Has anyone done the Morocco/Canary Islands sailing?

numberguy

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about booking the 10-day Morocco/Canary Islands sailing in November/December 2017, and I'm just wondering what you thought of it. The stops in Casablanca, Las Palmas, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, and Funchal all look really interesting. Been to Malaga before, but not Alicante.

All new to me and my DH except for Barcelona and Malaga. And at $599 for an inside guarantee with no perks sounds great to me (plus DH can use miles to get us to Barcelona). Might also wait until we're on our Adriatic cruise to buy a FCC and help with the costs on that cruise. Also, Spirit will be new to us.

General thoughts?

--Michael

We did it a couple of years ago, although the itinerary was a bit different back then. We did Casablanca and Funchal though.

Funchal is a really nice port. We didn't do a great deal, just walked round the town and went up the cable car. It was really nice.

Casablanca is an odd one. It's a really interesting city, but not one for the faint hearted, especially if you like to do it yourself. We don't usually do yours but we booked an NCL one for Casablanca and were really pleased we did. Really enjoyed the tour (Mosque and City Tour). There are lots of stories of people walking off the ship and then coming back ashen faced about 30 minutes later.

The Spirit is a fantastic ship, in my opinion. We've got our third Spirit cruise booked for next year and will be booking another one soon.

Be aware that due to whatever is happening in the Mideast you might not make Morocco. So have the proper mindset for that contingency.

I spent several weeks in Tenerife and loved it. I lived with my host parents and we toured all over the island. Love that spot and very interesting. We could see Lanzarote but never got over there, so can't help you there. Also spent a week in Mallorca and had a lovely time. Palma is interesting, but there are great beaches in the area as well. I don't think you can go wrong with this itinerary and for that price it is a no brainer!!

We could see Lanzarote but never got over there, so can't help you there. Also spent a week in Mallorca and had a lovely time. Palma is interesting, but there are great beaches in the area as well. I don't think you can go wrong with this itinerary and for that price it is a no brainer!!
The OP's itinerary does not include Lanzarote, or Palma de Mallorca. :) I agree with you that it's a good price for 10 days, though!

I really like the Canary Islands & Morocco cruises. Nice to see them changing up the itinerary a bit (Alicante), but most of the ports are worth more than one visit anyway.

We have been on this cruise 3 times on the Spirit and have booked again for New Year This year and Xmas 2017.

Morocco is a lovely country we have done a weeks land tour there and loved it. Unfortunately Casablanca does not do it justice, its just difficult to navigate your own. The city tour and Mosque is a good tour from the ship, we are thinking next time we will take a tour a bit further maybe Rabat or Marrakesh. Funchal there are plenty of taxis at the port and I think we payed 80 euros for a Two hour tour there, a good price if there's 3 or 4 of you alternatively you can take the shuttle into town and the cable car up the mountain and ride down in a wicker sledge. Tenerife is a very diverse island with 2 very different landscapes the full day island tour which takes in Mount Teide is a good option.

Casablanca is an odd one. It's a really interesting city, but not one for the faint hearted, especially if you like to do it yourself. We don't usually do yours but we booked an NCL one for Casablanca and were really pleased we did. Really enjoyed the tour (Mosque and City Tour). There are lots of stories of people walking off the ship and then coming back ashen faced about 30 minutes later.

Walking off the ship in Casablanca, it will take you 30 minutes just to find your way out of the port, if you know which way to go and if you don't get squashed by some heavy machinery and/or a military convoy on the way. There is a free shuttle into town (at least it was free when we were last there with NCL).

Since we come from France, Morocco is a pretty easy destination (and anyway we are not allowed to say anything bad about it, because it is probably France's fault if things are like that…)

Thanks everyone so far. Yeah, an inside guarantee at $599pp for a ten-day cruise? While I hope I'm not on floors 4 or 5, I'll do that in a heartbeat. Now to convince the hubby. Although with him and the UBP, we might have to pick a cabin and pay $799pp. But still...!

Casablanca is not my "oh my goodness" destination; the island ports are what I'm liking, because it would never occur to me to visit them on my own. Et je parle francais (un peu), so maybe I could at least read where I'm going in Morocco.

