Grand Mexico Riviera Brief Review

Tedferg

Cruise Raider -

Quote - One time, we just walked up into the hills and found a lovely old hotel and stopped for a cold beer and a delightful conversation with the proprietor followed by a tour of the hotel. I found it to be quite interesting ... not a touristy hotel at all ... just very beautiful with all the carved wood, central staircase and beautiful gardens. We went with 3 other couples and ended up toodling around town -- real Mexico which we all just found it to be charming ...although maybe not in the way most people would see it. We enjoyed the architecture (some was absolutely gorgeous) and the warm nature of the locals. We ducked into local establishments where there was no touristy garbage available. Not everyone's cup of tea but we loved it.

The next couple of times, we went to either the Barceló or Las Hadas ... both of which are beautiful hotels in Manzanillo ... but in the opposite direction of where we walked up into the hills. Las Hadas is an old hotel, but still quite beautiful, known for being in the movie '10' with Bo Derek. Barceló is newer but also quite lovely. Just a nice beach day at these two hotels.

This last time, in December, we tour a ship's tour to the Turtle Sanctuary and it turned out to be the best tour I have taken in all of Mexico. We had a great tour guide and started out by visiting the Turtle Sanctuary and we able to release the baby turtles into the ocean....so cute. After touring this facility, we went to the salt museum, which some thought was dorky but we really enjoyed it. Following that, we stopped for a much needed refreshment of ice cold beers and a fantastic lunch. We even had time to walk down to the market on the beach to poke around. Again...this was not your typical tourist market so if that is what one likes, this wouldn't be the place for you. Anyhow, upon our return to town, we were trying to hunt down some of this most amazing hot sauce we had with our lunch. We ended up finding it in this 'Kiosk' store, similar to our 7-eleven stores in the states. I found 3 bottles, handed her a US dollar .... and got change!!

On our way back to the ship, we stopped and talked to one of the workers on the pier and he explained the story of the brightly painted dog statues that are mounted along the pier's edge. There is an interesting history behind these statues that so many tourists walk by. They guide the departed to heaven.

I guess all of these trips have added to loving Manzanillo and actually love that nobody is hounding you to buy this or that. In no time have I felt as though I was in danger in this lovely port of call. Maybe that is naïve, but the sense I get when visiting there.

In Mazatlán, I feel just the opposite. It is so filthy dirty there and you cannot take two steps without someone trying to sell you this or that....or someone trying to get their hands in your pocket....it is just overwhelming. I have been over to both Deer Island and Stone Island ... both of which also felt so scummy. I have stayed in the Golden Zone and felt the same way about that area. I was pretty sick once after eating food at one of the hotels there. Last time I actually got off the ship and went down to the Golden Zone, many of the hotels were boarded up and everything just looked so dilapidated. So much crime and theft ... I've even seen a lady walk off the ship and her expensive necklace was ripped right off from her neck. The cruiselines actually stopped going there for quite some time as it became way too dangerous.

Now, maybe it has changed as we haven't gotten off the ship there for a good decade. I have actually talk to people that love it there and someone in this post also stated they love Mazatlán. I just have no desire to see if it has gotten any better. Same with Acapulco ... just a pit!

(Sorry, for some reason I am having difficulty with the quote mechanism on this site.) I want to thank you for helping us better understand your experiences in both Manzanillo and Mazatlan. If we hadn't already had the tour to Colima already planned we would have explored Manzanillo on foot, just as you did. We will definitely do it as you did the next time we are in that port.

However, the view from our ship, Manzanillo is one of Mexico's busiest port cities and one side of the ship showed nothing but mountains of shipping containers being unloaded from commercial ships and the other side of our ship showed a street clogged with traffic (smog included) and houses and businesses with peeling plaster walls with the majority in great disrepair. I had a great pair of binoculars and could see everything quite well. That, in itself, will not prevent me from exploring a city. We never stay on a ship when we are in port as we feel there is always an opportunity to experience something different.

However, I will make a strong disagreement with you regarding Mazatlan; not to convince you to try it again but perhaps to point others here on CC to allow their own judgement. My husband and I had an absolutely lovely morning and afternoon there. We even raved over and over just how clean all the streets were.

