Can only buy 1 carton cigarettes onboard without getting letter to meet customs

Just got back from Bermuda cruise on Carnival Ecstasy (May 12-19-16). On the last morning of our cruise I had letter stuck under door to meet that stated "the purchases you made onboard have exceeded the US customs allowance for cigarettes and alcohol. The duty free allowance for the US is 1 liter of alcohol and 1 carton of cigarettes per person over the age of 21. Therefore you will be required to meet a CBP officer in the Neon Piano bar, Atlantic deck 8 at 10:30AM ( our cruise was 4 hours late coming to port due to weather so didnt arrive till 10AM) Please take your completed custom form with you."

The line was LONG and almost everyone I spoke with was there due to cigarettes. It was cheaper to buy the package of 4 cartons for $111.00 and so most did this. I have done this in the past and have had no problem as it is 4 adults that travel with us so I bought this with sign and sail card and like always would just tell customs that there is 4 of us and 1 carton per person NOT ANYMORE can you do this. I was NOT trying to buy more than one per adult but since all on my card you have to go through this hassle. You will have to wait in slow and long line to tell customs this and since it was 4 in our group I did NOT have to pay more like so many did and he wrote duty waived on my customs form and I got to leave and go to room and get suitcase to get off ship. As you leave the ship and they swipe your card IF you got letter it will be LOUD beep sound and I had to show where mine was waived. So you cannot act like you didnt get letter and try to get off cause alarm will go off. Then i get through the line departing the building and have to show passport as always do and the customs agent asked me "why did they waive yours" I told him i bought 4 cartons of cigarettes and there were 4 of us traveling together and he said where are the other 2 people and I said right behind you and he said ok.

SO just letting you know if you choose to buy 4 cartons for cheaper price just NOTE you will have to wait in line and explain reason to customs before you can leave ship. So of course I held up our group on departing ship due to line. I attached picture of letter I received on last morning of cruise.

From talking to everyone who most were veteran cruisers this was first time for the ones I talked to that we had to do this so from now on I will only buy ONE carton of cigarettes even at higher price (but cheaper than on land) to avoid having to wait and wait

1658226244_dutyfreeletter.jpg.58f53beb5bfc85ac39e8bd163515661c.jpg

Edited by ncarolina111

Wow I have never saw this before and I usually bring back more than the allotted 1 liter of alcohol...I wonder is carnival purposely trying to stop people from buy alcohol from their shops?.... First they change the pickup process now this!

Do you think it had anything to do with going to Bermuda vs the Caribbean?

I have family that smokes and they always buy them. Perhaps if this becomes Carnival's regular policy, then people should stop buying on the ship and wait until they pull into port. Still cheaper than back in the states from what I understand.

Wow I have never saw this before and I usually bring back more than the allotted 1 liter of alcohol...I wonder is carnival purposely trying to stop people from buy alcohol from their shops?.... First they change the pickup process now this!

I don't think you can blame this one on Carnival. Sounds like a new policy or just a crackdown from CBP.

Back when I was younger we always went over our alcohol limit I always claimed it but was never charged extra. Uncle Sam may have decided to collect the taxes owed to him?

I wonder if it had anything to do with the home port? The Carolina's rely heavily on tobacco sales to support their economy. Maybe state leaders asked for the duty collection to discourage cigarette sales?

Edited by Frank12

The allotment has always been as stated.

What sounds new is the providing of notice in advance of (or along with) the customs declaration form and the ability to substantiate the per-person distribution of total purchases before getting off the ship.

Clearly the intent is to force compliance with customs declaration. It's pretty much on the honor system they way it stands now.

As Carnival knows that you, at a minimum, have purchased an amount that could draw attention to customs if not properly declared they are trying to work in concert with land agents to force people to fess up.

I see this as a positive rather than a negative (except for another line to wait in).

Do you think it had anything to do with going to Bermuda vs the Caribbean?

I have family that smokes and they always buy them. Perhaps if this becomes Carnival's regular policy, then people should stop buying on the ship and wait until they pull into port. Still cheaper than back in the states from what I understand.

You still have to fully declare what you purchased outside the US (whether in a foreign port or on the ship).

Edited by StolidCruiser

I attached a picture of price of cigarettes on Carnival Ecstasy vs price in Bermuda. Huge difference. I know in Mexico I can get cigarettes cheap like onboard so from now on will buy in ports with good prices definitely not in Bermuda ha ha. Bermuda was GORGEOUS just everything cost more. $99,95 for one carton cigarettes in Bermuda vs $111.00 for 4 cartons on ship (or 2 cartons for $66.00 BUT you would still have to go through customs for 2) Cant remember what one carton cost on ship.

398929839_CigarettePricesonboardCarnivalEcstasyMay2016.jpg.f95ce2afdf111f8f82215c20a0458ad6.jpg

1685307635_CigarettepricesBermudaMay2016.jpg.22f0405cdd36e111e5766efde7219eb9.jpg

The allotment has always been as stated.

