Viking Sea Review by Travel Agent Ralph Grizzle

roothy123

Hi Ruth, Thanks for this review.

We'll be on the Sea 8/23 Venice to Barcelona

Found this interesting site with searchable Cruise Ship Schedules. Includes future ship itinerary. Viking has a fourth Ocean ship in process (Sun) 2017-2018 itineraries include AUS and World Cruise. :)

http://www.cruiseshipschedule.com/?s=viking

Had a wonderful time in Bora Bora & Moorea and looking forward to Tuscany, Florence and Siena with Viking before we board in Venice.

Bob & Margie

Edited by bcorre2
edit

Out of interest I went to this Travel Agent's review. While I don't think he was untruthful about anything he said, I think it was very one-sided. It's why I never trust the opinions of folks who get comped their cruise or whose livelihoods depend on positive relations with cruise companies. I'd rather get my info from the folks on this board who give you the good and the bad about their trips.

Having lived through the maiden cruise of the Star where Viking had travel press and other associated VIPs on board, I can also tell you Viking pulls out all the stops to impress them, often at the expense of their paying customers. His experience and yours may be entirely different.

Out of interest I went to this Travel Agent's review. While I don't think he was untruthful about anything he said, I think it was very one-sided. It's why I never trust the opinions of folks who get comped their cruise or whose livelihoods depend on positive relations with cruise companies. I'd rather get my info from the folks on this board who give you the good and the bad about their trips.

Having lived through the maiden cruise of the Star where Viking had travel press and other associated VIPs on board, I can also tell you Viking pulls out all the stops to impress them, often at the expense of their paying customers. His experience and yours may be entirely different.

Agreed. That was my reaction. It read more like a sales pitch than a review and seemed very superficial. Too good to be true. There was nothing negative to be said. Nothing that could be improved upon. This guy is selling suites. Interesting to read but in the long run, not very helpful for the discerning cruiser.

Everyone does have a different experience. Some see the glass half full and some half empty. I think you have stated you enjoyed the cruise but would never do a maiden voyage again. Lesson learned. Any maiden voyage could have had some problems that you experienced, especially on their first time out in the market. Sometimes we have to take responsibility for our choices.

"Avid Cruiser" is that man's website and he makes his living expressing his opinion, just like theater critics in New York. You may not agree with those and that's your choice. You choose to express yours on CC in an effort to help people know your impression. Everyone is free to do that. It's all good.

I have found that you see what you look for. It's like going to BR with their 31 flavors, if you don't like Jamoca Almond Fudge you can opt for Pralines and Creme, which night be your favorite and feel that a trip to the store should not be missed. There is not a thing wrong about not 'majoring in the minors'.

Dauntless - you are absolutely right - I would never do a maiden cruise again on any line, Viking or anyone else - my lesson there was learned big time. And yes we enjoyed our cruise. I'm not against Viking or it's efforts to establish itself with its Oceans line. We just finished yet another Viking Rivers cruise so I can't be that negative about Viking. My point was that the review seemed a little too good to be true. There's the "glass is half full" optimist point of view, but this review was more like "my cup runneth over."

I just got off the Viking Sea. The Barcelona to Bergen segment which included the christening in London. After reading all the problems the Viking Star had when it first started out, I wasn't expecting much. I can honestly tell you that this was far and above the best ship and cruise I have ever been on. Everything Agent Ralph said was spot on! Including the mouth watering rib eye steak in Manfredi's. The food and service were superb. The areas around the ship exceptionally beautiful. The ship never felt crowded, even on sea days. The entertainment was much better than I expected. The shore excursions, included and paid for, were acceptable. On one excursion to Paris, we were to go to the Louvre and have lunch at the Eiffel Tower. Due to a traffic jam going into Paris, we were unable to get to the Louvre. When we returned to our cabin, we had a letter waiting that stated we each got a $100 credit due to missing the Louvre. We also each got a $25 credit for another paid excursion and we have no idea what that was for. Please don't dismiss Agent Ralph's review. It would have mirrored my own. Even the ice tea out of the machine was good!

Well, I loved my Viking Star cruise, but I'm not trying to promote Viking or anything. I just found the article interesting for anyone who wanted to read it, and I agreed with everything he said. Both my husband and I could find little fault with the cruise we took. Yes, the included excursions were basic, but it's just not possible to provide 900 people with a full day tour of, say, Athens - especially when there are other ships in town the same day, competing for resources!

Yes, Ralph G. is a travel agent, and if I were a travel agent I'd be promoting any ship I traveled on and liked. He also has reviews of ports, which is why I (occasionally) go to his site.

