Would you keep luggage in your cabin that doesn't belong to you?

Keys2Heaven

Someone reported a luggage situation a couple of years ago here on CC.

Two friends (both women) were cruising together. They brought in the luggage delivered to their cabin door. They unpacked but one small suitcase was not.

Several days later one ask the other if she was going to need to unpack her other suitcase. Her friend said that it wasn't hers so assumed it belonged to her friend.

Seems they both thought it belonged to each other. :o

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm thinking. Why does everyone have to think it was someone doing this on purpose?

I always think how I would feel if the shoe is on the other foot. No I would not keep it. They are on their cruise like I am and want to enjoy it like we would. There are clothes and possibly medicine in that luggage. Turn it in to guest services. The way I look at it, I did the right thing by turning into the right people. Now the ball is on their court to do the right thing. do unto others as you would want them to do unto you

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm thinking. Why does everyone have to think it was someone doing this on purpose?

I don't buy that this was the case at all.

And the two women weren't very on top of it to only notice a few days later.

10 days? I wouldn't keep it for 10 minutes! It can be very frustrating to be missing a bag; I'd want it to go to the right person and hope if the situation was reversed my bags would get to me promptly.

Happened to us. Back in 2009 we were going on a Canada/New England Cruise. Because we were not flying, and had our luggage with us at all times I didn't bother with my usual mixing up mine & DH's clothes "Just in case." We get to the pier, I hand over both our bags (Tip well), and my husband's suitcase doesn't show up! I had some clean underwear for him, but his coat, formal wear, etc. were in the missing bag. To make matters worse, DH is 6'8", nothing on board was going to fit. Suitcase finally shows up on day 3. It had been delivered to the wrong stateroom, and the occupants didn't bother to report it until they needed the space!!! Princess gave us some OBC (That I didn't ask for) for our inconvenience, but I am amazed that someone had a suitcase that they knew wasn't theirs, but were too lazy to even mention it to their room steward.

I remember I read a story like this a few years back. Mom/dad in one cabin, kids in the other. The mom comes in the cabin next to last day of cruise and notices a piece of luggage stuffed under the bed or something like that. Asks whose it is, the kids just shrugged and said we don't know we just stuck it there on the first day. I'm sure this happens enough that it isn't a unique situation. Someone just pushes the luggage aside to deal with it later or forgets about it. Makes ya wonder about people sometimes.

but I am amazed that someone had a suitcase that they knew wasn't theirs, but were too lazy to even mention it to their room steward.

Sadly, so many people are clueless :eek:

Have you ever watched one of those man-on-the-street "ask those who pass by some simple & generic questions" segments ?

Every time I watch one of those I cringe.

I always think how I would feel if the shoe is on the other foot. No I would not keep it. They are on their cruise like I am and want to enjoy it like we would. There are clothes and possibly medicine in that luggage. Turn it in to guest services. The way I look at it, I did the right thing by turning into the right people. Now the ball is on their court to do the right thing. do unto others as you would want them to do unto you

And that's why you're advised to put medication or anything important in your carry on.

Is it really possible that someone could be that stupid/lazy/inconsiderate???? Good grief - I would ring the room steward as soon as I saw it and have it taken to their cabin. (Or lost and found if the tag wasn't on it). Sorry if that happened to you! People suck at times! :mad:

Years ago I booked a cruise last moment (on the day before the cruise, actually) and when I got to the port I had been upgraded to an Ocean View from an inside. However, I had to go through the entire embarkation process up to the sign'n'sail pic and card using someone else's documents with their name scratched out and mine handwritten in. My luggage didn't come for quite some time and just "for the hell of it" I went to the original cabin I was assigned to and SURE ENOUGH, there it was ! Apparently the baggage handlers hadn't received the memo. :)

