Oosterdam - Cabin No: 5185 or 4166

OceanMonarch

I am new to HAL and would welcome any recent comments on the above cabins but particularly 5185. I intend to sail for 24 nights in July 2016.

Is this balcony completely covered and what deck furniture does it have? Is the cabin quiet because I do not intend to leave the ship at every port and just wish to sit on the balcony (that hopefully has some sun/shade) along with a good book. Any recent photos would be appreciated.

With regard to 4166 - I have been told this has an extra wide balcony. Again any photos would be much appreciated. Thank you

I am new to HAL and would welcome any recent comments on the above cabins but particularly 5185. I intend to sail for 24 nights in July 2016.

Is this balcony completely covered and what deck furniture does it have? Is the cabin quiet because I do not intend to leave the ship at every port and just wish to sit on the balcony (that hopefully has some sun/shade) along with a good book. Any recent photos would be appreciated.

With regard to 4166 - I have been told this has an extra wide balcony. Again any photos would be much appreciated. Thank you

We've stayed in corner Neptunes 5190 and 5191. Deck 5 has a very deep veranda with approx 75% covered. The Vista Class ships originally had a much more "raked" rear profile, which was "squared" up when they added cabins on Deck 6 and up. This gave the deck 5 aft cabins the deepest verandas on the ship as the floor of deck six became a roof for the deck 5 verandas. I think you have a table and chairs. Not sure if any other furniture.

Edited by blizzardboy

Deck 5 stern cabins are fully covered. Google /westerdam-4166-v/ for pictures of the double-wide balcony taken by CC member swom. (Click thumbnails to enlarge)

attachment.php?attachmentid=276068&d=1371614118

Edited by jtl513

Google /oosterdam-5189/ for pics by Ntee2. They show two loungers as well as the standard two chairs and small table.

I believe the photos referred to are from 2010. In '12 we took Oo on San Diego/Hawaii itinerary in #5185. The Verandah was covered, and at that time, we had a small table (dining height), a pair of dining chairs, and two loungers. We liked it so much we immediately booked the same cabin for 2013's Australia/New Zealand itinerary.

In '13 we arrived on ship to find only two dining chairs and a small occasional table on that enormous verandah. So we told our steward that the previous year we had had two loungers and asked if he could find us a pair. His answer was that it was not possible. So we tried the Service Desk. Same answer - Not Possible. It had become a "safety issue", we were told. So, while the itinerary was great, we had not much use for the veranda since there was nothing comfortable for long term sitting.

Perhaps someone with more current info will post.

OP - Thank you for the replies.

I am still trying to decide on which cabin to book 4166 or 4178.

I "chatted" with HAL yesterday and was told that cabins 4166 + 4164 do not have larger balconies - they were just regular balcony cabins. I explained these cabins are categorized VB for a reason but was told that if indeed the balconies were larger "it would be a bonus"

My priority in selecting a cabin is

1. That it is quiet

2. There is sun and shade. We will be in the Med in July

To mix things up even more we have also been offered 5185.

I have to make a selection by Monday, so any assistance would be much appreciated.

I "chatted" with HAL yesterday and was told that cabins 4166 + 4164 do not have larger balconies - they were just regular balcony cabins. I explained these cabins are categorized VB for a reason but was told that if indeed the balconies were larger "it would be a bonus"
Don't you wish we could send pictures to some of these people? ;)

Just booked the Oosterdam for a Mediterranean cruise this summer. We managed to get an aft cabin, which we really enjoy, but are now worried about our choice. There is lots of talk about soot from the stacks and that they have minimal shade. We are in 4174. Does anyone have any information they can share regarding these issues? Thank you!

Just booked the Oosterdam for a Mediterranean cruise this summer. We managed to get an aft cabin, which we really enjoy, but are now worried about our choice. There is lots of talk about soot from the stacks and that they have minimal shade. We are in 4174. Does anyone have any information they can share regarding these issues? Thank you!