Now we didn't venture down to the Golden Zone nor any of the commercial areas. I also can say but only once were we asked to buy anything from any person on the streets. We felt very safe everywhere we walked.

We spent the majority of the time in the in the Centro Historico area (gorgeous historical area--mostly residential with some restaurants, plazas, churches). We walked over to the area called Olas Atlas where there were beautiful, clean beaches. We had a lunch on the Plaza Macado with two very tasty margaritas and a huge plate of ceviche' that the two of us couldn't even finish. Again, everything was beautiful and very clean.

Ten years can make a huge difference. The way you described it would make anyone leery about visiting it. My husband and I were so pleased with what we saw that we seriously plan to fly there in the near future so that we can enjoy it for more than just a day. We felt very, very safe there, as well. From what I have read, many Americans and Canadians are retiring there. It can't be all that bad, eh?:)

Edited by iceleven

However, I will make a strong disagreement with you regarding Mazatlan; not to convince you to try it again but perhaps to point others here on CC to allow their own judgement. My husband and I had an absolutely lovely morning and afternoon there. We even raved over and over just how clean all the streets were.

Now we didn't venture down to the Golden Zone nor any of the commercial areas. I also can say but only once were we asked to buy anything from any person on the streets. We felt very safe everywhere we walked.

We spent the majority of the time in the in the Centro Historico area (gorgeous historical area--mostly residential with some restaurants, plazas, churches). We walked over to the area called Olas Atlas where there were beautiful, clean beaches. We had a lunch on the Plaza Macado with two very tasty margaritas and a huge plate of ceviche' that the two of us couldn't even finish. Again, everything was beautiful and very clean.

Ten years can make a huge difference. The way you described it would make anyone leery about visiting it. My husband and I were so pleased with what we saw that we seriously plan to fly there in the near future so that we can enjoy it for more than just a day. We felt very, very safe there, as well. From what I have read, many Americans and Canadians are retiring there. It can't be all that bad, eh?:)

You are right! I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from visiting a certain port that might enhance their trip. I am sure 10 years could make a huge difference and I do see some people posting here and on other boards that they absolutely love Mazatlán. I am happy to hear that some positive changes have taken place in this port.

We had visited Cartagena, Columbia over 15 years ago and just returned. Wow....what an amazing transformation made in that port.

We still have no desire to visit Mazatlán or Acapulco but your point is well received. I shouldn't judge it on what it used to be and certainly shouldn't try to deter others from venturing out and touring this area. Thank you for the balance.

Cruiseraider - Excellent input I wish I had seen it before the cruise. I suggest you add some detail and post in the Port section. I looked hard for info on Manzanillo and found nothing.

We just walked up and down the 'Main' street at the pier, hence our disillusion.

I should do that. I wrote a very comprehensive review of the ship which included the ports but never thought of doing a write up on the port section itself.

The pier used in Manzanillo used to be way down by the containers. It is so much better now it is down by the sailfish. I had spent quite a bit of my younger days down in Mexico (while on vacation) -- so Manzanillo feels like old time Mexico to me and not so commercialized, which is why I love it so much. The people that we've met there couldn't be nicer and I guess this makes a huge impression on me. Those days are gone for so many of the ports that are frequented by several cruise ships each day of the week.

One time, we just walked up into the hills and found a lovely old hotel and stopped for a cold beer and a delightful conversation with the proprietor followed by a tour of the hotel. I found it to be quite interesting ... not a touristy hotel at all ... just very beautiful with all the carved wood, central staircase and beautiful gardens. We went with 3 other couples and ended up toodling around town -- real Mexico which we all just found it to be charming

The next couple of times, we went to either the Barceló or Las Hadas ... both of which are beautiful hotels in Manzanillo ... but in the opposite direction of where we walked up into the hills.

Please elaborate on 'walked up into hills' was this from the Sail Fish Area ? Also how did you get to Barceló and Las Hadas.

We too found Mazatlán to be OK. Mini Van tour at the pier took us around historical area, Catherdal etc. then down to Golden Zone and stopped at Divers on the way back to ship. $20 per person.