Just off the Pride of America, any questions?

Kattus

I may write a review of our trip, but in the meanwhile, if anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer them. I know that information about the ship is out there, but sometimes the odd question comes up and it's impossible to find in the search. So just paying it forward!:)

Kattus: We have appreciated your pre-cruise comments and suggestions. We are on the 6/4 POA cruise.

1) What time were you able to board POA?

2) What times do you recommend for dinner and how long did it take for you to eat in the main dining rooms? (We would like to go to the shows afterwards).

3) Do you recall if there were shuttles to Walmart in Kahului, Kailua-Kona, and/or Nawilili?

4) Did you rent a car in Kahului? If so, was it easy to find & take the shuttles to the airport?

5) On your cruise, about what time did you pass the Na Pali coast and what time did you have dinner that night?

6) Has the sewage smell problem on deck 6 been fixed?

7) Do you have any POA tips that you picked up on your cruise?

Thanks in advance:)

Kattus: We have appreciated your pre-cruise comments and suggestions. We are on the 6/4 POA cruise.

1) What time were you able to board POA?

2) What times do you recommend for dinner and how long did it take for you to eat in the main dining rooms? (We would like to go to the shows afterwards).

3) Do you recall if there were shuttles to Walmart in Kahului, Kailua-Kona, and/or Nawilili?

4) Did you rent a car in Kahului? If so, was it easy to find & take the shuttles to the airport?

5) On your cruise, about what time did you pass the Na Pali coast and what time did you have dinner that night?

6) Has the sewage smell problem on deck 6 been fixed?

7) Do you have any POA tips that you picked up on your cruise?

Thanks in advance:)

1) we arrived at the pier about 11 and boarded at 11:30 since we were in a suite. For other passengers, there's entertainment inside the cruise terminal that I wished we could have seen, but it was nice getting on the ship early.

2) The shows are at 7pm and 9pm, but there are other events in between some nights. I'll try to get one of the Dailies on here (there's a great ongoing review from April 2nd cruise with them posted I believe). We had most reservations around 6/6:30, and with the exception of one night at La Cucina, dinner service was quick and efficient. I'd say leave at least an hour and fifteen minutes for dinner.

3) I heard the shuttles at Kahului were very seldom, but we did take a shuttle to Anchor Cove for an excursion pickup on Kauai and it ran every 10 minutes until about 9pm.

4) We don't drive lol but I saw a lot of rental car shuttles in Kahului.

5) We approached the Na Pali coast a little after 5pm, and one of the Hawaiian ambassadors started the narration at 5:15. Tip: make your way to Deck 13 forward and port side early to get the best view and hear the narration clearly.

6) To be honest, if I didn't know there was a sewage smell issue, I don't think I would have noticed the very faint odor. But it's still there as you enter the Napa Wine Bar on Deck 6.

7) Go to the Kukui Nut lei making the afternoon of Day 3. The two Hawaiian ambassadors China and Kaulani host it and it makes for a great (free) souvenir!!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Would love to know who you used from the airport to the ship and vice versa!

Would love to read a review about your trip, too!

Thanks so much

Johnnycab picked us up at the airport. Highly recommend them!!!! We would have used them for the hotel to pier ride, but Hawaii23 charged the least amount of any can service to the ship. Don't book with them, they're not reliable. We were supposed to be picked up at our hotel at 10:30. When it hit 10:45 and I assumed they were in traffic, I called them up and they acted like I didn't have a reserved time[emoji15]

Thanks for good info. A few more questions:

8) Are there any venues other than the Aloha buffet, Moderno Cafe and the dining rooms that have complimentary pastries and sandwiches during the day?

9) Did your cruise have a sail-by of Kiluaea? (I know most haven't this year, but I keep hoping!)

10) Do you know where can espresso drinks be purchased other than dining rooms and specialty dining restaurants?

11) When you were in Waikiki, did you eat at (or see) any less expensive places for lunch that you might suggest? We're saving our $ for dinners.:)

Not sure about fresh pastries, but I know if you're in a suite they can be delivered as part of in-suite breakfast in the morning. We didn't go to the buffet.

And unfortunately, the ship has not sailed by Kilauea in some time because there isn't lava flowing into the ocean.

I may write a review of our trip, but in the meanwhile, if anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer them. I know that information about the ship is out there, but sometimes the odd question comes up and it's impossible to find in the search. So just paying it forward!:)

We are two seniors traveling with a 12 year old.

Would like suggestions as to tour companies in each port, we prefer guided tours to see all the highlights.

Thanks

We are two seniors traveling with a 12 year old.

Would like suggestions as to tour companies in each port, we prefer guided tours to see all the highlights.

