How to Pick Rental Cars?

astridwilson

Picking up a rental Car form Thrifty at every port on Hawaii Cruise. Thrifty with a AAA discount was cheaper than Auto Slash.

My question is how do I get to the Thrifty offices to pick up the car and how do I get back to the ship upon return of the car?

Also, all car are from Airport with exception of Kona.

Maui (OGG)

Hilo (ITO)

Kona (KING KAMEHAMEHA HOTEL)

Kauai (LIH)

Also have a Car in Honolulu on last day as we are staying for 4 nights post cruise. I rented this one at the Airport as it was much cheaper than Waikiki and much cheaper then the cruise port.

Picking up a rental Car form Thrifty at every port on Hawaii Cruise. Thrifty with a AAA discount was cheaper than Auto Slash.

My question is how do I get to the Thrifty offices to pick up the car and how do I get back to the ship upon return of the car?

There will be shuttles from every rental agency inside the port to pick up passengers with reservations. Just look for signs directing you to this area when you get off the ship. Find the line for your company. It's a quick ride direct to your office. When you return the car, ride the shuttle back. Just make sure you ask what time the shuttle stops at night.

You probably already know this, but the hotel in Kona is a 5 minute or so walk from the tender docks.

Edited by punkincc

On Maui, are you coming ashore at Kahului or Lahaina? If at Lahaina, the OGG location is 45 minutes away, and no shuttle. There will be a Thrifty location on the West Maui side, probably just north of Lahaina- 10 or so minutes by cab.

• 2 weeks later...
We booked all ours through discount Hawaii car rental. Best idea about getting the car at King K hotel. It's more expensive, but a taxi to the airport will cost you $30 each way and wasted time getting there and back.

Did not rent a car in Kona, but I assumed that the airport locations sent the free shuttles to Kona like they do at all the other ports. If that's the case, a taxi would not be necessary. Perhaps someone who has rented at the airport can confirm whether or not there are shuttles. But as you said, the King K, which I think is a Courtyard Hotel now, would probably be the fastest option. Book early there as I believe they may have a limited number of cars.

Did not rent a car in Kona, but I assumed that the airport locations sent the free shuttles to Kona like they do at all the other ports. If that's the case, a taxi would not be necessary. Perhaps someone who has rented at the airport can confirm whether or not there are shuttles. But as you said, the King K, which I think is a Courtyard Hotel now, would probably be the fastest option. Book early there as I believe they may have a limited number of cars.

The person in front of us at the rental counter didn't realize he was at the wrong pick up place. He rented at Kona airport and was told he needed to take a taxi at $30 each way.

Also, all car are from Airport with exception of Kona.

Maui (OGG)

Hilo (ITO)

Kona (KING KAMEHAMEHA HOTEL)

Kauai (LIH)

Also have a Car in Honolulu on last day as we are staying for 4 nights post cruise. I rented this one at the Airport as it was much cheaper than Waikiki and much cheaper then the cruise port.

As mentioned, each of these will have shuttles at the port with the exception of Kona. Keep watching the prices on a regular basis as they do change. I was rebooking up to the last week on our last visit. Also book using your Blue Chip number. This will quicken the process for car pickup. Especially if you are using Thrifty post-cruise.

Other tips for saving a few $ is if your hotel post cruise is central Waikiki or Diamond Head area and parking is pricey, we parked at the public lot at the zoo and paid with a credit card. It was cheap like $1 an hr. If we were out all day and only needed overnight parking it worked out great. Our hotel was central and we just walked to and from. However, the free Trolley does stop nearby.

On Maui, are you coming ashore at Kahului or Lahaina? If at Lahaina, the OGG location is 45 minutes away, and no shuttle. There will be a Thrifty location on the West Maui side, probably just north of Lahaina- 10 or so minutes by cab.

Thrifty on the Lahaina side doesn't exist anymore as a FYI.