I also agree that Viking does a great job promoting itself. But I see nothing wrong with that, just as I see nothing wrong with Ralph G. promoting cruising and the cruises he sells.

Everyone's different. I have been talking to Viking agents recently. Some people have gotten what they consider to be poor service from THEM. However, my experiences have been totally different, although admittedly I wasn't asking for a refund or complaining about anything. Perhaps the people who answer those phone calls are less willing to bend over backwards.

Some people on Cruise Critic are unhappy with how Carnival's handling of the recent woman overboard situation. Others feel it was all they COULD do, as I did. I've stopped reading, as now everyone's speculating about how she died. Ugh. Everyone's different, plus some people are just more negative than others to begin with.

Bob and Margie, you went to Bora Bora too? We were there in late January on Oceania (see my pbase.com/roothy123 site), plus were lucky to be able to tender onto Easter Island, which was exceptional. It was a great (and different) cruise, although I still liked Viking's Venice to Istanbul cruise better. SO - we just booked another Viking cruise. I really wanted to cruise VO again, but their offerings are a little too basic for us, although in time I bet that will change. However, my husband surprised me by making a pitch for the "Midnight Sun" cruise in 2017 that goes up north in Norway, plus a few places in the UK. There were some repeat ports on that, but enough new ones to get me really interested. I'm now looking forward to that cruise, although we have quite a while to wait for it. Happy sailing to you!!!!

Edited by roothy123

We just completed the Barcelona to Bergen cruise that Carol reviewed above. We 100% agree with everything she wrote. The ship is absolutely beautiful, in every way. The food was very good I. All the eating venues. Service throughout was outstanding. Upon arrival back at the ship after visiting a port, there was often a treat waiting, warn towels or a special drink. But, my best memory and favorite spot is sitting in the infinity pool with a few other guests, enjoying the beautiful sea. What a fabulous 14 days we experienced!

We just completed the Barcelona to Bergen cruise that Carol reviewed above. We 100% agree with everything she wrote. The ship is absolutely beautiful, in every way. The food was very good I. All the eating venues. Service throughout was outstanding. Upon arrival back at the ship after visiting a port, there was often a treat waiting, warn towels or a special drink. But, my best memory and favorite spot is sitting in the infinity pool with a few other guests, enjoying the beautiful sea.

The deck at the stern (Infinity Pool, hot tub, Aquivit Terrace) is indeed a delightful place to spend some time. We often took our food from the Café and ate out on the Terrace, watching the ocean recede behind us. Somehow it's very theraputic.

That said, had Mr. Grizzle taken our Barcelona to Bergen cruise on the Star (a week ahead of the Sea), he might have had a different commentary in his review. Our voyage was hit with a "Code Red" incident, a serious outbreak of GI illness which occurred the night after the special Fresh Fish and Raw Oyster bar event in the World Café. As a result, the Star had an unexpected 24-hour delay tied up at Bordeaux while the situation was investigated. The planned sail up the Thames and overnight at Greenwich were dropped from the itinerary. To make up the lost time, we stopped at Tilbury instead. Some of the 'London' excursions were canceled. All the pools and spa facilities (saunas, steam room, hot tub, therapy pool, snow grotto, etc) were closed for the 2nd week of the cruise.

Despite these setbacks, our cruise was still very pleasant, but it was not the pinnacle of perfection described in his review.

Edited by screen-gem

Hi there.

I subscribe to Ralph's emails and while actually finding his reviews informative you do have a point regarding their value.

Which is one reason why, on my cruise blog site, I stick with the facts as I experience them.

You can judge for yourself...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/12/28/viking-star-a-taste-of-something-different/

PS. I only use my own photographs as well.

• Members

Wanted to point to our brand-new review, written by CC's Managing Editor Colleen McDaniel: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=993.

We also have a Hits/Misses from this ship: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6960

Christening story: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7008

And a story about surprises on the ship: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7003

Hi there.

I subscribe to Ralph's emails and while actually finding his reviews informative you do have a point regarding their value.

Which is one reason why, on my cruise blog site, I stick with the facts as I experience them.

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/12/28/viking-star-a-taste-of-something-different/

Fabulous photos, Richard. I also see you have something on Halifax; going to check that out when it becomes available. (I got a message saying it wasn't; not sure what that's about but will try again.)

And I see there's another post to follow up on when I have time. Thanks, Chris! Oh, and I'm curious about the new cruises going to Cuba (fathom line and any other out there - including apparently Viking next year). Cuba has been on our bucket list and we'd love to hear about the cruises that go there.