Thanks

The Kauai Movie Tours excursion on the morning of Day 2 in Kauai was wonderful, and I think the 12 year old would really like seeing where scenes from Jurassic Park were filmed.

On the Hilo side of the Big Island, Marylou's Big Island Tours was my favorite day of the trip. She runs the business with her husband Ken, and their son and son's fiance, who also do tours on the Kona side of the island. That's me in the picture inside the lava tube we walked through at Volcanoes National Park :D

13243957_10154744847950931_850563497871888854_o.jpg.bbd4c09e3cf12a773268758af015c8d8.jpg

We used Johnny Cab too. We were on the POA 2 weeks ago and Johnny cab clearly communicates and shows up when and where they are supposed to. I would use them again.

Johnnycab picked us up at the airport. Highly recommend them!!!! We would have used them for the hotel to pier ride, but Hawaii23 charged the least amount of any can service to the ship. Don't book with them, they're not reliable. We were supposed to be picked up at our hotel at 10:30. When it hit 10:45 and I assumed they were in traffic, I called them up and they acted like I didn't have a reserved time[emoji15]

Thanks so much for taking questions :D

Was East Meets West still next to the Teppanyaki restaurant? Other NCL ships now have this restaurant as complimentary but I was not sure if POA went that direction since it is on the deck plans but not on the complimentary dining options.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Michelle

Thanks so much for taking questions :D

Was East Meets West still next to the Teppanyaki restaurant? Other NCL ships now have this restaurant as complimentary but I was not sure if POA went that direction since it is on the deck plans but not on the complimentary dining options.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Michelle

Affirmative [emoji3]. We had dinner at East Meets West one night, and I heard the hibachi chef and cheers from the room next door.

Affirmative [emoji3]. We had dinner at East Meets West one night, and I heard the hibachi chef and cheers from the room next door.

Does POA only offer sushi and sashimi in East Meets West or were cooked dinners available there? How did you make reservations? And just to confirm, was it complimentary?

Thanks very much for your continuing help!

The Kauai Movie Tours excursion on the morning of Day 2 in Kauai was wonderful, and I think the 12 year old would really like seeing where scenes from Jurassic Park were filmed.

On the Hilo side of the Big Island, Marylou's Big Island Tours was my favorite day of the trip. She runs the business with her husband Ken, and their son and son's fiance, who also do tours on the Kona side of the island. That's me in the picture inside the lava tube we walked through at Volcanoes National Park :D

A big second vote for Mary Lou's Big Island Tours for Hilo and Kona. These are small group tours, probably not more than 6 or so people total, and are conducted by either Mary Lou, husband Ken, or son Kyle or fiancé only. We have gone with Mary Lou in Hilo, and son Kyle in Kona. We loved both tours. The price is excellent. They are semi customizable. They will email you a suggested itinerary. If there is something particular you wish to see or do, let them know then, and they will let you know if it is possible.

It's complimentary, but like the other free venues, they also have upcharge items. There's also a section for sushi at the back of the menu.

We didn't make reservations, just walked in. I assumed the ship would have a lot less people on board since it was the night of the luau, so that could have been it lol

We are on POA August 6, 2016 and have booked Haleakala Crater at Sunset excursion. the info on the trip says to be sure to bundle up. Does anyone know how cold it gets or can suggest what to bring? Since we are packing for August don't want to bring a coat.

We are on POA August 6, 2016 and have booked Haleakala Crater at Sunset excursion. the info on the trip says to be sure to bundle up. Does anyone know how cold it gets or can suggest what to bring? Since we are packing for August don't want to bring a coat.

It is about 30 degrees cooler at the summit than it is at sea level, so expect 40s or 50s. I wore capris and had a sweatshirt but we did not do sunrise or sunset.

I hope you get a chance to stop at some of the viewing points on the way up, those are as beautiful as the summit view of the crater.

Please let us know what you thought of the food on POA ?

Purchase the SDP. We had a 4 meal plan, and regretted not getting the 6 meal one. The MDR food was incredibly bland, esp our meal at Liberty. I will say though that my husband's orange chicken and our pot stickers at East Meets West were pretty good.

We're going on the POA in October. Did you notice if there were rental cars available at the port in Kauai or would we have to go to the airport to get a car?

Thanks!

The only port that has actual rental cars near the port is in Kona, where you can book a car at the King Kam hotel, a short walk away. Or, you can ride the shuttle to the airport at Kona. I would book well in advance if booking at the hotel.

The other ports, the only option I'm aware of is to ride your rental company's shuttle to the airport, about 10 minutes away. The various companies will come inside the port area to meet people who have a booking. They run back and forth continuously in the am. Just look for the area where tours and various shuttles meet passengers when you get off the ship. They will drop you directly at your rental office.