Had anyone done the Yukon expedition and white pass scenic railway?

azbeachbum2016

Google Dyea Dave - we LOVED his tour and we were able to choose the train either morning or afternoon. He suggested afternoon for train as there is a lot of fog in the morning and the views are not as good. He picked our group up at the pier, took us by the train station to buy tickets and then we were off to the Yukon. He was great about getting into the best spots to take pics before the huge Princess bus was there. We ate at the cutest cafe that served homemade soup sandwiches and pie! One of the best tours we have ever taken and cheaper than Princess!

We did it with Chilkoot. They have several variations which go to Emerald Lake (further than the railway roundtrip). Highly recommended.

Another vote for Chilkoot. The Yukon portion, though a bit long, was fantastic. STRONGLY support this tour.

azbeachbum2016 we booked through Princess. Our tour description said we would be riding the bus up, train down. I was happy we booked through Princess because the tour ended just 15 minutes before All Aboard. Two passengers didn't make it back in time from whatever they were up to.

Thanks shredie! In the picture of our second bear spotting, there is a man outside of his vehicle trying to get a better shot of the nearby cubs. :eek:

Mother bear with cubs. Man "trying to get a better shot". Moron. I have seen graphic pictures of people that were mauled by mother bears because they perceived someone as a threat to their cubs.

For the OP: I have taken the train ride but that's it. My son went with us on our first cruise and he paid for all of the excursions and this one was available for wheelchair users. We loved it. If you have the financial wherewithal to do the train plus the extra excursion I would suggest that you do so. Given the accounts of the other posters here I wish we had been able to do so but I am truly grateful we were able to do the train and that my son was able to do so as well. One never knows what life holds in store...

Enjoy your cruise and, whatever excursions you decide to do, I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

(SF/Alaska on Sea Princess was our first cruise - in 2011 - and it totally hooked us on cruising.)

We are trying to choose our excursion on our Alaska cruise in September. One of the things we are looking at doing is the 8hour tour Yukon expedition and white pass scenic railway. We ride the bus up have lunch and shop and then take the train back down. Have you done this? Is it worth the $200? Or should we do the train only white pass scenic railway which is 3.5 hours and we never get off the train. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just did this excursion about three weeks ago. OUr order of events was train up the pass, then we boarded a coach into the Yukon for lunch and a stunning view of Emerald Lake. From there we rode the coach back down through some pretty amazing scenery. I felt that it was worth the price for my wife and I to take that tour as the views were spectacular and we had an awesome guide.