Train Civi Port to Rome

cruisequeen4ever

Thanks Hank! I think we will buy our return ticket upon arrival in Civitavecchia the week prior.

How much does does a 1 way subway cost in Rome? 1.5 Euro? Wondering whether the BIRG is worth it.

Edited by Host Jacquelyn

Maybe the newsstand inside the station has caught on to this and now charges the additional Euro as well, but when I bought a BIRG from him a few years ago he only charged the €12 face value of the ticket. The lines I saw at Civitavecchia were for the Trenitalia windows, the wrong place to be purchasing a regional ticket issued by ATAC, not Trenitalia.

A single use bus, metro, or tram ticket in Rome is €1,50.

The regular train fare is €4,60 each way to most of the Rome stations, or €5 each way if using Termini.

Therefore, you'd need to use some form of city transit at least two times to make the BIRG an economic benefit.

There are other considerations beyond just economic. One is the time to purchase the ticket - the lines for both the ticket booth and the machines at Civitavecchia are usually very long so if you can buy the BIRG from a place without lines (like the newsstand inside the station) you can save a lot of time. Another is simply the convenience of having one ticket and not needing to worry about where to purchase individual use tickets while on the fly in Rome.

Yes, if you wait and take a train around 10 AM you'll miss both the day trippers as well as the regular commuters.

Thanks, I guess we'll do that. Which means buying a return ticket I guess, when we head out to Civi from Termini for the cruise.

Thanks Hank! I think we will buy our return ticket upon arrival in Civitavecchia the week prior.

How much does does a 1 way subway cost in Rome? 1.5 Euro? Wondering whether the BIRG is worth it.

I presume you can just buy a regular return ticket Rome-Civi-Rome at Termini Station? Can you do that at a machine? Or should we buy from a kiosk outside the station?

I presume you can just buy a regular return ticket Rome-Civi-Rome at Termini Station? Can you do that at a machine? Or should we buy from a kiosk outside the station?
Yes, you can purchase both tickets at the same time from the machines inside the train station. You can buy them days in advance if you want to; regional tickets only become "active" when you validate them in the machines before beginning the journey.

Between Termini and Civitavecchia you have a choice of trains; regionals, intercity, and frecce. If you are traveling with luggage it may be worth the additional cost for an IC or Frecce train where you have an assigned seat and a bit more room for luggage. Note that if you use the regional train from Termini to Civitavecchia they use the south side auxiliary tracks located about three blocks from the main trackhead.

Edited by euro cruiser

Every time we have cruised with RC and Celebrity for the last few years they have docked at 25. I have taken the liberty of looking at your posts and can see that you are on the Brilliance on 1 July. We are doing exactly that itinerary next week so I will come back onto this thread and confirm which berth we are at.

However, I would point out that we did the very same itinerary on Serenade in 2014 and were definitely at Pier 25 then.

Well if we are going strictly from personal experience, we were on X Reflection last summer and X Silhouette in 2013, and both times we docked at 12!

Anyhow, I noticed that Brilliance docked at 13a yesterday (I think you are currently on this sailing?) with X Equinox behind her at 13b. I think Epic was at 25 with a smaller ship at 12b. Based on this, the only discernible pattern I see is that the smaller the ship, the closer you dock to Forte Michelangelo. I will continue to follow this to see if this pattern holds. or if a ship's docking location is completely random. If I can't discern a pattern, unless someone knows someone who works for the port authority at Civitavecchia or has information on where each ship will dock in advance, it makes it impossible to plan ahead (i.e. shuttle, walk or private transfer).

Edited by Terpnut

Yes, you can purchase both tickets at the same time from the machines inside the train station. You can buy them days in advance if you want to; regional tickets only become "active" when you validate them in the machines before beginning the journey.

Between Termini and Civitavecchia you have a choice of trains; regionals, intercity, and frecce. If you are traveling with luggage it may be worth the additional cost for an IC or Frecce train where you have an assigned seat and a bit more room for luggage. Note that if you use the regional train from Termini to Civitavecchia they use the south side auxiliary tracks located about three blocks from the main trackhead.

