Tolls around Miami

tigercat

We will e driving from Canada down to Miami for a cruise. Last cruise we were in Ft. Lauderdale and rented a car. We paid cash for all the tolls. However, someone said something about having to have a sun pass? for the tolls around Miami. What is this and how do you get it?

tigercat

Hi there Tigercat. We will be doing a similar drive in December from Ontario down to Miami.

I don't know about the tolls there but when we were in Richmond,Virginia a couple of years ago I accidentally drove through the camera recording toll gates rather than the actual physical gates where you pay cash. The next day I called the company that manages the toll booths as I didnt want to get stuck with a $500 fine for going the wrong way. I gave them my credit card info and about 3 months later a 76 cents charge appeared on my bill.

For a U.S. state to send you a bill I think they would have to have a reciprocal agreement with Canada to have access to your plate info. From what I know its only the U.S. states along our border that have that agreement. So I'm not exactly sure how they would be able to bill you. Then again, Florida has a high concentration of Canadians throughout the winter months so maybe they do have such an agreement.'

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_paytoll.cfm

And after typing all that I went to the website and it looks like they also have pay as you go tolls along with the passes. So you should be ok

We will e driving from Canada down to Miami for a cruise. Last cruise we were in Ft. Lauderdale and rented a car. We paid cash for all the tolls. However, someone said something about having to have a sun pass for the tolls around Miami. What is this and how do you get it?

tigercat

When you get to Florida stop at an oasis on the turnpike or at a Walgreens or CVS where you can buy a Sunpass for $4.99. It attaches to your windshield, you set up an account with your credit card online...that's it. Wherever you drive in Florida after that, if there is a toll, your Sunpass will be read and your account charged. No sending of a bill to Canada or anywhere.

Note: You may be able to get a Sunpass in the Mail and have all of this done before you leave home.

Also, there are two types of Sunpass. The one-time Sunpass referenced above. It attaches to your windshield and is not intended to be moved to a different vehicle (what can you expect for $5.? )

And the portable Sunpass, which attaches to your windshield by suction cups. It can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. The last I knew, it cost about $25.00.

Both types function the same and interact with your online account.

I think the technology is amazing....there are toll stations on the turnpike where traffic, traveling at 70 mph, flies past the sensors and never know they did so. All that happens is that your account is charged for that section of toll road.

More detailed information is here. http://www.sunpass.com