Anyway, I appreciate the blogs that people find time to do. I'm going to check out idElizabeth's one day - couldn't find the ones from the maiden voyage, but the ones on China were excellent.

And while I'm at it, thanks to all the Cruise Critic folks who make it possible to research ports, cruise lines and web/blog sites, etc. I learn a lot.

• Members

We have coverage of both Fathom and Cuba.

While our Fathom Adonia ship review is not up yet, I can point you to our Hits/Misses from that first Fathom cruise to Cuba that happened a few weeks ago: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7023.

Eyewitness account to that moment the ship pulled in....pretty emotional: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7006

And the page that shows all of our destination content on Cuba: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=174

Roothy - the reason you haven't found the 50-day Star trip on my blog is that I haven't written it. And here I am in Bucharest having just come off a 3-week trip of Eastern Europe that included a 10 day Viking land/cruise. My plan is to write up the current Eastern Europe one first. Might be awhile till I get to that 50-day Star trip.

The real problem is sorting through an overwhelming number of photos to pick the best ones for the blog. I took over 100,000 photos for the Star trip and find getting them even sorted is just too daunting.

So look for Eastern Europe next.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there.

Great review of the Viking Star. I'm curious about storage in the rooms. Was there enough space for your things? Are there drawers? I didn't notice any in your photo of the room, so I'm curious. Thanks in advance.

Also, I appreciate the links you all have posted to the various reviews and such. Thanks!

Great review of the Viking Star. I'm curious about storage in the rooms. Was there enough space for your things? Are there drawers? I didn't notice any in your photo of the room, so I'm curious. Thanks in advance.

Also, I appreciate the links you all have posted to the various reviews and such. Thanks!

Great question but you have buried it in an older thread about a review . Once we've read the review itself many of us aren't returning here for the follow up discussion. I urge to you start a new thread to ask this question and that way many more people will see it and hopefully answer the question for all of us.

In Cruise Critic review of the the Star, there are several pictures of each cabin type. In the pictures of my type, there is cubby with storage in the desk area in flip top(hidden). What appears to be a cabinet on the side of the desk is the mini fridge.

In each night stand there is a drawer and a cubby below that. There is an area below that but I can't say for sure it is accessible.

As you enter the cabin, just pass the bath, there is a built in tall boy type dresser with several drawers, safe cubby and a shelf above that. In the closet there is a shelf above the hanging area.

In the bath there are areas on each side of the sink and open areas below that.

The beds are built in such a way that you store your luggage under them.

This is a V or DV cabin. All other cabins probably have more storage. Is there enough space for your things depends in how many things you bring with you.

Some of the people on the maiden voyage didn't feel there was enough storage space, but quite honestly, I felt the space was very similar to other ships we've cruised on (mostly Oceania in inside room, couple times on Celebrity in inside or oceanview). It was sufficient for our 2 week trip, but perhaps it wouldn't be for a 40 day trip. If nothing else, there is lots of space in the bathroom (more than we used), and if you use that, plus the drawers and whatnot in the night stands and desk, it will likely be enough for a two week cruise. (We were in a DV.) If you have things you don't expect to use much, they can always go in your suitcase, placed under the bed. The closet was big enough to hold twice what we brought, and if you need more hangers, just ask. Desk is a nice touch, except you can't put a lot of stuff on top of it or that will make it hard to open the little area with small cubbyholes that's below the top - very useful for little things that get lost easily. If you don't drink coffee (expresso), you could always move the coffee maker and get more space for sweaters or something like that.

I think I have a picture of the desk and our bathroom and deluxe room here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/viking_star_&page=all.

Really, you don't need a whole lot on a cruise, so I would try to pack lightly. However, I would definitely take a light jacket or sweater for evenings on deck, too much air conditioning, al fresco dining on cooler evenings, etc. You can always stick that under the bed in a suitcase.

Edited by roothy123
add link to pics

Thanks, Peregrina651. I did get side tracked reading the reviews people have mentioned here, and posted my storage question while it was top of mind. We had just booked our first cruise with Viking, and I was excited to begin research. You can bet I’ll be starting a new thread with my questions in the future.

Thank you, Dauntless. I appreciate the information. I don’t bring much more than a 22” carry on, so I know I’ll be fine with whatever storage we are provided, but I was surprised at the lack of cabinets in Solent Richard’s cabin photo. We were on a Viking river cruise last year, and I was amazed at all the storage in our room. I’ll be sure to check out the Star review you mention on Cruise Critic, and the others posted here.

Thanks all!