What sounds new is the providing of notice in advance of (or along with) the customs declaration form and the ability to substantiate the per-person distribution of total purchases before getting off the ship.

Clearly the intent is to force compliance with customs declaration. It's pretty much on the honor system they way it stands now.

As Carnival knows that you, at a minimum, have purchased an amount that could draw attention to customs if not properly declared they are trying to work in concert with land agents to force people to fess up.

I see this as a positive rather than a negative (except for another line to wait in).

You still have to fully declare what you purchased outside the US (whether in a foreign port or on the ship).

I am well aware that you have to declare what you purchase. I however would not be a fan of having to report to an additional line and being "tattled on" by the cruise line.

Good thing I don't smoke or buy booze.

More likely increased enforcement by Customs.

I am well aware that you have to declare what you purchase. I however would not be a fan of having to report to an additional line and being "tattled on" by the cruise line.

Good thing I don't smoke or buy booze.

Such is the price one pays for their vices and the likelihood of failure to declare.

I don't smoke, so this is irrelevant for me...BUT...

What if someone embarked on a 7-day cruise on Sunday and purchased a carton once the shops opened? And they purchased another on Tuesday. And another on Thursday. And Saturday. Granted, it would be more than $111, but I wonder if that would be reported.

There were 2 of them BUT only one sitting down at table where you had to go explain yourself and the other one was walking through the lines asking why you got letter and getting your name to check off.He kept saying going by honor system BUT since sign and sail card had your purchase then you had to wait cause that was proof enough you did purchase over limit. Lots of angry people in line cause cruise was already 4 hours late due to weather then having to wait in this line. But I was ok with cruise being 4 hours late didnt have to rush early in AM since we were taking our luggage off. Just hate i held up our 4 people due to this line and procedure. Lesson learned for future cruises though, this will NEVER happen again by me.

We got off the Glory in Miami three weeks ago. I contemplated buying cigarettes from the Fun Shop but ended up buying them in a port (St Thomas). At the store in St Thomas the clerk told us we could purchase 10 cartons duty free. We ended up buying 8. Brought them back on the ship in shopping bags and no one said anything. Claimed all 8 on our Customs form and agent didn't bat an eye. Is this something that happened because they were purchased on the ship? Being in international waters they are considered "imported" but St Thomas being a US Territory they aren't "imported"? Not sure exactly but really glad we skipped the Fun Shop!!!

It looks like the alcohol limit was due to the cruise going to Bermuda. It's the same restriction for cigarettes to other destinations.

Duty-Free Allowance for U.S Residents: Ship itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands: St Thomas; St Croix; St John

• $1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent. Note: of the $1600, no more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board.
  • 5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older). Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • 1 carton of cigarettes (18 years or older).
  • 100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

It looks like the alcohol limit was due to the cruise going to Bermuda. It's the same restriction for cigarettes to other destinations.

Duty-Free Allowance for U.S Residents: Ship itineraries that include any of U.S Virgin Islands: St Thomas; St Croix; St John

• $1600 (retail) of duty-free purchases per person may be spent. Note: of the $1600, no more than $800 can be purchased outside the U.S. Virgin Islands or on board.
  • 5 liters of alcohol per person (21 years or older). Note: 1 liter of alcohol must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • 1 carton of cigarettes (18 years or older).
  • 100 non-Cuban cigars (18 years or older).

We are going to St. Thomas on our next cruise. What you're saying is if we go ashore in another port to buy a minimal amount of alcohol (about a liter), we'd also have to buy a liter in St. Thomas as well?

We are going to St. Thomas on our next cruise. What you're saying is if we go ashore in another port to buy a minimal amount of alcohol (about a liter), we'd also have to buy a liter in St. Thomas as well?

You can bring one liter back regardless of what ports you went to. But if you bring back 2-5 liters, one must be a product of the USVI.

You can bring one liter back regardless of what ports you went to. But if you bring back 2-5 liters, one must be a product of the USVI.

Hmm. Have to remember if we buy a lot of rum in Puerto Rico, that we have to make a pit stop in St. Thomas. At least that's our last port-of-call. Thanks.

Just buy tobacco in port and not on the ship (if you're exceeding the allowed limits) Prices are about the same. Just be sure to ask if the smokes are "American made" The Virgin Islands and Mexico are normally american made, but on many of the other islands it's hit or miss and there is a difference. If they seem extra cheap..... than they are probably not US made

Just buy tobacco in port and not on the ship (if you're exceeding the allowed limits) Prices are about the same. Just be sure to ask if the smokes are "American made" The Virgin Islands and Mexico are normally american made, but on many of the other islands it's hit or miss and there is a difference. If they seem extra cheap..... than they are probably not US made

not necessarily true. pall mall bole in st thomas was 29 per carton and only 20 per carton on the ship.