Need Help Fast. Celebrity vs Royal

Booked the Harmony transatlantic in Oct and now just got some info that means we probably can't go those dates. We are so bummed!!! However, now looking at early November for leaving and Celebrity Silhouette seems to be a good option. The problem is we know nothing about Celebrity. We have done transatlantics on Liberty and loved them.

The wife and I would have our 1 year old daughter with us (and Auntie for help). We are in our 30s and 40s. We like to dress very casual on a transatlantic because we want to pack as light as possible for our extended travel in Europe. This means I wear shorts or jeans a lot and on Royal that means we eat in the Windjammer (if wearing shorts). Would I be totally out of place on Celebrity doing that? Are there casual options each night? Are there bars like the Pub or Schooner bar on Royal? I would assume there are but are they casual like on Royal? Will we feel like the crowd is much older than on Royal? I've heard it is but I often discount statements like this because I'm sure all ages cruise on all ships.

We would like a balcony cabin or some type of family room if they have it. What is the equal to a regular balcony room on Royal? Names like Concierge Class seem like they are probably misleading but I don't know.

Any thoughts or info would be very much appreciated. I can't tell you how bummed we are that we might have to cancel our Harmony TA but maybe Silhouette is a good back up plan?

Please help.

Edited by topnole

Booked the Harmony transatlantic in Oct and now just got some info that means we probably can't go those dates. We are so bummed!!! However, now looking at early November for leaving and Celebrity Silhouette seems to be a good option. The problem is we know nothing about Celebrity. We have done transatlantics on Liberty and loved them.

The wife and I would have our 1 year old daughter with us (and Auntie for help). We are in our 30s and 40s. We like to dress very casual on a transatlantic because we want to pack as light as possible for our extended travel in Europe. This means I wear shorts or jeans a lot and on Royal that means we eat in the Windjammer (if wearing shorts). Would I be totally out of place on Celebrity doing that? Are there casual options each night? Are there bars like the Pub or Schooner bar on Royal? I would assume there are but are they casual like on Royal? Will we feel like the crowd is much older than on Royal? I've heard it is but I often discount statements like this because I'm sure all ages cruise on all ships.

We would like a balcony cabin or some type of family room if they have it. What is the equal to a regular balcony room on Royal? Names like Concierge Class seem like they are probably misleading but I don't know.

Any thoughts or info would be very much appreciated. I can't tell you how bummed we are that we might have to cancel our Harmony TA but maybe Silhouette is a good back up plan?

Please help.

We found X dull and boring , once was enough for us.

We have done 4 Celebrity cruises, 1 RC cruise and another one coming up this summer. We can only cruise in the summer and have done Bermuda twice, Mediterranean and Alaska with CCL. We are now going to the Carribean with RC this summer. We are a family of 4, 2 teens and we are in our early 40's. We definitely prefer the food and service on Celebrity. However we prefer the activities on RC. Celebrity has great bars-especially the molecular one and ice bars. There are many different cabin choices on Celebrity. Regular balconies, as well as upgrades - Aqua class, Concierge. When we went to Europe we stayed in a family room-500 plus sq feet with separate living room, master bedroom and kids room. It was not considered a suite, but I believe you now have to have 5 people booked in the cabin. Age demographics are similar between the lines but on a TA it might be an older crowd. You will definitely not be disappointed with Celebrity.

You will be more than fine any time of the day in Celebrity's Ocean View Cafe (buffet) wearing shorts. The nice thing about Celebrity's buffet is the hours are better than on Royal and IMO the food is much better than Royal's buffet. In the MDR my husband wears pants and a polo or button down and is fine. The specialty restaurants are all "smart casual" everyday, so no "formal" or jackets needed at any time. The Silhouette also has a great restaurant Lawn Club Grill, which is outside, but covered/sheltered from weather. It is one of the specialty restaurants that my kids have always enjoyed. There is also Mast Grill out on the pool deck open all day until 6 pm, I believe and Cafe al Bacio has coffee/tea drinks and snacks from morning until late night.

