Electrical Outlets Carnival Dream Cove

The only outlets are by the desk. There is one USA style 110 volt outlet and one European style 220 volt outlet. If you need to plug in more than one thing at a time, you must bring a multi-plug adapter.

[ATTACH]386447[/ATTACH]

This is what we got. No cord, no surge protector, no problems.

Be aware that on some ships (I can't remember if the Dream is one) the outlet is so close to the wall that you can't use a horizontal adapter like that. You have to use a vertical adapter.

plug1.jpg.312272148894f6b9a8f1cc168a382a4f.jpg

That has a surge protector and is not allowed due to possible damage to the ships wiring. It may be confiscated as stated earlier in this thread.

So far, they have not removed it from my carryon bag. I'll keep bringing it until they stop me. We shall see.

So far, they have not removed it from my carryon bag. I'll keep bringing it until they stop me. We shall see.

The rule about no surge protectors is in place for a reason. They are a safety hazard for ships. So it's not about whether you can sneak one on or not. You should not be bringing one on the ship, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sticks and stones. Say what you want. A friend of mine has used that same multi-outlet for the last 10 years, over 40 cruises, and has had zero problems.

Have a nice day.

I thought so, too, until the night I got called out of the main dining room to meet with the ship's chief of security and the fire captain. It seems that my power strip with surge protector shorted out and caught fire in my cabin. After the stern lecture about the dangers of fires at sea, a new desk top being installed at our next port stop and the $300+ charge to my on-board account, I became a believer!

Sticks and stones. Say what you want. A friend of mine has used that same multi-outlet for the last 10 years, over 40 cruises, and has had zero problems.

Have a nice day.

tons of people chair hog. Tons of people smuggle alcohol. just because a friend of yours has used it without getting caught doesnt make it right.

bringing it on board knowing its dangerous and against the rules is the definition of self entitled.

Edited by hftmrock

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got done reading another thread about why surge protectors aren't allowed on cruise ships. One guy said he brought a surge protector, had all his electronic stuff plugged in, left his room for some activity, realized he forgot his sunglasses so went back to his room to find smoke coming out of his power strip with the surge protector. Thank goodness he forgot his sunglasses and went back within 15 minutes or so. He quickly unplugged the power strip and never again brought a power strip with the surge protector. It is very selfish and dangerous and just makes you look like a jerk when you act like "who cares".

I was sure that the whole "it's a safety hazard" thing was a story they made up so that they didn't have to upgrade their electrical system or something. But lo and behold it's a true thing. It really is dangerous and it can cause harm to the ship. Today I learned.

I guess I'll be bringing the one I have without any surge protection.

I was sure that the whole "it's a safety hazard" thing was a story they made up so that they didn't have to upgrade their electrical system or something. But lo and behold it's a true thing. It really is dangerous and it can cause harm to the ship. Today I learned.

I guess I'll be bringing the one I have without any surge protection.

Technical Evidence, finally. This I can follow. Not just because 'someone' said so.

Have a nice day.

Technical Evidence, finally. This I can follow. Not just because 'someone' said so.

Have a nice day.

Yes! This is why I went looking for either evidence or some sort of explanation why it's not dangerous. Welp, it's dangerous. Went out and got one with no surge protection so we can plug in a few things at once. Not as cool as the Belkin surge-protection one but at least it's not going to cause problems. Or get nicked.