White Cliffs of Dover

sockmonkeys

They are definitely white. Sailed from there on DCL. It is a really nice port. There's not a lot to do in the town other than the castle (which is worth seeing), but then my daughter thought that the drunk guy hitting on me in the pub was hysterical. Really a nice little town.

There was a sign up at the port specifically stating that tips were not expected and would not be accepted by the baggage handlers! Only time I've ever seen that.

While we have not cruised out of Dover we have taken the hydrofoil/car ferry from Calais to Dover and then the reverse Dover to Calais and am 99% sure the cruises leave from the same port area as the hydrofoil/car ferries. With that being said, as long as it is daylight out you should be able to see the cliffs.

You could almost hear Vera Lynn singing they were so magnificent.

Hard to miss when you cruise in or out of that port. If you can get to the port early (or even a day early), visiting Dover Castle is well worth it :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

There are also some walking tracks above the white cliff, to the east of the port. There's a National Trust visitor centre there. It's worth a visit. Also it's fascinating to stand up there and watch the traffic, both marine and vehicular, moving in and out of the port.