Leaving 16yrs olds on board

robinbird62

no one....so far.....has attempted to shame the op for anything. we are trying to show her from different points of view how that decision could impact her and her kids. but it sure seems like you are the one trying to shame people here who are giving her common sense answers.

btw, 2 months ago my fridge on the valor was chock full. i pulled 23 cans and bottles out of it to make way for my items and put their items back in the morning we left.

I said that based on my experience. Perhaps premature but I'm glad to be wrong. I asked a similar question on the family board a while ago and everyone skipped right over answering the question and went straight to answers like this: I would never ever leave my child onboard." "If you are going on a family vacation, why not do something everyone can enjoy. It was alot of berating the idea. It has been nice seeing some agreement as I am following the thread. And no I wasn't trying to shame anyone thank you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Exactly, I left my then 17 yo and 16 yo sons home for a week when DH and I wanted a vacation and they couldn't miss school. We were very close with our neighbors and I knew they would be fine. They had a wonderful week and we were informed upon our return that they were EXCELLENT while we were gone. Only a parent can decide what his/her children are capable of.

Good news about your 18 yo. Army basic training will take care of any immaturity he may have :)

It definitely will, he signed up over a year ago when he turned 17, so has been going to weekly PT training at the recruitment center while he finished out his senior year of high school. He's grown up a lot this past year and he will grow up a lot more over the next couple of months, it will be good for him. He definitely needs the structure to stay motivated, he's a bit too smart for his own good and tends to slack off because he gets bored and not apply himself if he's left on his own too much. He won't have to worry about that now :D

DH was also Army so tried to prepare him but I believe it will be a bit of a reality slap next week when Mom isn't there and he's thrown into the fray but he'll be fine. He's had more time to prepare for it than most do. Our friends daughter signed up for the Marines last week and she's gone tomorrow.

Actually, Carnival can still leave you. The only thing they guarantee is that they will get you back to the ship (even if it means flying you to the next port).

...d.

Actually, the words touted in Carnival's Excursion pages are "Peace of Mind

We take care of all the details and wait for all Carnival excursions to return before departing." Ken

Edited by Ken076

I had two kids who were trustworthy and mature. I had one who was "creative" and found rules and restrictions a nuisance. Two could have been left on board, one I wouldn't have risked even taking on a cruise.

Only you know your children! Do what's best for you and your family.

I would worry that they might get off the ship.

Kids do things that we would never believe that they would do.

Probably because they don't reason like an adult.

Well, most adults...

Unchaperoned in Turkey? :(

Edited by mzloolue

If you leave your child aboard...especially in the mid-teens...take their ship key with YOU...that way, they can't leave the ship on their own! Just a suggestion! Of course, they won't be able to charge anything, or get into the cabin..but they certainly won't be able to leave the ship....that's the important thing!

Edited by cb at sea

I definitely wouldn't take their room key. I heard it mentioned in another thread that you could set up their card so that an alarm goes off if they try and get off the ship. Do it at guest services.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

plus they could go to guest services and say they lost their cabin key and ask for a new one.

If you leave your child aboard...especially in the mid-teens...take their ship key with YOU...that way, they can't leave the ship on their own! Just a suggestion! Of course, they won't be able to charge anything, or get into the cabin..but they certainly won't be able to leave the ship....that's the important thing!

Just to make people aware, a child under the age of 18 is not supposed to be able to leave the ship without a parent or guardian. That being said, if security is not paying attention to who is around the child when they are being "dinged" off the ship, they may not realize that they are unsupervised.

It definitely will, he signed up over a year ago when he turned 17, so has been going to weekly PT training at the recruitment center while he finished out his senior year of high school. He's grown up a lot this past year and he will grow up a lot more over the next couple of months, it will be good for him. He definitely needs the structure to stay motivated, he's a bit too smart for his own good and tends to slack off because he gets bored and not apply himself if he's left on his own too much. He won't have to worry about that now :D

DH was also Army so tried to prepare him but I believe it will be a bit of a reality slap next week when Mom isn't there and he's thrown into the fray but he'll be fine. He's had more time to prepare for it than most do. Our friends daughter signed up for the Marines last week and she's gone tomorrow.

Tell your son good luck for me and "Thank You" for his soon to be service. We are a very military family, so I can appreciate what he is embarking on.

One piece of advice, which I don't know if anyone has given him, don't be the best or worst at ANYTHING. Either end of the spectrum will just draw attention to him and make him a target from the DI. BTW, you'll be AMAZED at the change in his demeanor when he gets home from training :)

Yes, you can leave them on the ship. I would check with the friend's parents to make sure that they are OK with you leaving their daughter on the ship. I do wonder why you would want to go on a cruise as a family group and not tour together or go someplace where 1/2 of your group does not want to go. My 25-year-old DD still loves to travel with us (especially since we pay for a lot of it!) but we plan things that all of us will enjoy and want to do. It is YOUR vacation though so you will do what you think is best. I hope that all of you enjoy your trip.

Good news about your 18 yo. Army basic training will take care of any immaturity he may have :)

Totally off topic but my 25-year-old did the same, but when at home I wouldn't trust him to remember to feed the cat...my 21-year-old, however, is completely different and totally responsible. Only a parent knows how mature his/her children are in this situation.