--Michael

Edited by numberguy

Casablanca really is a tip. Literally too. The centre of the main square has an underpass, which is now closed off and rubbish is thrown into it. The place stinks. My blond very long haired 6 year old daughter had locals/strangers rubbing her hair. It's really worth a day on board rather than staying in casablanca.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by ainecaine

Can't comment on NCL tours but did a MSC tour to Rabat from Casablanca, well worth the trip, very informative, no hassle even in the kasbah, don't stay on board.

Mark

Just to reiterate Mark and what I said earlier, Morocco is a fascinating country we've been to Fez, Tangier and Meknes while touring on land where we had the time explore on our own and loved it. Casablanca is large, bustling, complicated , the pavement (sidewalks) aren't good, the ship docks in a cargo area. To make the most of it with limited time there take a tour and experience their culture.

Edited by glynandkath

Just to reiterate Mark and what I said earlier, Morocco is a fascinating country we've been to Fez, Tangier and Meknes while touring on land where we had the time explore on our own and loved it. Casablanca is large, bustling, complicated , the pavement (sidewalks) aren't good, the ship docks in a cargo area. To make the most of it with limited time there take a tour and experience their culture.

We generally take ships tours (but now always). If it's western or northern Europe, it's DIY. Places we're really not familiar with, we'll use the ship's tour, or maybe join a group from the Roll Call.

Thank you everyone for your responses so far!

--Michael

Can't comment on NCL tours but did a MSC tour to Rabat from Casablanca, well worth the trip, very informative, no hassle even in the kasbah, don't stay on board.

Mark

I did the Rabat tour a few years back on Crystal and it was outstanding. We didn't get hassled anywhere either.

We just booked for 11/23/17 sailing of this itinerary. We previously did the Spirit out of Barcelona for the 12 day Med. We loved the Spirit.

This is the one we're looking at, too. I really want to go. I've finally gotten to that Cruise Critic point where I have a cruise upcoming (but not completely paid for), and I'm already looking at scheduling the one after that. These cruise things are addicting!

--Michael

I did the Epic 10-day Canary Islands and Morocco in March. We went to Tangier rather than Casablanca. And Alicante wasn't on the itinerary. I loved the Canary Islands stops--did excursions in each with folks on my roll call. Same in Tangier, which was a highlight for sure. We took a tour with an independent vendor and had a fantastic time.

OP, you don't seem to have questions, but sounds like you're looking for confirmation on the itinerary. I would do it again (except there's too many ports I haven't yet visited!) -- one of my favorite cruises of all of them! To be fair, a significant reason for that was a great roll call, but the cruise itself was fantastic, too.

OP, you don't seem to have questions, but sounds like you're looking for confirmation on the itinerary. I would do it again (except there's too many ports I haven't yet visited!) -- one of my favorite cruises of all of them! To be fair, a significant reason for that was a great roll call, but the cruise itself was fantastic, too.

Yeah, I guess validation was the word of the day. Glad to know it was one of your favorites. DH and I like to do the "one-offs" (the cruises that are unique and not ones that are repeated often) when we can, so this looked like a good one, especially at that price.

--Michael

Yeah, I guess validation was the word of the day. Glad to know it was one of your favorites. DH and I like to do the "one-offs" (the cruises that are unique and not ones that are repeated often) when we can, so this looked like a good one, especially at that price.

--Michael

I just looked at your signature and see that it's the Adriatic on the Jade you have booked next! That was the cruise I did in the fall of 2014 and loved that one, too! It's too bad you won't be calling in Turkey--Ephesus was so interesting. But, the other stops are great, too. Split was a delightful surprise and I actually liked it better than Dubrovnik. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know whether the seas are calm or rough during this month? I am not concerned cruising around Spain, but worry about Madiera and the Canary Islands? Any thoughts?

It can be quite rough getting into Casablanca, apparently due to various currents meeting. We did it in December and it was a millpond, however this is the Atlantic we are talking about so it could be rough.

BTW Casablanca is a dump - we did the NCL Ultimate Tour to Rabat and Casablanca. Rabat was great - the lunch was awesome but Casablanca was disappointing.

Spirit is a lovely ship.

I sailed a Mediterranean/Transatlantic in whatever year it was (see signature below) and it was this time of year. I do remember that the first day after we crossed the Straits of Gibraltar, the seas were very rough, and I barely left my bed. But that was just one day.

--Michael

Very interested in this post... was thinking on booking in 2018 end of March... was wondering what the temps were like... from Barcelona to the island... do most of my cruising in the Carribean and the temps are in the 80's.. I don't like to take a lot of clothing if its not that warm.