Did I make a mistake? Pride - 3 afts in a row

poblead

I just booked the Pride for next June 2017 and I LOVED the aft on the Legend so much I just booked 3 Aft balconies in a row for my family, my mom/dad and my sister/BIL. now I'm scare because of the reviews about the 'movement'. I don't remember much movement.. some vibrations on the legend occasional but not rocking.. I just remember how awesome it was at sailaway, sunset and in general watching the wake...

also.. do the partitions open on the aft balconies??

FYI rooms booked - 8277 8272 and 8270

Thoughts?? Should we stick with our 3 afts?

Thanks

Diane

Edited by poblead
adding info

I just booked the Pride for next June 2017 and I LOVED the aft on the Legend so much I just booked 3 Aft balconies in a row for my family, my mom/dad and my sister/BIL. now I'm scare because of the reviews about the 'movement'. I don't remember much movement.. some vibrations on the legend occasional but not rocking.. I just remember how awesome it was at sailaway, sunset and in general watching the wake...

also.. do the partitions open on the aft balconies??

Thoughts?? Should we stick with our 3 afts?

Thanks

Diane

I love the ext afts, just make sure you have a sofa and coffee table, if that matters to you, b/c the afts next to the corner wraps arw sometimes considerably smaller than the middle ext afts. Check Deck Plans, click on cabin and check the 360 view, layout and details.

The partitions do open between balconies, but DH and I and in-laws were in 8270 and 8272 on the Pride last July and we were miserable. The vibrations from the engines were out of control. We had a bottle of wine sitting on the desk and it would move across the desk during the day just from the vibrations. I will never do an AFT balcony on the Spirit class ships ever again

Not sure about the room but definitely vibrations in the dinning room

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. To the point where I don't think we will sail the Pride again. We don't have a problem with sea sickness. But we felt sick almost every night in the dining room.

We had 5297 in Jan. 2016. The partitions do not open. The vibration was there but not something that would keep me from booking the same cabin again. Vibration was worse in the dining room than our cabin. I know it bothers a lot of folks but it didn't bother us.

Generally, aft balcony partitions don't open...but there's plenty of space for sharing one or the other's balcony!

Yes they do.

Had four aft balconies on Spirit and, other than the aft wrap, all balconies opened between the other three cabins.

Also had the same thing on Liberty and it was the same way.

Take care,

Mike

We had 5297 in Jan. 2016. The partitions do not open. The vibration was there but not something that would keep me from booking the same cabin again. Vibration was worse in the dining room than our cabin. I know it bothers a lot of folks but it didn't bother us.

Regarding the vibrations in the MDR...

Question to previous passengers who know: What section of the MDR -- which is very big & multiple floors --- needs to be avoided most? Which part is smoothest? Thanks. :confused:

We were on the Pride 4/23 - 5/1/16, and our friends were in 8270. I asked about the vibration, after reading about it here before. They said there was vibration, but nothing too bad. It didn't bother them at all.

Our late dinner seating was allthe way in the back of the ship, by a window, and while there was some vibration, it wasn't bad. Nothing moved on the table or anything, you just felt it.

I stayed in 8272 last May. I would never stay in that cabin again due to the vibration. Last March my table in the MDR was almost all the way to the back on deck 2. I thought the vibration there was excessive, but not unbearable. When I've been on the Grandeur of the Seas, I usually can't feel that the ship is moving. On the Pride there is no question it is moving.

We were just on Pride in March and had 6264, aft ext. Yes, there was a little vibration, but nothing more so than any other aft cabin we have stayed in on ships...nothing rattled off the desk, safe door didn't rattle and keep us awake, etc. The only drawback was that our balcony didn't have a traditional lounger chair, just a regular chair that reclined.

The dividers DO open on the Spirit class aft balconies but the one time I requested to have it opened I was told they could not due to fire restrictions. Ok.....

They will open them when they do their weekly balcony "wash".

Between the Miracle, Pride, and the Spirit I've stayed in all of the deck 4 aft (and wraps) on a Spirit class ship. All four center cabins are identical. The deck 4 wraps are maybe the best cabins in the fleet. Deck 4 has deeper aft balconies and a full overhang over head.

One thing to always remember when taking a cruise. You will be on a large ship that is on the ocean and the ocean moves. Large engines and propellers move the ship and the action of the propellor or Azipod will disperse the water to propel the ship and can cause vibration.

