Local Artisan Suggestions?

DiverDavid

I am looking for the same things - the only ideas I have been able to come up with are local pottery (which does not like the cold)

I also read somewhere that Redcliffe Quay is a shopping area that has some interesting shops. I believe including The Goldsmitty that I have read about on this board.

Anyone able to fill in the gaps for us? Thanks. Jan

I also posted on San Juan thread.... here is info from my Frommers :D

Redcliffe Quay is to your right as you pass thru customs, and was a slave trading and warehouse district before abolition. Renovated it now contains interesting specialty shops such as :

Jacaranda - on Redcliffe Street (in Redcliffe Quay) sells spices and Caribbean art ( ohhhh gotta check that one out)

The Goldsmitty also on Redcliffe Street - handmade gold jewelry and

The Map Shop - on St. Mary's Street - sells old and new map prints, sea charts and caribbean literature. (Could be interesting) I was thinking of an old map of Antigua decoupaged onto a neat box for the coffee table.

On the cruise dock is Heritage Quay with 40 run-of-the-mill shops and a vendors hall. "

Jan in Maine; another item mentioned is duty free English woolens (good for Maine !!) and linens as well as local pottery, straw work and the always present rum !!!!

Have fun shopping -- Ii know I will

Texancruser - will you also be in Antigua on your cruise next month? If so let me know what interesting places you find. Will you be in St. Martin or St. Thomas? Looking for interesting ideas there too. We will be taking a tour with Lawrence while we are there. Linens and woolens sound good too. Jan

Jan: Yes we will be leaving San Juan 11/26 and then to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia and finally Barbados.

I will post a short note on each island when I get back.... will title it "Shopping Ideas" ??? This thread will probably be long gone by then.

Will be back late Dec. 3 so will try to get to it sometime that next week.

Thank you all, especially Antiguan! I love watercolor paintings and am always looking for something easy to carry home. It's even better if I can meet the artist in person. That new shop looks very intriging. I am also going to be on the lookout for pottery by Nancy Nicholson. I saw photos in a magazine and really like what she does. If anyone knows where I can find her work, I'd appreciate hearing!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived