NCL Gift Cards

mabones

I just received an E-Mail for Father's Day to purchase NCL Gift Cards. Are they worth it? I thought I read a while back that they offered discounted Cards around Father's Day.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Discounted gift cards? Never heard of such a thing. The gift cards can be used on board or towards a cruise. I think you also have to pay for shipping - maybe that's where the discount comes in? I don't think gift cards are refundable either.

I usually give my parents OBC for holidays, etc. when they have a cruise booked and then just print my own note/card so they know to make sure they have it onboard. I think the OBC you purchase is considered refundable so you can get it back if not spent.

Discounted gift cards? Never heard of such a thing. The gift cards can be used on board or towards a cruise. I think you also have to pay for shipping - maybe that's where the discount comes in? I don't think gift cards are refundable either.

There's never been a shipping charge.

Thanks - I saw standard vs. expedited shipping & figured you had to at least pay for expedited. That's another gift card v. just OBC plus - OBC is automatic - you don't have to wait for it to come in the mail.

If you're actually giving it to someone as a gift, a gift card is a heck of a lot more practical. Plus, they can use it prior to the cruise, like to buy a dining package, pay their DSC, put it towards their final payment, etc. OR they can use it on board, turning it into OBC. When flat out buying OBC, it's much more limited.

This is the 1st time I received an E-mail for purchasing Gift Cards. I could have sworn that I saw something, in the past, about special purchases being available around Father's Day. It could have been another cruise line for all I know.

I usually purchase Carnival's GC using AARP or Verizon Wireless, but they have a 10% discount & $.59 shipping charge which is well worth the purchase.

Will have to think about this.

I thought this part of the Father's Day gift card e-mail was ridiculous:

Gift Card orders will ship to arrive within 10-14 business days (standard shipping) from the date the order is placed. For expedited shipping, Gift Cards will ship to arrive within 6 business days from the date the order is placed. Please note that shipping times are estimates and cannot be guaranteed. Please allow adequate time to receive Gift Cards. Gift Cards orders are non-refundable and cannot be cancelled.

Why in the world does it take so long to get the gift cards? No wonder the e-mail went out more than a month before Father's Day -- if you wait until the last minute, there'd be no chance of getting it on time even with expedited shipping!

I wish NCL would sell their gift cards in supermarkets like Carnival. I'm a sucker for 'impulse' items, and I would buy them all the time!

Yes, I agree, and I'll bet they'd sell many more cards that way. Because they don't sell in retail outlets, a lot of people are not even aware that NCL has gift cards.

I would NOT buy a NCL gift card. I got one as a perk for opening a NCL credit card in 2014 and using the cc to par for my cruise. What i didn't know was that they charge you a monthly fee if you don't use the card in the first 12 months!! So I went to use the card this year and I have less than $25 left on it, so I don't think I can even apply it to my obc. :( Not worth buying unless you know for sure when you'll use it...

A lot of gift cards have monthly fees. NCL's are $3 per month after 13 months consecutive nonuse. It's right at number 2 in the terms and conditions - Fees and not hidden in fine print or legalese anywhere.

I thought this part of the Father's Day gift card e-mail was ridiculous:

Why in the world does it take so long to get the gift cards? No wonder the e-mail went out more than a month before Father's Day -- if you wait until the last minute, there'd be no chance of getting it on time even with expedited shipping!

That is the bad part. I bought 4 to give away for Christmas on October 31 and did not get them until January. :eek:

Edited by qtaromar1970

That is the bad part. I bought 4 to give away for Christmas on October 31 and did not get them until January. :eek:

That's nuts! I have never waited more than 2 weeks for them to arrive, which is what is promised on the web.

(I've only purchased them 3 different times, but still...)

I just received an E-Mail for Father's Day to purchase NCL Gift Cards. Are they worth it? I thought I read a while back that they offered discounted Cards around Father's Day.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

You were correct on the discounted gift cards for Father's Day a few years ago but it was Carnival that offered it. It was a great deal - bought some for a trip way back when. Not sure why they picked Father's Day as they did not offer it for Mother's Day or any other holiday... go figure.

That's nuts! I have never waited more than 2 weeks for them to arrive, which is what is promised on the web.

(I've only purchased them 3 different times, but still...)

I agree is nuts. I did not pay for the expedited so that must have been it. I kept calling and calling expecting them for Christmas until i gave up and finally got them in January.

I agree is nuts. I did not pay for the expedited so that must have been it. I kept calling and calling expecting them for Christmas until i gave up and finally got them in January.

I've never paid expedited or anything for shipping. They have always arrived as promised.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app