Random Observations!

nikkiw60

We attended the welcome back cocktail party on the Thursday gala night and found that a lot of the people attending were very rude to the waiting staff, when they were being offered drinks from the trays they just reached up took a drink with no word of thank you or a smile or any other acknowledgement. It was as though the waiting staff were invisible.

Also whilst the speeches were being made by the captain and crew people just carried on with their own conversations, in lots of cases without even lowering their voices.

Another interesting observation was that people who had dined in the MDR all week were missing on the last night! Is this a not wanting to pay a tip thing?

In some reviews people have said they struggled to get drinks, we had no problem you just caught the eye of a passing member of staff.

And we found without exception that all the crew were friendly polite and very helpful.

From our side we were impolite in that we did not use our invite to the Black party due to having been sleeping as jet lag caught up with us!

Finally (and this is random) one guy at the welcome back cocktail party was wearing the most amazing jacket! the back of it was a picture of a cruise ship! Stunning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are no tips to pay, so that is not a reason to skip the MDR. Lots of people probably had to pack to make sure their cases were in the corridor.

I have found that when the anouncements are in many languages, that others will talk through the foreign language announcements, forgetting that others are listening to those announcements.

The speeches were actually not that long and the announcements in other languages seemed to be very brief. And I know that gratuities are included but a lot of people are known to ask for them to be taken off at the start as they like to pay people as and when. And some of us like to pay the extra to our stewards etc. A table of French people behind us (6 all week to the last night when one couple was missing) were commenting that the missing couple were avoiding paying a gratuity. Anyway that's another topic.

There are no tips to pay, so that is not a reason to skip the MDR. Lots of people probably had to pack to make sure their cases were in the corridor.

I have found that when the anouncements are in many languages, that others will talk through the foreign language announcements, forgetting that others are listening to those announcements.

I think he meant to tip extra to the staff in the MDR.

I said the exact same thing in regards to rudeness at the Captain's Cocktail Party on my first Divina sailing review.

See post #120. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039057&highlight=divina+reviews&page=6

Other than that, I love Divina! I am booked on my 3rd and 4th cruises on her in 2017.

I have just read your comment Mrs Squirrel, I am please someone agrees with me about the rudeness! and I also love the Divina.

Your comments jogged a memory. No point in my post, just a reflection.

A few years ago on a different line we attended a cocktail party for returning cruisers. It was in the theatre, and we took seats in the center of a high row, (for whatever reason) and we never could get a drink. All the cruisers "in the know" sat as low as they could at/near the aisles. Waiters came up from below, and everyone on the Aisles grabbed all the drinks, drank as fast as they could, then take more. The waiters weren't very interested in anything except that their tray was emptied. They never got as far as us, and never looked up, I guess because they didn't want to have to walk any farther to empty their tray. Well, I wasn't going to walk down the aisle and fight/beg for drinks so I've never attended another. This was a mostly American crowd. Don't know what kind of a mix yours was.

Edited by BIG_Steve

Actually the Caribbean last week.

We were on the Divina last week. Just off on Saturday 5/14. We had the Aurea experience and absolutely loved everything about the ship. We did have the "anytime" dining.

We chose to eat in the Italian specialty restaurant on the last night. This by no means was a way out of our tips that are automatically added to your statement daily. We did tip additionally during the week at the time of the service that we felt was above.

I think a lot of people on all cruise lines go to specialty restaurants the last night either because it's their last chance to or it's a means of celebrating a good cruise. I know I always do. I think most cruise lines now are charging the flat amount for gratuities and many have open seatings so generally I don't think people are trying to avoid tipping.

I commented about the last night because there has been a lot of comment about tipping and gratuities on an English forum. Two of my friends actually told me to take the gratuities at the start and we said no. I think us Brits and other European nationalities have a problem with tipping (I may be wrong) in France for example in a restaurant service is already included. Anyway it was just an observation and a question.

I commented about the last night because there has been a lot of comment about tipping and gratuities on an English forum. Two of my friends actually told me to take the gratuities at the start and we said no. I think us Brits and other European nationalities have a problem with tipping (I may be wrong) in France for example in a restaurant service is already included. Anyway it was just an observation and a question.

Yes I know some Brits (and Australians since they tend not to tip at all at home - different culture) say we don't tip at home, so we're not tipping on a cruise ship and want to get them deducted.

I don't think it is as simple as that though. When I started cruising with MSC, there was no service charge or gratuities at all. It was up to people to tip,or not. Over the years though, since they've introduced it, they've got stricter about reducing or removing it. Think you have to have a justifiable reason now, like a service issue. Don't know for sure though as I always just leave it I place and sometimes tip some individuals over and above that.

I went to guest services to get envelopes for additional tips, and was told "we don't recommend tipping". I couldn't believe it. In our cabin was envelopes, and we used them for tipping. What a crazy thing to say. It's my money, and if I think someone deserves it, they will get it.