Postpone Cruise - Family Emergency

landlady1952

If you can't get a refund or rebook you may be able to change the names of the persons going the cruise (if someone wants to stay behind and someone wants to go to replace the person staying behind). We had a group cruise booked last last summer with RCL. About 2 weeks before the sailing one person in the group had a family emergency. We found out that she could have only got a refund of taxes and port fees for cancelling. But she could have had someone go in her place for only $25.

It all worked out and she was able to go on the cruise (though it was a lesson in the need for traveling insurance). We all went on the cruise and had a great time. I hope your dad has a speedy recovery.

Edited by straychicken

vBetty, I am sorry my typos are annoying you.

I havw explained a numb er of times, one of my hands is gigiving me a lot of trouble and ityping is hard ffor med at the moment.

Hope you can forgive/understand . .

No need to ask forgiveness. I offer my deepest sympathies. A couple of years ago, I severed all four tendons in my right hand. The surgery was successful and I can type again. I surely understand your troubles.

Sail,

Sorry to read of your hand problems. Don't let the typos stop you contributing to the HAL forum. We enjoy reading your knowledgeable posts.

We are experienced cruisers, but first HAL cruise booked for April 2017 - 23 days Noordam - Sydney to Vancouver.

Your posts (and the other regular contributors) are really helping us understand and plan for our HAL cruise. Looking forward to our Pacific crossing on Noordam in 7053.

Rod

Just in case it might have been overlooked, if you used a travel rewards credit card to book the trip, check your cardholder agreement. My travel points card has a decent annual fee but that comes with insurance coverage that includes trip cancellation insurance for medical reasons.

Hope good health smiles on you all soon.

I just started doing the same thing. Yes my card charges an annual fee of $75, but it is alot less than the cruise insurance (the card insurance is not as broad as the cruise one) and in the past we only insured the longer cruises, so well worth it as well.

Plus, with the points I earn per cruise I have more than enough to book a free room in Fort Lauderdale at the Hyatt Place Convention Center, even during the peak months (saving me $200-300).

If you can't get a refund or rebook you may be able to change the names of the persons going the cruise ... with RCL. But she could have had someone go in her place for only $25.

Unfortunately HAL treats name changes same as cancellations and re-bookings. Edited by jtl513

s it truly anobligationto povide personal information bec ause of[some typos? Why my hand is troub bling me is my private business I dont' wish to share.

Edited by sail7seas

The year we took the Christmas Cruise there was a huge blizzard shutting down the north east 2 days before the sailing - 400 people out of 1200 missed the cruise. No good way to catch up with the ship later as we had a sea day first, then private island, then another sea day before we finally got to a port.

Without insurance they'd have lost their $$. (coming from the southeast coast we did make the trip :))

Ours was pretty much the same situation. No problems getting out of Pittsburgh. We were scheduled to fly out on a Thursday for a Sunday cruise out of Tampa. But the snow storm started on a Monday shutting down Charlotte and Atlanta until Friday afternoon. Those are the 2 airports that we have to connect through. The earliest they could get us out would have been late Tuesday or early Wednesday of the following week as there were many people ahead of us that they had to take care of.

Those of us who post here often can understand that Judy is having a problem typing and we can put this to rest. I don't think any of us want her to stop posting, even if there are some typos.

Let's just all move on.:):)

Those of us who post here often can understand that Judy is having a problem typing and we can put this to rest. I don't think any of us want her to stop posting, even if there are some typos.

Let's just all move on.:):)

Thanks, mamaofami. I was about to post the same message. While there is always a concern when a possible health issue arises with a fellow member, it's not appropriate to engage in speculation or detailed aspects on our boards.

Several posts on the subject have been removed.

It is hardly worth preaching to someone that they should buy insurance after the event.

I have no doubt that they wish now that they had purchased insurance. I would not appreciate rear view mirror advice/comments like this. They are pointless.

Edited by iancal

It is hardly worth preaching to someone that they should buy insurance after the event.

I have no doubt that they wish now that they had purchased insurance. I would not appreciate rear view mirror advice/comments like this. They are pointless.

I don't think the intent was to preach .. the OP's question/comment was addressed early on. I think that many of us know that a lot of newbies to cruising read the boards here and I think any scenarios or comments on why trip insurance is a good idea were aimed more at that group :)

True -- it does not help people that we are reading about today but it can be very helpful to those making decisions for travel in the future. Insurance is for cancellation but the more you travel -- the more you find that insurance questions which get 1/1000th of the attention as dining room dress code can have life-long outcomes. I feel so sorry for these folks but I also want to teach others to consider the lessons from this misfortune.