The letters that get sent around can be interesting in what is inside. Once we read that the missing case had a printer in it. Why would you bring a printer on a cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I had this happen on our cruise in April. We had steak house reservations the first night. Come 6:00 pm and my suit case still had not been delivered. I went to guest services and looked through the pile of luggage with missing tags. No luck. I went to guest services and reported it missing. About a half hour later I get off the elevator and there is my suit case sitting in the hallway. There was a lady standing in the open doorway of a nearby cabin. She apologized. Our luggage was similar and she grabbed it by mistake. She was looking for the room Stewart to tell them. I wasn't really mad at her, it was an honest mistake. My suit case was a pewter grey color with a floral pattern on it. I have seen a similar looking case a couple of times, but it is rare. What are the odds? This is the first time I have ever had to deal we missing luggage. I was just glad to get it back.

On a recent cruise they sent around a picture of someones suitcase that went missing.

Turned out some moron just stuffed it under their bed without considering someone on the ship might be looking for their stuff.

Let's be honest, they DID consider it, and for some unknown, selfish, downright mean reason, they decided to seriously screw with someone they didn't know and probably never met. Hopefully they'll get theirs. JMO.

Saw a FB post by Mr. Heald that read like this:

I was taken aback when I read this. You mean to tell me that there are people who would actually keep someone else's luggage for nearly the entire cruise before turning in to guest services?

Question to all of you: Have you ever experienced this or have you, in fact, held onto another guest's luggage for the entire trip before turning it in? Do you think that Carnival should be allowed to assess a "finder's fee" for luggage being held in another person's cabin for this period of time?

Don't you realize most of the stuff on that page is made up or recycled? Same as his act.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, could it have been a cabin of 5 friends, each thinking that the piece of luggage belong to one of the other friends. If it's a cabin of friends, it seems plausible they wouldn't know what each others bags looks like.

This is what I was thinking too. I cannot imagine purposefully depriving somebody of their possessions and can't understand why somebody would want an extra suitcase in their cabin.

If it was me, who received the "wrong" luggage, this is what I would do. First, if it was delivered to my cabin, it must have had some kind of number on it, I don't think the stewards just put luggage in the rooms without checking the room number and name. If for some reason the name and/or number was obscured, it might belong to a nearby cabin or check the deck name, might be right cabin number, wrong deck. Is there a luggage tag with personal info on it. Is it locked or unlocked. If unlocked, I would open it to check for any ID inside. Locked, no ID, off to GS it goes. I always put a spare ship luggage tag inside my luggage, just in case the outer one gets torn off.

These days, people in general and here on CC in particular, seem to take great pleasure in thinking the worst about each other.

I've seen "alerts" put out by guest services asking if anyone has seen a certain piece of "misplaced "luggage. There's usually a description and a poorly copied illustration of what that luggage might look like. These alerts usually came the 2nd or 3rd day of a cruise.

I always shake my head when I see them, because it seems silly to me that someone might keep an unknown piece of luggage in their cabin and not alert their steward or guest services about it.

This FB post doesn't say it was delivered to the wrong cabin, just that it wasn't theirs. Maybe I just give people the benefit of the doubt, but I think it was an honest mistake.

Lets say it was under the bed from the last cruise and they didnt notice it until they dropped something. That is completely reasonable. Odds are slim, but I think its crazy to jump to conclusions about it.

This is what I was thinking too. I cannot imagine purposefully depriving somebody of their possessions and can't understand why somebody would want an extra suitcase in their cabin.

Exactly - this happened to us on our very first cruise. Our garment bag with all of our dressy clothes for formal night went missing. Letters were put in everyone's cabin - nothing. GS checked with port of Tampa - nope nothing here.

On the next to the last night of the cruise I get a call from GS. The garment bag was delivered to a cabin of four early 20-somethings. Evidently each thought it belonged to one of the other three and didn't realize it until that night.

I can't believe anyone would just keep someone else's luggage for the heck of it. Did I want to strangle those girls - yes - especially considering GS sent letters out 2 times - you would think one of them might say "hmmm, wonder if that's the garment bag that's just been sitting here all week???" But I know they didn't do it just to be mean.