Can we see molten lava anywhere in HI ?

uvasag

I've been reading about the volcanoes in HI and it seems like even though some are active we can't see molten lava from any of them. Is that true ? I do see videos of molten lava but they are old.

If you are at the overlook/Visitor Center area of the Volcano Nat'l Park (Kilauea) after dark, you will typically see a glow from a crater, perhaps actual lava. That is it for right now. But, that can change without any notice.

The VNP website has activity info:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

Most of the activity since regular flows began in the early 1980s have been in the inaccessible Pu'u 'Ō'ō area.

As Bruce posted the Halema'uma'u area has also been active:

"During the day a robust plume of volcanic gas is a constant and dramatic reminder of the molten rock churning in a lava lake within the crater. After sunset, Halema'uma'u continues to thrill visitors and park staff with a vivid glow that illuminates the clouds and plume (weather permitting)".

Edited by Astro Flyer

I would have put that in my post, but couldn't spell it....:D;)

I knew how to spell those words but instead copied & pasted them from the VNP website to have the correct Hawaiian language version of the words. ;) :D

This shows a Hawaii Volcano Observatory's webcam view of Halema'uma'u which is part of Kīlauea.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cams/panorama.php?cam=KIcam

image.jpg.6ce5dd3ca9496421a8acdb50a29a3f48.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

Kilauea, on the Island of Hawaii, is the only volcano in Hawaii with lava flowing from it - and your best chance (currently) to see lava is probably via a helicopter tour.

As mentioned above, the glow from the lava in Halemaumau Crater in Volcanoes National Park is impressive- but cruise schedules make it a challenge to be in VNP after dark. If you are on POA, you'd need to arrange to stay off the ship overnight between Hilo and Kailua Kona ... or you could do a pre or post cruise stay on the east side of the Big Island.

If you are at the overlook/Visitor Center area of the Volcano Nat'l Park (Kilauea) after dark, you will typically see a glow from a crater, perhaps actual lava. That is it for right now. But, that can change without any notice.

22464777507_5956869a89_z.jpg

Crater view at night, no lava just a glow.

22464776907_0588ed9886_z.jpg

Carter view durning the day. Currently the only way to see lava is by helicopter if you are on a ship. But conditions change all the time.

Thanks for the pictures. I was hoping for lava flowing and bubbling like I saw on TV lol.

That was possible up until about Sept. 2013 via a guided hike at Kalapana, but the lava flow changed direction and since then has no longer been accessible (unless you do it illegally and risk your life hiking there.) But you never know ... it could change direction again and become accessible.

That was possible up until about Sept. 2013 via a guided hike at Kalapana, but the lava flow changed direction and since then has no longer been accessible (unless you do it illegally and risk your life hiking there.) But you never know ... it could change direction again and become accessible.

Due to the wind direction during our most recent VNP visit several years ago, the hazardous cloud (sulphuric?) from the lava entering the ocean kept everyone miles away from it.

The Big Island's volcanic activity creates vog (volcanic fog) that in certain wind conditions will create hazy & polluted air that can spread throughout the chain of islands.

In the early 1980s we were fortunate to experience things that no longer exist & are now covered in lava...Queen's Bath, Kalapana & the old black sand beach. A hike from the visitor's center to Halema'uma'u was a great experience for us crossing Kilauea crater over hardened lava trails only a few years old.

Stop Astroflyer. You are making me even more sad [emoji20]. But you are right, you were indeed very fortunate.

Madame Pele takes away some things & gives other things in return...to experience the creation of new land is an amazing experience. :) We do appreciate our memories, photos & videos of now gone places.

It took me decades to discover that here in South Maui near La Perouse bay there is lava from Hakeakala's last flow in the late 1700s.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Due to the wind direction during our most recent VNP visit several years ago, the hazardous cloud (sulphuric?) from the lava entering the ocean kept everyone miles away from it.

We were fortunate to be able to do a guided hike in Kalapana in April 2013 ... it was 7 miles round trip, hiking over hardened lava, but we were rewarded with being able to stand next to lava flows, walk across cracks with lava flowing beneath them (that was a little scary ... and warm!) and see it flowing into the ocean. Our guide kept us at a further distance from the ocean entry than other groups were ... we had a very safety conscious guide!

The experience was incredible .... hopefully there will be opportunities again for others to experience that...I know I'd go back in an instant for that, but we'll likely make a return trip to the BI anyways because we liked it so much.

Susan-M...what an incredible experience & it's something I've only "experienced" by watching a TV program. ;)

I've read that the landmass of the BI is larger than all of the other Hawaiian islands combined. All islands have a variety of experiences but it's hard to beat the BI. Here on Maui it's pretty good with better beaches & we daily enjoy a little bit of the BI while enjoying our 100% Kona coffee. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

AstroFlyer ... you mentioned LaPerouse Bay above ... it's an impressive sight too!

uvasag ... even if you don't get to see flowing lava on the BI, Volcanoes National Park has a lot to offer. A drive down Chain of Craters Road to see the expansive lava fields and view out to the ocean is wonderful. A hike across Kilauea Iki crater is a highlight if you like hiking. You could do both during a port day from Hilo, and fit in a stop at Jaggar Museum to see Halemaumau crater in the distance.

On Maui, Haleakala (a dormant volcano) offers impressive views into the crater.

On Kauai, Waimea Canyon and the Napali Coast have 'jaw dropping' scenery.

So even without seeing flowing lava - you'll have no shortage of 'wow' moments with those sights ... plus many more!:)

AstroFlyer ... you mentioned LaPerouse Bay above ... it's an impressive sight too!

uvasag ... even if you don't get to see flowing lava on the BI, Volcanoes National Park has a lot to offer. A drive down Chain of Craters Road to see the expansive lava fields and view out to the ocean is wonderful. A hike across Kilauea Iki crater is a highlight if you like hiking. You could do both during a port day from Hilo, and fit in a stop at Jaggar Museum to see Halemaumau crater in the distance.

On Maui, Haleakala (a dormant volcano) offers impressive views into the crater.

On Kauai, Waimea Canyon and the Napali Coast have 'jaw dropping' scenery.

So even without seeing flowing lava - you'll have no shortage of 'wow' moments with those sights ... plus many more!:)

Thank you Susan. Yes, there is still a lot to see and appreciate in HI :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've been reading about the volcanoes in HI and it seems like even though some are active we can't see molten lava from any of them. Is that true ? I do see videos of molten lava but they are old.

If you are sailing on the POA and if Kilauea has a hint of lava, they will sail by at night - up and back. There was information about what we were viewing via PA outside on the decks while viewing.

Our first cruise, it was amazing! Second cruise, no activity.

Many on our first cruise missed this event because NCL did not publicize it very well, so check with the crew for updates.

The lava is now somewhat accessible. A week after your post there was a new breakout from pu'u o'o which has since been moving towards the ocean. Last week it made it's way to the base of the pali (cliff) is visible ay night from the end of chain or craters road or a closer view (but still not right next to it) walking all the way down the county emergency access road either from the end of highway 130 (the recommended route) or from chain of craters road in volcanoes national park.

Tour companies are now leading guided lava hikes (6 hours over black hardened lava in, not a walk in the park) right up to the flow.

It's heading still towards the ocean. They expect it to cross the emergency access road, which could make it much more easily accessible at that point IF conditions permit for them to allow people to approach it very closely (sulfuric fumes are toxic after all)

Not sure when you will be visiting. Things can change very quickly with the volcano!

~Katy

• 4 weeks later...