside cabins on other ships with "pullman" type beds that hang off the walls, that even when raised, infringe somewhat on the limited cabin space.

This design apparently is completely out of the way when raised into its recess in the ceiling....🙂