Barcelona port transportation

mom+3boys

I'm a first timer on Cruisecritic....hopefully this is where I need to be to get a couple of questions answered. We will be sailing in the Royal in June. We will end our cruise in Barcelona Spain and will be staying at the Hotel Colon for 3 nights. What will be the best way to get from the port to the hotel for 6 people and 12 pieces of luggage? My next question is.....we have booked a 10am tour on the morning of arrival so we need to be at the hotel no later then 8:45 to drop off luggage and to let them know we have arrived. Who would we talk to on the ship about getting off early enough to get to the hotel and then to the tour on time?

During the cruise a form will appear in your cabin where you can let them know what your flight times and the optimal time for your disembarkation. then a day or two before the cruise ends you will be given written instructions and luggage tags for your assigned time. If you don't like the time - they will let you know where to go to change it - I recommend doing this as soon as possible - NOT the last minute....due to crowds. Generally walk offs are usually the earliest BUT you have to take your own luggage.

I'm possibly on the same cruise as I'm disembarking in Barcelona on the 25th. Am meeting a tour group at the pier and they will watch my luggage and drop me off at my hotel. You might want to check with your tour to see if they provide this service. Might make it easier on you.

Good call on cruise critic - you'll get lots and lots of info

Thanks Corinda! This will be super helpful.....and yes we are on the same cruise! Unfortunately our tour starts up at Park Guell and we have to get ourselves there so I still hope to get some feed back on the best way to get to the hotel with so many people and tons of luggage! Hope to meet you at some point on the ship....thank you again!

Barcelona is a very busy cruise pier, off times there are five ships in port.

That being said, the only way that you could get off and get a taxi and get to your hotel by 08:45, would be to take the early walk off and get a taxis. For taxis you will have to take at least two taxis as they are small. Unless, you luck out and get a suv it probably will be three taxis. You will be charged for each case in addition to you fare. The que at the taxi stand moves fast. On our cruise on the Royal everyone was late getting off, some not until 11:00.

If you do a walk off, you will have to handle your own cases.

Thanks Corinda! This will be super helpful.....and yes we are on the same cruise! Unfortunately our tour starts up at Park Guell and we have to get ourselves there so I still hope to get some feed back on the best way to get to the hotel with so many people and tons of luggage! Hope to meet you at some point on the ship....thank you again!

Wish I could be more help re transportation - have you checked on the roll call? Did you check tripAdvisor

Looking forward to being on the cruise - hope to meet you - if you see a chubby blond wearing a tiara....That's me!

We have used suntransfers at Barcelona (and other places) with a lot of success. You can book a larger vehicle in advance. I am pretty sure they will pick up at the cruise port and take you to your hotel although they are advertised as an airport pickup service. We have had them pick us up at the cruise port before.

http://www.suntransfers.com/?gclid=CLbv6--65MwCFYkCaQodVm0OhA#?passengers=2&direction=1&legs=2

They have a minibus option which might work for you.

We were on the TA and departed in Barcelona..........looks like you will arrive there at 5 AM........you should be able to do early disembark as we were scheduled to be off by 7:30 AM and switched to 8:15 and were off shortly thereafter.

There are plenty of taxis to take you to hotel. Looks like you might need 2. They charge extra for luggage.

You will have to go through passport control and then get your luggage. That did not take us long. Find your taxi and head to hotel , where they can hold your luggage. I would ask taxi to wait and then take you to Park Guell or get situated at hotel and arrange for another taxi.

Have you looked on line to see if there is a service available that would be able to accommodate 6 people and 12 pc of luggage. They could meet you at port and drive you to hotel and to meet tour.

You could make arrangements in advance and the email specific time once you get disembark info from ship.

Hope this helps.

As stated by others you will need to discuss with Princess about being off the ship very early. I agree that you will likely have to carry your own luggage.

Barcelona is indeed a busy port and there is generally a line up for taxis and buses. You might think about trying to arrange private transportation.

Not trying to be negative but personally I think you are pushing the envelope with your projected timeline. If there are any delays ( disembarkation or at your hotel lobby or arranging transportation to Park Guell) you could well miss your tour. Could you not put your tour back a day and give yourself more time. There's no shortage of things to do during your first day in Barcelona. Good luck

I've cruised in and out of Barcelona several times. The others are right--you need a private transfer service that can pick you up at your specified time. Our experience with Customs and Immigration in the cruise terminal has been uniformly good--minimal lines there. The lines were always while waiting for a taxi. ANY form of transport other than a taxi is good. We have waited a full hour for a taxi as they limit the number allowed into the terminal area and the demand for them was high.

