Split - What To Do?

From the small ship I was on, we docked very close to town, certainy walkable. I'm not sure where larger ships go -- not where we were, for sure. They'd be too big.

In Split there is plenty to do for a good half day. The entire old town area is built in the remains of the palace of a Roman emperor. You can visit various parts of this palace, including the cellars, peristyle, mausoleum, and a former temple -- with or without a guide. There's also a small but nice archaeological museum, and nice spots to grab a lunch and people watch (or admire the architecture).

• 4 weeks later...

There is plently to do. Diocletian's Palace is 100 feet or so from the docks, it was originally on the water. The entrance from the port is through the original basement and the old city is actually within the Palace walls. The esplanade along the port is wonderful. There are lot of local (meaning locally made goods) shopping opportunities, you must explore every gate. Truly amazing. The remnants of imperial rome are all around and reasonably well preserved. You can easily spend a whole day or more seeing the sights. I was there in June 2015. It was also, like all the Croatian ports I have visited, Hvar, Dubrovnik, Zadar, very safe, friendly, clean, relatively inexpensive and inviting and english is widely spoken and Americans warmly welcomed. I went by speedboat from Hvar, so I do not know much about where the ships dock but it seemed very close and walkable. Docking there in September 2016 on the Silver Spirit and I am very much looking forward to seeing it again and exploring further. It has to be one of my favorite ports and not quite as overrun by tourists as Dubrovnik, as it is larger.

Hi there,

We are going to be stopping in Split. What is there to see if we want to stay in the city and not take a trip away from it? Is it walkable from the ship? Thanks a lot.

This is what we did - you will need a bit of local money for the palace but there is a bureau de change a few yards from it. The beach we went to is nearby too. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]DzbACT0KV-M[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

We are going to be stopping in Split. What is there to see if we want to stay in the city and not take a trip away from it? Is it walkable from the ship? Thanks a lot.

Good morning Mike.

Having just headed up my blog review of Split I then noticed your enquiry.

So here for you is the link to my cruise blog page that covers Split...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/06/17/one-way-to-do-split/

It's a really nice place to visit, easy to do on your own and you could possibly get hooked on it...

27200496250_70e349348e_z.jpg

For the sake of accuracy, may I correct you on the following

For all but the smallest cruise ships Split will, however, be a ‘tender’ port. The good news though is that the tender embarkation jetty is almost in the centre of the city..

I have recently visited Split on Costa Mediterranea. CM is by no means a small ship and she docked alongside.

For the sake of accuracy, may I correct you on the following

I have recently visited Split on Costa Mediterranea. CM is by no means a small ship and she docked alongside.

I would hazard a guess that Costa Mediterranea, at a tonnage of 85,700 would be classed smaller than Celebrity Eclipse at 121,870.

9038344197_06d3edfeb6_z.jpg

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/19/celebrity-eclipse-classic-mediterannean-cruise/

27442841526_f18a459cd5_z.jpg

We were there a few years ago, we tendered in and found the old city very walkable. In fact Dudette was in her wheelchair and we found the town to be about 75 to 80% accessible.

Hi there Putterdude.

Fortunately I have some experienced cruisers who follow my cruise blog and over the weekend one commented on there being a new docking facility at the port.

I've updated the blog to reflect the guy's information...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/06/17/one-way-to-do-split/

...complete with a video link.

Hi Mike, I've been to Split twice, and there's lots there to keep you occupied. What are your interests?

If you like cafe-culture, there are plenty of restaurants and cafes on Split's main promenade, which overlooks the water. For those who appreciate museums, there is the Meštrović Gallery, plus the city's archaeological museum. Just walking around the city (which is actually built within the walls of Diocletian's former palace) is fascinating. It's possible to do with or without a guide.

There are lots of resources on the internet. Here are some guides to get you started:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/croatia/dalmatia/split/things-to-do

http://triciaannemitchell.com/2014/01/04/diocletian-palace-split-walking-tour/

http://www.roughguides.com/destinations/europe/croatia/split-south-dalmatian-coast/split/

Hi there,

I would hazard a guess that Costa Mediterranea, at a tonnage of 85,700 would be classed smaller than Celebrity Eclipse at 121,870.

9038344197_06d3edfeb6_z.jpg

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/19/celebrity-eclipse-classic-mediterannean-cruise/

27442841526_f18a459cd5_z.jpg

That may indeed be true, but your original comment was ALL BUT THE SMALLEST SHIPs, at 87500t, hardly the smallest of ships!

We were just there on Jade, which is not a small ship and it docks there unless there are winds over something like 12 to 15 knots, in which case it tenders. Apparently the dock is big enough to handle larger ships but if there are more than light seas there is a risk of damage to the dock.

Tenders arrive right in town. Docked ships in the main harbor are a 10 minute walk. It is a very manageable do it yourself port.