Turtle Cove Sailing Trip?

thall1719

My sister and I did this excursion last Sept. It was fantastic! The boat we went on was a short walk from where our cruise ship was docked. The crew was awesome - very friendly and good at explaining the process. One of the crew was in the water, spotting turtles for us to come see and offering some educational information as well. You didn't state the age of your boys, but I started mine snorkeling at about age 5.

After the snorkeling was over, it was rum punch time!

Edited by Got2GoGo

We did Buck Island with Captain Karl. He picked us up right at the land end of the cruise dock in a dingy and took us to his sailboat. I'm sure if you wanted to do a different destination he'd be more than happy to accommodate. You could probably do just your family too, which in my eyes is a lot nicer than being on a catamaran with 50 people.

We sort of fell upon him when we had booked someone else who had to make an emergency trip to the states. Our original booking asked Karl to take us in their absence and I couldn't have been happier.

He and his first mate Erin were VERY knowledgable about the area. Erin was great at pointing out turtles and other sea life and even did some free dives to grab a few things to show us.

He's been living in the islands for 20 some odd years so he really knows his stuff :) He's a bit old school in that you'd have to call him (no website) but trust me.....he's worth it! lol

Message me if you are interested and I'll give you his number. I don't want to post it on here :) Let me know if you have any questions.

Which company did you use?

We booked through our ship, the Disney Fantasy. I sometimes book local operators, but this was our first time in St Thomas, so we opted to play it safe. It was only about $60 for sailing out to snorkel location, at least an hour in the water (maybe more?), all the rum punch you could drink (post snorkeling, of course), plus about an hour at Honeymoon beach.

• 2 months later...

Karl is old school. He doesn't have a website, just a cell phone. Not sure if I had mentioned it in this thread, but I ended up with him because the people we had scheduled with had an emergency and had to go out of town so they set me up with Karl vs cancelling my excursion.

I can't express how wonderful he really was. I have his cell number and that's it. I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed to post that info on here???? If you guys can PM me, I'll respond back with the number. I'm pretty new to these boards and can't figure out how to send one???

As I told the last person, I don't know how to private message on here. I'm not sure he would want his number on the message board. If you know how to private message, and would send me one, I can respond with his phone number.

Otherwise, you can email me and just put "Captain Karl" in the subject line. My email is "morris.shannon" at hotmail.com.

We are back on the Fantasy 9/10 and will be in St Thomas. Seems much more difficult to book excursions on our own here. In St Marteen there are a lot of power boat operators that take care of everything - drinks, lunch, snorkeling, cruise around the island.. Can't seem to find that in St Thomas. We did a full day pirate sail to buck island and honeymoon beach that was wonderful, but very full and crowded ship. Hoping there is a recommendation for something. Ore personal? There are 9 of us, two families and 4 kids 6-9 in ages.

[quote name=BeachBlonde217;50856226

Otherwise' date=' you can email me and just put "Captain Karl" in the subject line. My email is "morris.shannon" at hotmail.com.[/quote]

Sent you an email for more information. Thanks so much!!

Inlakemary: Did you google "day charters St Thomas"? There are a good number of boats that can take your group out. The caveat is that September is the height of hurricane season and many boats are out of the water. But, if you run into problems with one boat, ask if they have suggestions. For example, Pirate's Penny and Stormy Petrel take a max of 12 passengers....