The fact is if you read these boards regularly -- this is a common story with a few extra details for variety. Bad luck can strike any booking or any person -- that is the reason for insurance. It does not take away the suffering, it just helps to keep suffering (especially financial suffering) from being added onto an already painful situation. It can save a world of trouble if your luck runs out while you are on vacation-- some travel insurance has a whole lot more than just cancellation of the cruise. Some will provide a way to get to medical care, (evacuation), some will provide medical care insurance (Medicare --not one penny past the border and NOT the ship's Dr. either!) It is not uncommon for a bill to be settled BEFORE treatment. You do not want to be trying to finance a heart attack on your vacation. The phrase is "Feeling Lucky"?

Buy good travel insurance from someone who is not providing the services (NOT cruiseline or tour operator or airline). Read and understand what you have insurance for and what the limits are and the requirements for the insurance (pre-qualification for stay/pre-exisiting conditions things like that). Perhaps even carry the brochure with the rules with you-- it is that contract that you have to live with. For us, we have travel insurance on the cruise (more or less cancellation plus pre-exsisting conditions covered , we have medjet-assist yearly policy for evacuation and hospital to hospital transportation , and we have blue-cross blue shield medical insurance which pays when Medicare does not (or so we hope).

I have gotten back for a shore excursion ($800 Balloon over Seranghetti -I had stomach issue). A travel companion got some back when she had a stroke the day before a cruise and the company was generous to her roommate and did not charge her single occupancy rate which was $5,000:eek:). I figure that anytime I don't have to file my insurance claim I AM A WINNER. I don't want to test it out. But you need to think about the risk you are assuming if you don't buy insurance. Sure it is expensive but think how much to charter a jet to get you home from ??? Same as car insurance. If we are lucky -- don't have but a claim or so in a lifetime -- but you don't do without that either because it is expensive.

This is just for those reading to think about. I often on a car trip or shorter trip decide to "self-insure" NOT buy other insurance. But it is a conscious decision and I have thought about what risk I am taking and can I afford that.

For those reading -- insurance is as important --if not more so-- than the pretty words describing the food and cabin and dreams of far away places. Think about it and then can relax and enjoy your vacation. Just trying to be helpful so don't flame. And no I don't sell insurance -- just travel a fair bit and have seen some real sad things happen and people had no place to turn.

To my way of thinking it will always be that there are people who don't obtain travel insurance when they need to, don't bother getting a passport let alone applying/renewing it early, or fly in for their cruise on the departure day. They actually wonder why the ship does not wait for them or why the cruise line denies them boarding because they do not have the requisite papers notwithstanding that they booked months and months ago. Invariably it is always someone else's fault...not theirs. Most often the cruise line.

They all know better. It is common sense and even if it isn't they certainly read about it often enough. But that does not mean that they will change their behaviour next time.

Edited by iancal

Bowie MeMe - thank you for mentioning the pre-existing condition clause.

My DH has problems and regular trip insurance policies will not cover expenses if those problems are the issue.

We book the insurance independently (which company is at the recommendation of our jewel of a TA) and carry the policy with us just in case. My premium is less than his because of his pre-existing... otherwise it's the same coverage.

It's a good feeling to know if something awful occurs it won't ruin our retirement financially.

PS.. the policies we get always include "Cancel for any reason" - always at 100% of $$ spent

My DH has problems and regular trip insurance policies will not cover expenses if those problems are the issue.

We book the insurance independently (which company is at the recommendation of our jewel of a TA) and carry the policy with us just in case. My premium is less than his because of his pre-existing... otherwise it's the same coverage.

It's a good feeling to know if something awful occurs it won't ruin our retirement financially.

PS.. the policies we get always include "Cancel for any reason" - always at 100% of $$ spent

Even more so I get a good feeling that I have options for medical care and to get me and my loved one home where I have a support system. We both have those pesky conditions but some we have lived over 30 years with (my cancer). If we had not figured a way to really be able to live and dared to go anyway we would have missed the most marvelous life of travel and seeing wonderful things and making great friends. Some things you can save money on -- peace of mind is worth the cost of insurance.

Maybe some reading now will book trip insurance that had not otherwise thought about it. Wile the pre existing condition waiver generally only applies if bought within the first weeks after deposit, the other benefits are available up until final payment.

