Viking Homelands Shore Excursion to Berlin?

gimp1956

I saw something in another cruiser's review that Berlin is a 3 hour ride from the ship. True? Seems as if you will spend the whole day in the bus.

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

I saw something in another cruiser's review that Berlin is a 3 hour ride from the ship. True? Seems as if you will spend the whole day in the bus.

What I've been told: this year Viking has rented a train for transportation to and from Berlin. It still is 3 hours there and 3 hours back. There is an hour and a half panoramic bus tour and then about 4 hours on your own. It is suppose to be a 12 hour excursion so that does mean half the time is in transport or to look at it another way, half the time is in Berlin. On our cruise it leaves at 6:30 and returns at 18:30 to the ship. In time for dinner on board. Now you just have to figure out if you think it is worth the time. Having never been to Berlin or Europe, it is something that I would be a fool to pass up--for me. It's not as good as a weekend or week but on a cruise those are not options. In a way, you paid for it whether you go or not, as it is included. That would be at least a $100 value you're tossing away. If you live close by and could see a separate trip then you might decide to give it the time it deserves on another occasion. Texas is a long way from Berlin and I may never be this close again.

We are booked on the Viking Homelands itinerary this summer and although we thought long and hard we opted for the Rostock and brewery tours which keep us close to the ship. I would love to see Berlin but would hate the long ride (bus or train) and having so little time in the city to explore.

We will likely travel again and will look to include Berlin in our travels at some time ... this trip however we will keep our very long rides on the water.

We stayed in Warnemaude and LOVED IT. Quaint seaside town with tons of restaurants, bars, and shops. We went back and forth from the ship 3 different times. It was about a two block walk. Loved it and loved having the ship to ourselves (along with probably a couple hundred of our best friends!)

Most (but not all) of those on our cruise gripped about the long bus ride which turned out to be 4 hours going and 5 hours back. As I recall they didn't return to the ship until almost 11:00 pm. If Viking has switched from train that's certainly better, but remember that only gets you to the train station in Berlin.

We went to an optional Castle but don't remember the name.

Most (but not all) of those on our cruise gripped about the long bus ride which turned out to be 4 hours going and 5 hours back. As I recall they didn't return to the ship until almost 11:00 pm. If Viking has switched from train that's certainly better, but remember that only gets you to the train station in Berlin.

I'm confused. If on a "Viking Ocean" Cruise, why plan on Berlin?

Elizabeth, was that the Schwerin Castle tour? I am considering that instead of Berlin.

We live right outside NYC, so spending all that time in the bus to go to a big city is not high on my hit parade.

We stopped at Warnemunde/Rostock a few years ago off an Oceania cruise. Instead of spending hours on the trip to/from Berlin, we took a tour to Wismar with Dave (Friends of Dave Tours).

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187364-d1647222-Reviews-Friends_of_Dave_Tours-Warnemunde_Rostock_Mecklenburg_West_Pomerania.html

We had a great time. It was one of the best shorex ever.

We are on the August Homelands cruise and have not booked the Berlin trip because of the time traveling there and back. As we live in the UK we are looking to arrange a weekend in Berlin at some other time. If you are from the states then I can see that the Berlin tour might be a must do for you. You could always book a private tour but you would still have the long journeys although you might be more comfortable in the back of a Mercedes than in a tour bus and the tour operator would tailor the tour to suit your requirements.

Carl and Irene.

Yes - that was it - so glad you could remember for me! The castle was fabulous. The guide you get for the castle is a castle guide/docent - not the Viking supplied guide. Our Viking supplied guide was HORRIBLE! but the castle guide was great. Viking had many negative reports about him, so I'm sure they don't use him anymore. Just fair warning - the bus ride to the castle was not short - can't remember how long it was, but it wasn't short - definitely shorter than Berlin though.

We're in Bucharest right now or I would look up the details in my notes. I did do a fairly lenghty review on Cruise Critic in this Viking Oceans forum entitled something like "Excursions Optional and Included 50-day maiden". I did write ups of all our excursions up through Greenwich.

We stayed in Warnemaude and LOVED IT. Quaint seaside town with tons of restaurants, bars, and shops. We went back and forth from the ship 3 different times. It was about a two block walk. Loved it and loved having the ship to ourselves (along with probably a couple hundred of our best friends!)

Warnemunde is a very attractive seaside resort that has developed from a former fishing village.

It is very easy to get into Rostock via the local train, or by a 'Blaue Flotte' boat.

If Viking has switched from train that's certainly better, but remember that only gets you to the train station in Berlin

According to Viking, there is a bus tour for an hour and a half before you are dropped off on your own and I assume you are picked up at a certain time and location and transported back to the train.

• 5 weeks later...

We spent the day in Warnemunde and totally enjoyed our time there. I have a tough time being in a bus for that length of time, so it was a good choice for us.

We enjoyed exploring on our own, then returning to the almost empty Viking Star and relaxing - for us, it was - what's not to like about that!?