Yes, they have special family staterooms, but not many. They are all located at the front of the ship and have a bedroom, living area, one bathroom and a second small bedroom that sleeps two I think. The second room is very small. We have never seen one of these cabins but have seen photos others have posted.

The Silhouette does not have all the extras like ice rink, etc that Royal has but we love it and the other Solstice class ships. There are many photos and reviews online to give you an idea of what the ship is like. Try Gambee's review on here or from his website ..just google "Cruise with Gambee" and it will come up. He has many great photos of the Silhouette.

i have always wanted to try Celebrity(we have cruised RCI,NCL, Princess, and Carnival prior) and had a great opportunity this past Feb. with a quick, inexpensive 2 nighter offered. It was on the Celebrity Millenium. The ship was very nice, good food, etc., but like the person above, we found the ship to be very boring...just not much going on. We went with another couple, so still had a great time, but probably would not cruise for anything more than a short 3 day. Just to let you know, it looks like we have about 10yrs. on you, and other couple we went with were mid/late 40's and thought the same. Princess had a bit older crowd(like us..lol), but we found it to be much more lively. Could have been just this particular ship, but I get the feeling that may not be the case. Hope this helps!

We have cruised 2 years in a row on the pretty large Celebrity Equinox. (2 active seniors...not familiar with children's activities, but from what I read, RC wins handsdown.)

This year we are heading to the Oasis. Loved Liberty of the Seas years ago.

My opinion....Bottom line...When one wants to cruise more for the ports, Celebrity is best. However, when one wants to cruise more for the ship itself, it's RC.

Celebrity's service (we were in regular balconies) is superb and a bit "elegant" with free champagne and mimosas handed out at embarkation with smiles, cold towels and ice water when you return from the ship, a wonderful enclosed solarium w/pool which is fabulous for days w/bad weather, fabulous library. Great ship to relax on, but not much in way of good entertainment or fun bars (other than their iced Martini bar).

We loved the varied itineraries in the Caribbean, Panama Canal area, Columbia, etc. and this is a fabulous line to sail to those places and relax a lot on sea days inbetween excursions.

The wife and I would have our 1 year old daughter with us (and Auntie for help). We are in our 30s and 40s. We like to dress very casual on a transatlantic because we want to pack as light as possible for our extended travel in Europe. This means I wear shorts or jeans a lot and on Royal that means we eat in the Windjammer (if wearing shorts). Would I be totally out of place on Celebrity doing that? more out of place than on Royal. Celebrity actually does adhere to a resort casual dress code and are stricter on formal nights about things like jackets on the guys. you will not see many jeans at all, period and shorts only during the day Are there casual options each night? their buffet is quite good Are there bars like the Pub or Schooner bar on Royal? I would assume there are but are they casual like on Royal? same mix of laid back and quietly refined lounges. Will we feel like the crowd is much older than on Royal? Much older? maybe. transatlantic in general stand to attract that crowd anyway. I've heard it is but I often discount statements like this because I'm sure all ages cruise on all ships.

Please help.

the web site has the breakdown of each class/category so you can choose which fits your needs best.

we found Celebrity to be more refined and country club like. the shorts will be golf shorts and Bermuda type on the guys( belts, pressed,etc) as opposed to a pair of basketball style. I don't think I saw a single pair of jeans the entire week. Lots of khakis/dockers during the day and separates in the evening. Polo shirts: day, Button down: evening. a few tee shirts for port days.

the entertainment is far more laid back and soothing. the soloist by the coffee bar was a harpist or pianist, for instance.

We are diamond plus with Royal but loved our cruise on Equinox. Service was excellent, food for us was about equal with Royal. Ship was beautiful. There were actually quite a few kids onboard but I suspect on a TA there will be less. You never know until you try! We would definitely book Celebrity again if the price is right.

I love Celebrity. Granted it is more up scale and, yes, "modern luxury" as X refers to it. Those who find it dull and boring obviously need more fun and excitement in their lives to be entertained; many do not. Less kids too. Celebrity = Classy. In fact I almost prefer it more than Cunard