Okay, so if Regional, I purchase the tickets at the ATAC machine, not the Trenitalia booth. If I decide to do the Frecce (Bianca I think), I can buy them online in advance (and pay for one change, I believe.) We travel fairly light, luggage shouldn't be a terrible problem, but I'd love to try the Frecciabianca.

If you buy in advance on the Frecce, do you need to exchange vouchers for real tickets at the station?

If you buy in advance on the Frecce, do you need to exchange vouchers for real tickets at the station?

No, you can board directly with the tickets you printed at home or even go paper-less. And unlike the locals and regionals, you don't need to validate your tickets at the station prior to boarding because the inter-city (the Frecce express trains) assigns you a car and seats. To go all electronic/ticket-less, Trenitalia just needs your PNR (a six-digit alpha/numeric ticket number), so the most important thing is to know/have your PNR number and then you won't even need any paper! Or print and bring your paper ticket, and in the worst case if you lose it, have the PNR in your email or somewhere on your phone as a backup! p:) Edited by Terpnut

No, you can board directly with the tickets you printed at home or even go paper-less. And unlike the locals and regionals, you don't need to validate your tickets at the station prior to boarding because the inter-city (the Frecce express trains) assigns you a car and seats. To go all electronic/ticket-less, Trenitalia just needs your PNR (a six-digit alpha/numeric ticket number), so the most important thing is to know/have your PNR number and then you won't even need any paper! Or print and bring your paper ticket, and in the worst case if you lose it, have the PNR in your email or somewhere on your phone as a backup! p:)

Sounds terrific, I'm sold. Only catch I think is that there's no Frecce train out of Civi until 11:18, whereas getting the 9:58 Regionale seems about right. Oh well, I'll wait until the tickets are actually saleable for both directions, which is a few days. It appears I can buy a return ticket that's a mixture of the two.

Okay, so if Regional, I purchase the tickets at the ATAC machine, not the Trenitalia booth. If I decide to do the Frecce (Bianca I think), I can buy them online in advance (and pay for one change, I believe.) We travel fairly light, luggage shouldn't be a terrible problem, but I'd love to try the Frecciabianca.

No, you purchase all Trenitalia tickets from the Trenitalia machines. The only ATAC ticket that has anything to do with trains is the BIRG.

We call into civitavecchia tomorrow on brilliance and I'll report back then. I agree that the smaller the ship the closer they seem to dock to the fort. If the biggest ship is in 25 I believe Independence is in tomorrow so she'll be the 'lucky' one

The only reason for my posting on this thread was to make people aware that it may not be a simple 20 minute walk to the station

Today Brilliance is docked in berth 12 on the port map. Jewel was on no 25 which is the furthest and I suspect this is because there is an actual terminal building (tent) there and it was turnaround day for jewel.

Not sure why Terpnut had us in Civitavecchia a few days ago :confused:

We didn't leave the ship until around 11.30. We waited almost 10 mins for a bus and thankfully 2 came at the same time as there were over 50 people waiting by that time. The bus then took a circuitous route past the fort and the.old port bus stop - there is no stop there now - and all the way away from town to the regular port bus stop. There was a bus to the station but a long line with people with cases having disembarked one of the other ships.

We walked from the port bus stop almost to the station and it took around 20 minutes - almost 15 minutes to the fort and 5-10 mins from the fort to the station . On the way back we thought it was pointless to head all the way to the port bus so we walked to the ship. It took us 20 mins from the fort to the ship so would need to add on another 5-10 mins to the station.

It seems to be a lottery where any ship will stop but I would say if you dock at 12 and can handle the walk it would be worth just walking to the station. There is no queuing system for the port bus and it's just a free for all when it arrives If you dock at 25 it will be a 35-40 minute walk on unmarked pathways

In any case it's a lot less easy than it used to be some years ago