Maybe some reading now will book trip insurance that had not otherwise thought about it. Wile the pre existing condition waiver generally only applies if bought within the first weeks after deposit, the other benefits are available up until final payment.

Good point on the pre-existing. :) I love having a TA who's on the ball with this and always make sure we've got what we need at the appropriate time. She "books it" and sends me the policy.

How does the price compare to HAL's Platinum, which allows you to cancel for any reason? (I think this is the Platinum policy.) Don't need to pay extra for pre-existing. And can you give the name of the insurance company? I don't think this is forbidden.

How does the price compare to HAL's Platinum, which allows you to cancel for any reason? (I think this is the Platinum policy.) Don't need to pay extra for pre-existing. And can you give the name of the insurance company? I don't think this is forbidden.

TRAVEL INSURED INTERNATIONAL is the company - they have a web site.

I don't have my policy for the HAL cruise this winter because we just changed our booking to the Panama Canal trip so I'll give you the numbers for the Carnival trip we have coming up. :)

Our cost the cruise for the 5 days = $700 each with taxes and port fees

For DH w/ pre-existing insurance is $120

For me -w/regular coverage the same as his it's $57

Along with some travel to and from the cruise coverage the policy includes:

cancel for any reason 100%

medical expenses $100,000

"medical plane" flight home $1,000,000

My TA says they're very prompt and reliable. For a personal example - I couldn't find my policy for the upcoming trip to take with us. I emailed them late at night and the next morning at 8:30am when I logged onto my email the copy was already there.

We have found a huge delta between policies, insurers, and pricing. One thing for certain, when buying insurance price is no indicator of the breadth and coverage of a policy. We have found quite the opposite.

Once we started to look at the cruise company/TA agent offering we quickly realized that while convenient, they tended to have less coverage, more ands/buts, and were much less cost competitive.

It really pays to shop around for a comprehensive, well priced policy directly from an insurance carrier that meets all or most of your needs. Lots of overpriced policies out there being pushed by people who really have no idea what they are selling. At least this was/is our experience.

I have always been advised that you don't buy your insurance from the service provider. If your carrier was to go broke or close down (as did Renissance Cruises a long time ago) your little cruise fare refund would be sitting waiting for payment just like the fuel bill, the employees paychecks, the bananas etc. until the lawyers made sure there was no money to pay out.:p I have always bought my travel insurance from an independent insurance company and my travel agent usually sets it up with my choice from the companies they use. Allianz is who we have been using lately for cancellation and for pre-existing conditions and for EVACUATION insurance (big bird has to come out -- usually on this side from Canada or on Euope side from Britian) to air lift you from ship with serious medical condition. This is infrequent but on my 20 some cruises I have seen it happen 4 times-- really impressive to see them land helicopter at sea ALSO so expensive). We also carry a yearly membership in MedJet Assist which provides medical transport from hospital to hospital so you can get back to America/home (AARP program makes it more affordable) and Blue Cross/Blue Shield for medical insurance outside the borders of USA. Remember Medicare pays nothing outside USA and that does include all fees for the ship doctor also. Travel insurance does much more than just cover cancellation. If you don't insure -- you self-insure which is good too if you have made that decision and haven't just let things happen.

I have always been advised that you don't buy your insurance from the service provider. If your carrier was to go broke or close down (as did Renissance Cruises a long time ago) your little cruise fare refund would be sitting waiting for payment just like the fuel bill, the employees paychecks, the bananas etc. until the lawyers made sure there was no money to pay out.:p I have always bought my travel insurance from an independent insurance company and my travel agent usually sets it up with my choice from the companies they use. Allianz is who we have been using lately for cancellation and for pre-existing conditions and for EVACUATION insurance (big bird has to come out -- usually on this side from Canada or on Euope side from Britian) to air lift you from ship with serious medical condition. This is infrequent but on my 20 some cruises I have seen it happen 4 times-- really impressive to see them land helicopter at sea ALSO so expensive). We also carry a yearly membership in MedJet Assist which provides medical transport from hospital to hospital so you can get back to America/home (AARP program makes it more affordable) and Blue Cross/Blue Shield for medical insurance outside the borders of USA. Remember Medicare pays nothing outside USA and that does include all fees for the ship doctor also. Travel insurance does much more than just cover cancellation. If you don't insure -- you self-insure which is good too if you have made that decision and haven't just let things happen.

Only very big problem with MedJet Assist is; once you reach a certain age which my DH has reached they will either not insure him or the premium is very high...