I'm also with the above poster who suggested that you can have them take you to the hotel and wait for 10 minutes while you check in, then take you to meet your tour group.

You are going to need to be off the ship as soon as they open the doors. That's usually 7:30. Is there any chance that the ship is arriving at Barcelona the night before? We had this happen once--made it very easy for disembarkation.

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions!! This is so fun!! I should have signed up for Critics long ago....I will probably look for private pick up and keep fingers crossed that we get to Park Guell on time. I am told that the Park is 1 1/2 miles from our hotel so it should be a quick trip once we drop off bags....thanks again for all the feed back!

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions!! This is so fun!! I should have signed up for Critics long ago....I will probably look for private pick up and keep fingers crossed that we get to Park Guell on time. I am told that the Park is 1 1/2 miles from our hotel so it should be a quick trip once we drop off bags....thanks again for all the feed back!

Have you verified with your hotel that they will allow you to drop off bags before the check in time? And whether or not they will charge for this service? I don't want to be "that person," but European hotels are different than US hotels in many ways.

I'm a first timer on Cruisecritic....hopefully this is where I need to be to get a couple of questions answered. We will be sailing in the Royal in June. We will end our cruise in Barcelona Spain and will be staying at the Hotel Colon for 3 nights. What will be the best way to get from the port to the hotel for 6 people and 12 pieces of luggage? My next question is.....we have booked a 10am tour on the morning of arrival so we need to be at the hotel no later then 8:45 to drop off luggage and to let them know we have arrived. Who would we talk to on the ship about getting off early enough to get to the hotel and then to the tour on time?

https://barcelonadaytours.com/tour-from-airport/

https://barcelonadaytours.com/guided-transfers/

In oct we had Prearranged a half-day tour with Barcelona Day Tours.

Their van accommodated several people and we had to let them know in advance how many people and how much luggage, and their earliest pickup was at approx 9:30, from there we left the port, went to a couple hotels, picked up more peole, then went off on our tour. They then brought us back to our hotel at approx 2:30-3:00 so that we could check in.

Not sure what tour you've planned or if you've already paid in advance, but I can't recommend BDT enough! It was the way to go, and if they should still have availability, it would suit your large party perfectly. Oh, everyone was off the ship. By 8:00 and we stragglers were actually kicked out of the terminal by 8:30. Much earlier disembarkment In BARCELONA than other ports we've been to.

I notice you are gong to park Guell BDT also offers a tour to Park Guell

As an aside. There were plenty of taxis lined up at the port. There was a bit of a line but everything moved efficiently from what we could see, and we were out there for around an hour to observe all the activity

Most cabs were Toyota Prius, so space is limited, so I would recommend 3 taxis if that is what you decide on.

It was so nice having the tour company store our luggage in the van while we toured, too. Just make sure you remember to secure your valuables such as iPads, or just take them with you in a tote bag as we did

Edited by 4cats4me

Have you verified with your hotel that they will allow you to drop off bags before the check in time? And whether or not they will charge for this service? I don't want to be "that person' date='" but European hotels are different than US hotels in many ways.[/quote']

Hotel Colon is very good about storing luggage. On our last cruise our CC friends stayed there for two nights, then stored their big luggage with Hotel Colon for several days while they went to Paris, and then checked into the Colon again upon their return. That is one of the great things about Hotel Colon, so I doubt they'll have an issue with the OP checking in early.

As stated by others you will need to discuss with Princess about being off the ship very early. I agree that you will likely have to carry your own luggage.

Barcelona is indeed a busy port and there is generally a line up for taxis and buses. You might think about trying to arrange private transportation.

Not trying to be negative but personally I think you are pushing the envelope with your projected timeline. If there are any delays ( disembarkation or at your hotel lobby or arranging transportation to Park Guell) you could well miss your tour. Could you not put your tour back a day and give yourself more time. There's no shortage of things to do during your first day in Barcelona. Good luck

OP - the above seems like an extremely prescient response and I would have replied similarly. At the very least, you are going to need a fair amount of luck on your side if you should wish to keep your plans as is. You'll be in for a fair amount of drama even if you were solo (we were in and out of Barcelona ourselves last Summer on the Emerald), let alone with children who may not be able to handle some reasonable disappointments as graciously as yourself. Beyond that, I wish you all the best and hope all your stars align that morning, but it'd be wise to think of backup or modifying options.

What did you think of Hotel Colon? How was your room? I messed up when I booked.....thought that I had booked a Cathedral view but it was a Superior Double and no view. They are fully booked now and they are unable to change it for me. Also......is it a good area to be in? Close to most things? Good for walking and good food places?

Watch out for the pick pockets, they are everywhere.