Sergeant's Caye Snorkeling Adventure

We will be tendering in Belize during our Jan 2017 cruise and have been trying to find some information about this particular tour. In particular, the write up mentions a speedy power boat. My wife is not a fan of fast boats. Does anybody have any information on this boat ride ? Any other information relative to this tour would be appreciated, as well.

I went on the tour back in January. I really liked it. I had heard people say it was crowded but I didn't really think so. They take you off the boat and it was a catamaran as I recall that did not go very fast. It was a comfortable ride in my opinion. They bring you to the reef and assign a tour guide for 8-10 people, so it was very nice to have one guy show us all things and we could kind of go on our own, but needed to stay relatively close to him. If you are not a good swimmer or out of shape, I would consider not going as it can be wavy. We went on the Cozumel tour as well and that was much more wavy. I thought the tour was very good in Belize. I have some videos I did with my CCBetter cam if you want to see pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bwalker1011

The Princess excursion description mentions a speed boat transfer to someplace to get snorkeling equipment and then a catamaran ride to the snorkeling site. She likes catamarans, it's the speed boat ride that is giving her pause. Were you on Princess ?

Went to Altun Ha on our last trip and snorkeling trip before that was cancelled due to weather, so this is a guess. Maybe next time we will get to do this.

The vast majority of tours in Belize leave from shore, which is 7-8 miles from the ship. They use fast shore-based boats to get you there and it takes a good 20 minutes each way. Ships anchor inside and very close to Spanish Lookout Cay, so it makes more sense to go directly there. The tour description doesn't have enough time to get to Belize City and back, so my guess is you go direct from ship to there (maybe a mile?). Then cat to Sargeant's Caye just east of there. Zoom in on the Map

Water where the ship anchors is very smooth and shallow, so the ride should not be that bad. Your wife shouldn't mind the short trip and the boat should be big enough for 30-40 people.

Edited by LeeW
link