Postpone Cruise - Family Emergency

landlady1952

I have always been advised that you don't buy your insurance from the service provider. If your carrier was to go broke or close down (as did Renissance Cruises a long time ago) your little cruise fare refund would be sitting waiting for payment just like the fuel bill, the employees paychecks, the bananas etc. until the lawyers made sure there was no money to pay out.:p I have always bought my travel insurance from an independent insurance company and my travel agent usually sets it up with my choice from the companies they use. Allianz is who we have been using lately for cancellation and for pre-existing conditions and for EVACUATION insurance (big bird has to come out -- usually on this side from Canada or on Euope side from Britian) to air lift you from ship with serious medical condition. This is infrequent but on my 20 some cruises I have seen it happen 4 times-- really impressive to see them land helicopter at sea ALSO so expensive). We also carry a yearly membership in MedJet Assist which provides medical transport from hospital to hospital so you can get back to America/home (AARP program makes it more affordable) and Blue Cross/Blue Shield for medical insurance outside the borders of USA. Remember Medicare pays nothing outside USA and that does include all fees for the ship doctor also. Travel insurance does much more than just cover cancellation. If you don't insure -- you self-insure which is good too if you have made that decision and haven't just let things happen.

Only very big problem with MedJet Assist is - once you reach a certain age, which my DH has reached, they will either not insure him or the premium is very high...

s it truly anobligationto povide personal information bec ause of[some typos? Why my hand is troub bling me is my private business I dont' wish to share.

Sail - really hope you feel better soon. And please don't stop posting. I've always appreciated your posts. Bless you.