Gem Secrets to pass along -- Part 2

Dziadzi

Back in October 2010, a thread started asking for “Gem Secrets to Pass Along.” It was really helpful but I learned that the Gem has been updated since 2010 and am asking if you have any “secrets” and/or tips about the Gem you would like to share; stuff like the best place to be when the ship sets sail, favorite bar, avoiding long lines, etc. We are on the July 2 sailing and are newbies so thanks you all your suggestions!

Back in October 2010, a thread started asking for “Gem Secrets to Pass Along.” It was really helpful but I learned that the Gem has been updated since 2010 and am asking if you have any “secrets” and/or tips about the Gem you would like to share; stuff like the best place to be when the ship sets sail, favorite bar, avoiding long lines, etc. We are on the July 2 sailing and are newbies so thanks you all your suggestions!

Do you have a link to the original thread? I can't find it and am sailing on the Gem for the first time in two weeks, so I'm also curious.

We've sailed on the Gem three times, most recently in February. A few of our favorite spots and not to be missed places (some are shared by all the Jewel class ships);

1. The quiet sun deck all the way forward on Deck 14

2. The Great Outdoors. Not just for eating, but a wonderful place to sit and relax.

3. The bridge viewing room (Deck 11 forward, port side)

4. The promenade deck (Deck 7); would that new builds had them!

5. Grabbing a lounger and sitting in the shade on Deck 13, just aft of the pool area (near Cagney's) [you can sit in the sun on the other side :) ]

6. The Spinnaker Lounge, Deck 13, if you want a nice forward view without being outside (often used for activities, however, so may not be quiet)

Happy to answer any questions if I can.

It's been nearly a year since we sailed Gem, but this thread I'm sure will bring me back wonderful memories.

Moderno: the bar immediately inside is usually quiet, but has a nice view, and you don't have to eat there/ have a reservation to get a drink. Right across from Cagney's so a great place to stop before dinner. The bartender there (I cannot remember his name, which is awful bc he's awesome) made the best mojitos I've ever had! (eta: it is called the Sugarcane mojito bar, but it wasn't just the mojito bar that had great mojitos. It was that particular bartender, who we also saw late at night in Spinnakers).

Edited by abbyar

Leo has been playing guitar on the Gem since 2011, enjoyed him on all three of our Gem cruises, will probably still be there next year, worth checking out.

TOTALLY agree. He is a very talented man. Im hoping he is still on the Gem the next time we go.

Leo has been playing guitar on the Gem since 2011, enjoyed him on all three of our Gem cruises, will probably still be there next year, worth checking out.

Leo has been on all three of our Gem cruises. He seems very amiable, plays guitar extremely well, and I really love his song choices. But to me at least (and my spouse agrees here), his voice is lacking. He often sounds flat. Please don't flame me, but I just don't get it. I would truly like to love him, because I really do like the stuff he opts to sing.