Spirit misses Mykonos

karoo

Just posting what happened. We had to attend an incident. A fishing boat had 300+ Somalian refugees that left from Libya to travel to Italy as we had medical personnel onboard.

Edited by karoo

I will attempt this again- mucked up when posting on IPhone. We had to attend a call from the coast guard to go and find a fishing boat with 300+ Somalian refugees who had travelled to Libya to take a fishing boat to Italy. As we had medical personnel we had to attend. At one stage it looked we could be taking them all onboard, but eventually the Italian Coast guard arrived and took the majority of them. On the way they had picked up another boat of refugees. In the end we only took the pregnant ladies onboard who were helicopter evacuated to land. We had to head back towards Italy to assist the helicopter. Consequently we had another sea day as we didn't have time to get to Mykonos. I don't want flaming/ opinions etc, just letting everyone know what can happen when sailing in the Med these days. We were sailing fromNaples to Mykonos.

Captain told us yesterday- one pregnant female and her brother who were helicopter evacuated to Italy as she wasn't feeling well. The Italian coast guard took the rest. The operation took most of the day as we had to wait for the Coast guard to arrive. Under Maritme law the captain has to obey all coast guard instructions.

Edited by karoo

I totally understand that what happened was not planned by NCL and they can only follow the law to help out. But what happens to all those guests who missed a day of sightseeing/prepaid tours, etc.? Do they compensate the guests in any way? Or it's just an "oh well - good was done today" sort of experience. I'll be doing this cruise in a month and am wondering about NCL response to guests.

Thanks!

Would appear that NCL would reimburse pax for tours booked through NCL, but anything else, such as private tours or other activities on Mykonos would not be the fiscal responsibility of NCL, just part of the roll of the dice when sailing the Med these days. Same thing happens with Cubans in the Caribbean, gotta get them

Another good reason for travel insurance

If you miss a prepaid or lost a deposit on a private tour you must gather all the documents from ncl you can

If the ship knows what they are doing they should know to give you a letterhead printed explanation for your insurance claim

While a ship is required to lend aid to the stranded boaters just remember they will not have free roam of the ship if indeed they must be taken on

Sent from my iPad using Forums