Cruising with toddlers

npeacemaker

I just booked a Norwegian cruise for 2017 for my family. It will be myself, husband, and twin boys (3 years old at time of sailing). We booked a Haven level suite to have added comforts and amenities to make the sailing enjoyable for all of us.

Now that we are booked my husband and I are going back and forth about maybe they are too young and we should re-book just for the two us. One one side, I'd really like to do a fun family vacation, but is cruising the way to go? If we re-book for just the two of us and do a 2nd honeymoon we plan to stay in the Haven level suites.

Can anyone advise if travelling with two 3 year olds is a good idea? Lots to do for kiddos? Anyone been through travelling with toddlers before and really loved it or hated it? Should we leave the kids at home this time and book something when they are closer to 5 years old? We are booked on the Breakaway.

I just booked a Norwegian cruise for 2017 for my family. It will be myself, husband, and twin boys (3 years old at time of sailing). We booked a Haven level suite to have added comforts and amenities to make the sailing enjoyable for all of us.

Now that we are booked my husband and I are going back and forth about maybe they are too young and we should re-book just for the two us. One one side, I'd really like to do a fun family vacation, but is cruising the way to go? If we re-book for just the two of us and do a 2nd honeymoon we plan to stay in the Haven level suites.

Can anyone advise if travelling with two 3 year olds is a good idea? Lots to do for kiddos? Anyone been through travelling with toddlers before and really loved it or hated it? Should we leave the kids at home this time and book something when they are closer to 5 years old? We are booked on the Breakaway.

Read some of the posts on the Family Forum. The people there have all cruised with children, some younger than three years old. Except for maybe the Escape, three years is too young for Kids Club so you are on your own for entertaining them. Lots of things to explore though.

As I said, read the posts on Family Forum and get good ideas there.

Thank you everyone!! I'm definitely leaning towards keeping it as a family vacation. I'm crossing my fingers in 16 months we will have potty training down and better table etiquette. Since the boys are only 22 months old now it's hard to say where they will be 16 months down the road. I deliberately booked so far in advance and a highest cabin level to get added perks. For example, NCL will allow us to embark and disembark first which I find to be a huge benefit with traveling with toddlers.

Since I am their primary caregiver I can say they aren't the most easy going kids but they do have each other as their parter in crime. It works as a pro and con. They always have a best friend but 2 minds are smarter than 1 and they can find trouble at any moment. We haven't vacationed before (well just one quick trip the beach at 9 months old), and we barely go to restaurants. Things are just a bit more difficult with multiples. These are all things we plan to work on (potty/restaurant etiquette) over the next 16 months. That way I'm not just throwing them into a cruise and expecting perfection. We can always plan a couple short getaways close to home before our 2017 cruise. Just to give them a warm up.

Our final payment is due the end of May 2017. We were told we can cancel at anytime and get our deposit back. In lieu of that, could we change the reservation to just my husband and I? I mean keep the price, perks, and same room just the two of us go. That is if at the end May 2017 we reaccess the boys and they are no where near potty trained, we have terrible table etiquette, mini vacations close to home have failed (just a few examples of what can happen). Comparing the price (we got a really good deal) it would only be about 200 bucks cheaper to rebook now for just the two of us. That is another reason I think all four should go (the price is right).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our daughter's first cruise was when she as 23 months of age. One month too young for Camp Carnival, but it was a three-day cruise so no problem for us having her with us. She was in training, so no pool for her (swim diapers aren't allowed). In fact, if you have any doubt about your boys ability at the time of your cruise, just keep them out of the pool (else, any accidents will result in the pool being required to be drained and shocked...and other passengers won't be too happy with you).

The one thing we did to prepare her was take her to a live kids' show (Blues Clues Live). She loved it so we tried her out for the show on the ship, albeit sitting in the back of the theater just in case we need to make a quick exit. She was fine. In fact, after performing in piano recitals and several plays, she's a better audience member than some adults.

The kids' program should have plenty of fun and age-appropriate activities (we avoid NCL as we love traditional dining so can't speak to that line).

Not familiar with NCL cabins. But, typically, when losing pax (4) in a cabin the cruise line might reassign you into a properly berthed cabin (2). Happens more often during high season than low season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I see many families sailing with their very young ones. What I would suggest is think back to when you were 3. Do you have any memories of that time? In my case, my memories of doing things with my family start around age 4 - going to Disneyland for the first time and Plymouth Rock and seeing the mock up of the Mayflower and Plymouth. Mainly it was just one day things back then. Prior to that, my memories are of falling down the stairs at home and vague memories of my dad growing vegetables, nothing real clear. So, with 3 year olds, I'm not sure that they will remember much of this trip. However, it may be more important to you and your husband to share this family time with them, even if they don't remember going on a ship when they were 3. There is a family cruising board here which will be of more help to you if you decide to bring your little boys:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

To me the negative side of NCL for 3 year olds is there is no babysitting. But in a suite, you can have your butler bring you any food you want from any restaurant onboard, so you will be able to have a nice dinner in your suite while your little ones sleep. Then you can retire to your bedroom and watch DVD's (or not.)

Not familiar with NCL cabins. But, typically, when losing pax (4) in a cabin the cruise line might reassign you into a properly berthed cabin (2). Happens more often during high season than low season.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

NCL won't do this.

JMHO - go it alone.

With work and the responsibilities of life and parenthood giving you and your husband little time to be the two of you, this will give you a time to reconnect and go back as fresher, more relaxed parents. Kids don't have the stress of multiple roles in life, worries about paying the bills etc. YOU need this time.

I started cruising with my daughter when she was 21 months old, so before she could be in the kids club. On NCL, I believe the kids' club starts at 3 years old so there would definitely be lots for them to do if they enjoy the club! I've also read there's an area in the kids' clubwhere parents can go in with their kids to play. I loved traveling with our daughter and it doesn't matter at all that she has no memory of it. Our family had fun, and we didn't start doing things together when she would have a memory of it--that's odd logic to me.

Your children will be totally spoiled on a cruise! The crew always paid extra attention to my daughter and she felt like a princess! For us, we did only family vacations. I never vacationed with out my daughter until a couple years ago, and she was 19 when I did my first solo cruise (her father and I are now divorced). I wouldn't have enjoyed vacations without her, but I know some people are fine leaving their kid in the care of others while they vacation. You just need to decide what you want this vacation to be and go with it. :D You asked if cruising is the way to go; personally, I find it to be much easier than a land vacation. When we cruised the first time, I was so happy to get a relaxing vacation for me, too! I'm the one who always did the planning and made sure everyone was where they needed to be when they needed to be there, and on a cruise, that is so easy! I've never once heard my daughter say she was bored on a cruise. :D

BTW, at three years old, they're no longer toddlers. They're toddlers now, but they won't be then. :D