I was on the Sea in May and did the Viking Berlin excursion. We went by train, about 2 1/2 hours each way. We were seated in little rooms on long seats facing each other, so we just visited like we would have sitting around on the ship. Viking was very attentive, as someone was frequently coming to check on us, bring water and snacks, and keep us posted about where we were. The Berlin tour was by bus, the guide was very good, and took us all over the city to see the important tourist places. We ate a very local German lunch of Dom Curry at an outdoor stand in a park.....I can't say it was my favorite, but it was what the locals eat so was a very good experience. Toward the end of our time in town, the bus parked on a city street and the guide directed us to a few shops close by for those who wanted to shop. Then we went back to the train and back to the ship. The ride back included beer and wine as well as snacks. When we arrived back to the ship, a number of the ships officers and crew were lined up on either side of the walkway and applauded our arrival. We also were served champagne but had to drink it before boarding the ship, so most got left on the dock, but it was a nice gesture. We do not anticipate ever getting back to that part of Germany, so we were glad to have an opportunity to see the Berlin Wall, etc. while we were so close.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife & I are on the Star "Homelands" cruise leaving in just a few days on July 10--can't wait! We used to live in Germany in the 70s/80s and had a grand time in Berlin (communist side and all!), so decided to tour the Warnemunde/Mecklenburg area on our port day, and had booked a 7+ hour tour with "Friends of Dave'. Yesterday he informed us that he had to cancel this tour due to a medical issue with his guide. My wife found a really great alternative with Blau Flotte and small river cruise company who have some really cool small ships which for 15E per person take you to and from Warnemunde to Rostock, allowing you to roam Rostock and have lunch then return at your leisure. Will make a nice quiet day and a chance to re-kindle some fond memories of venturing out on our own when we lived in Germany.

Rest of cruise will be filled with a combination of 3 "freebies" with Viking, 3 pf their paid tours, and 6 we have booked on our own in St.P, Tallinn, Copenhagen, Stavanger, Warnemunde, & Flam.

We booked the Radisson Blu Waterfront pre-cruise on our own not knowing this is the hotel that Viking uses. Oh well, too late to change!...just kidding, as we have a pretty full plate of plans to tour Stockholm on our own (bought Stockholm Passes).

JiminyC-- saw your comment earlier about concern on you own while traveling in Europe, and you made the right choice if it allays your fears. However, based on our past experience (some of which is quite recent), traveling in most of Europe is probably safer than travel in many US cities, and certainly more safe than Mexico. Have a grand trip!!

• 1 month later...
My wife & I are on the Star "Homelands" cruise leaving in just a few days on July 10--can't wait! We used to live in Germany in the 70s/80s and had a grand time in Berlin (communist side and all!), so decided to tour the Warnemunde/Mecklenburg area on our port day, and had booked a 7+ hour tour with "Friends of Dave'. Yesterday he informed us that he had to cancel this tour due to a medical issue with his guide. My wife found a really great alternative with Blau Flotte and small river cruise company who have some really cool small ships which for 15E per person take you to and from Warnemunde to Rostock, allowing you to roam Rostock and have lunch then return at your leisure. Will make a nice quiet day and a chance to re-kindle some fond memories of venturing out on our own when we lived in Germany.

Rest of cruise will be filled with a combination of 3 "freebies" with Viking, 3 pf their paid tours, and 6 we have booked on our own in St.P, Tallinn, Copenhagen, Stavanger, Warnemunde, & Flam.

We booked the Radisson Blu Waterfront pre-cruise on our own not knowing this is the hotel that Viking uses. Oh well, too late to change!...just kidding, as we have a pretty full plate of plans to tour Stockholm on our own (bought Stockholm Passes).

JiminyC-- saw your comment earlier about concern on you own while traveling in Europe, and you made the right choice if it allays your fears. However, based on our past experience (some of which is quite recent), traveling in most of Europe is probably safer than travel in many US cities, and certainly more safe than Mexico. Have a grand trip!!

Sorry, just saw your response. My fear isn't for safety but for getting lost with transportation, haha. We are all booked now and doing research on the ports. I would love to hear all about your trip. Pros and cons etc.

We did this HAL a couple of years ago on a bus. Yep--its about 3 hours to Berlin, with 3 hours in Berlin, and 3 hours back. There were pit stops about 1/2 way, each way. We felt it was really worthwhile, had a great guide that had pictures of the major sights before WWII, after WWII, and you could see how they look now. Some have been amazingly restored. My daughter was in Berlin in 2003, she was amazed by the changes in the old East Germany section.

We did it as we had no idea when we might be in the area again, if ever. My husband has family in Bavaria--but it too is quite a distance from Berlin.

Friends we were travelling with did Scherwin(?) Castle on their own using the train.

Just got back from Viking Homelands last week. Unlike last year, Viking contracted with a company that provides a dedicated train for everybody going to Berlin or to the concentration camp tour. Which in our case meant 2/3 of the passengers. Makes a lot of sense. Think there were at least 12 cars (we were in car M). Each car has its own lavatory. The only stop is to let off folks going to or coming back from Sachsenhausen. The train leaves at 6am and gets you back to the ship by 6pm. To be greeted by the entire ship's crew with lots of music and clapping and champagne that you COULD (at least I did) take with you to your cabin to finish.

The trip each way is about 3 hrs (or a little less). The ship starts serving breakfast at 5 so if you feel the need you can grab something before you go. The train cruise operators (each car gets their own attendant) provide you with coffee and tea (pot of hot water with instant - sorry) and a light snack on the way down. During the return you get a little heavier snack along with whatever drink you want including beer and wine. Does this help?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1

Another thing about shore excursions. Please remember that in St Petersburg you can NOT get off the ship on your own unless you have a Visa. Otherwise you must be with a private tour group or with one of the Viking excursions. As we were coming back from day 2 of our ultimate St Petersburg tour I got chatting with a couple who had been stuck on board ship the entire 2 days because they thought they could jump off the ship and go touring on their own as they certainly could in any of the other ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CharTrav

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably too late, but I strongly recommend NOT going to Berlin. Our bus A/C was broken, and the entire experience was AWFUL. I know I posted about this in other threads. The Berlin trip is simply not Viking quality. Your eyes may fall on some major landmarks, but you will be left frustrated, tired, and unsatisfied. Do something closer to the port and leave Berlin for a river cruise.