If you don't want any movement or vibration then book the Hilton. If you want to go on a cruise then book a cabin in the center of the ship on a low deck. Then you have to contend with noise but not movement.

Take care,

Mike

One thing to always remember when taking a cruise. You will be on a large ship that is on the ocean and the ocean moves. Large engines and propellers move the ship and the action of the propellor or Azipod will disperse the water to propel the ship and can cause vibration.

If you don't want any movement or vibration then book the Hilton. If you want to go on a cruise then book a cabin in the center of the ship on a low deck. Then you have to contend with noise but not movement.

Take care,

Mike

What "noise" are you talking about Mike? I am staying midship deck 6. In your opinion what will I experience?

Sue

Take care,

Mike

Condescend much? I've spent my entire adult life at sea, and I can tell you that PRIDE has definitely got a vibration problem aft. I've sailed her twice and felt it firsthand sitting aft in the MDR. Yes, ships move and will vibrate some at high speed, but the vibes are excessive on PRIDE, are felt at all speeds, and have been an ongoing issue with that ship for years. Everyone has a different tolerance for noise and movement at sea (I routinely slept thru flight ops going on directly over my head) but personally I go to sea now to relax, and I do not like to deal with vibes in my stateroom like I've felt in the MDR. My $.02.

What "noise" are you talking about Mike? I am staying midship deck 6. In your opinion what will I experience?

Sue

Lower decks often have public areas above them and can be a bit more noisy. The decks I'm referring to are usually deck 4 and below. On deck six you may want to see what's under you.

Take care,

Mike

3 cruises on the Pride over the past 5 years, all 3 with aft cabins (6269, 7299, and 8255). Only time I noticed the vibration was in the main dining room. Made me wonder how sawft those people were that claimed it was like experiencing a 8.4 earthquake in their cabin the entire voyage.

Condescend much? I've spent my entire adult life at sea, and I can tell you that PRIDE has definitely got a vibration problem aft. I've sailed her twice and felt it firsthand sitting aft in the MDR. Yes, ships move and will vibrate some at high speed, but the vibes are excessive on PRIDE, are felt at all speeds, and have been an ongoing issue with that ship for years. Everyone has a different tolerance for noise and movement at sea (I routinely slept thru flight ops going on directly over my head) but personally I go to sea now to relax, and I do not like to deal with vibes in my stateroom like I've felt in the MDR. My $.02.

There may well be a problem with Pride. The Century class ships of Celebrity also had a problem with aft vibration in the dining rooms.

The issue I'm having is that people are somewhat crying wolf over vibration on aft balconies. Small amounts of vibration are being described as severe and when there is really a problem then I have a hard time believing it and it places an unwarranted stigma on these cabins. I have sailed in an aft balcony on the Pride but that was five years ago and there was no real vibration. I've sailed in aft balconies on close to 30 different ships and the only major vibration was on Carnival Liberty when the ship hit a fishing net and lost the use of the starboard screw.

There is another thread in which someone wrote about the terrible vibration on the Magic. They were on the same cruise I was on and I too was in an aft balcony on Deck 5. There was no excessive vibration. Yes, there was some vibration, especially at docking but nothing that rattled glasses, knocked things on the floor or would cause anyone, except the most sensitive, to be annoyed by it. This really heightens anxiety for new cruisers.

Then again, I love aft balconies and if everyone thinks there is too much vibration then they will not fill up as fast.

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

Regarding the vibrations in the MDR...

Question to previous passengers who know: What section of the MDR -- which is very big & multiple floors --- needs to be avoided most? Which part is smoothest? Thanks. :confused:

Pretty much the same regardless of deck 2 or 3, up front or all the way in the back.

We felt more vibration on the Pride than any other Carnival ship that we have been on. The vibration in the aft dining room was pretty bad. Our silverware moved on the table and sometimes you could see the water goblets shake. Our extended balcony was close to midship and we felt some vibrations while lying in the bed - more than we have felt on any other ship. Did it ruin the cruise? No, but it was noticeable. One of the staff said the vibration became much worse after the Green Thunder was installed, but I do not know if that is true as we never sailed the Pride before. We were on the Pride for a 21 day B2B in October of 2015.