We got off Oosterdam 4/3 and were in the port side Neptune (4180, I think). Soot definitely was an issue. Since this was Neptune, the cabin steward cleaned it regularly, but it was very noticeable first thing in the morning. We had planned to have dinner out there a few times and soot played in our decision not to, but we could have without it being too much of an issue. Also, they were having trouble with the port pod and it was noisy back there, but this cruise was immediately prior to her dry dock and presumably that was fixed. I realize this post sounds pretty negative re the ship and the cruise, but that was not the case. Overall, ship and cruise were terrific.

We got off Oosterdam 4/3 and were in the port side Neptune (4180, I think). Soot definitely was an issue. Since this was Neptune, the cabin steward cleaned it regularly, but it was very noticeable first thing in the morning. We had planned to have dinner out there a few times and soot played in our decision not to, but we could have without it being too much of an issue. Also, they were having trouble with the port pod and it was noisy back there, but this cruise was immediately prior to her dry dock and presumably that was fixed. I realize this post sounds pretty negative re the ship and the cruise, but that was not the case. Overall, ship and cruise were terrific.

Thank you so much for the info. As long as we are aware we can deal with it. Was there shade on the aft balconies? Were they partially covered? We enjoy having a balcony and use it quite a bit and I am concerned that July in the Mediterranean will be too hot without some shade.

We just got off the Oosterdam and we were in cabin 4166. It definitely has a double wide balcony as does 4164. There is a service staircase between the two cabins. 4166 has a shower stall and 4164 has a very small tub with shower. The decks are almost completely covered...maybe a foot or two uncovered. They are also slightly deeper than the balconies on the floors above. It was furnished with two lounge chairs and two other high back chairs with footstools and a small side table. We also had an aft cabin on deck four. They are basically uncovered...maybe a foot or two is covered. The deck is somewhat deeper than 4166 but half as wide. Our friends staying in the aft cabin reported soot on the deck quite often. They were in 4174. They cabin itself is quite a bit deeper than a reqular balcony. I would say 4 to 6 feet deeper. They extra room was on either side of the couch.

We just got off the Oosterdam and we were in cabin 4166. It definitely has a double wide balcony as does 4164. There is a service staircase between the two cabins. 4166 has a shower stall and 4164 has a very small tub with shower. The decks are almost completely covered...maybe a foot or two uncovered. They are also slightly deeper than the balconies on the floors above. It was furnished with two lounge chairs and two other high back chairs with footstools and a small side table. We also had an aft cabin on deck four. They are basically uncovered...maybe a foot or two is covered. The deck is somewhat deeper than 4166 but half as wide. Our friends staying in the aft cabin reported soot on the deck quite often. They were in 4174. They cabin itself is quite a bit deeper than a reqular balcony. I would say 4 to 6 feet deeper. They extra room was on either side of the couch.

Thankyou seattlecruiser. for confirming that 4166 has a wider balcony. Does this cabin experience any noise due to the service staircase or from the deck below?

Off topic but what were the new Cabanas like and would you recommend renting one? Are there any in a quieter location than others?:)

I have been in the starboard and port aft-wraps on deck 5 and the deck 4 aft-wrap on this class of ship. I like deck 5 over deck 4 due to the larger balconies which are fully covered. No one can see onto your cabin from a higher deck in the deck 5s, while we certainly could see alot of the deck 4 balconies.

We took the Oosterdam on a TA; we were in a Neptune, 6166. As you can see (hopefully), it's a wrap around, but the adjoining balconies on 6th deck have about 50% overhead open to the sky; I managed to squeeze in a day of sunbathing enroute to Rome. We had a decent sized table and more loungers and chairs than we needed.

112838467_OosterdamNS6166_.jpg.0b6a338e96641bbc3fb427b00f3ffe99.jpg

We are booked in 4174. Did your friends have a lounger or just chairs and a table. Also, were they able to enjoy the deck in spite of the soot issues and lack of shade? We are seriously considering changing rooms. Thank you for any information you can provide.