Allure Star Class - first and maybe continuing impressions 5/29

Matt,

Question about in suite party: Did you use Bar Server, Bartender or Mixologist? Francesco, sent me what could be done and there was $200 hr rate difference from Bar Server to Mixologist. Just curious, I am leaning toward Mixologist (can be my splurge, since the wife will have her Spa Apts.) What was your experience?

We opted for the Bartender. The Bar Server would have to run back and forth to the SL and compete with the night time crowd in there. The Bartender comes with a basically full bar set up on a cart with premium alcohol, and a selection of beer and wine. You tell him if there are drink preferences since the cart can only hold so much. Of our 14 guests (including us) only a couple of us were drinkers, with a lot of beer and wine drinkers. And since I drink pretty simple stuff, a Mixologist would have been wasted on us.

I took that "savings" and booked my own spa appts :)

But if you have some people that appreciate the "foodie" drink experience, it's probably fun.

Hi Matt:

How far in advance of your cruise were you contacted by your Genie?

The questionnaire - which turned out to be really read by Francesco - came about a month before. At 14 days out someone else on board had received an email, and he shared that info with me. We had the same Genie. So I contacted Francesco a day later. It was just coordinating the pier arrival time and the Labadee Cabana that I was concerned about. I'm sure I would have received it before 7 days out. He was really responsive once we started communicating. But I truly would not worry about this - they do work their magic with all reservations. I can comfortably say I would walk on board with zero reserved and trust that the Genie could make it all happen. And I am a *total* pre-planner.

There we go... I am for sure NOT doing the Bar Server especially since we are in a ATS. I could only imagine the wait per drink. I am digging the idea of having a unique drink made that we can torture other bartenders with for the rest of the cruise. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Bdchili

Matt.....Thanks for the great review. It was a pleasure meeting you. Your pictures were absolutely gorgeous, way better than mine. I am glad you enjoyed the Allure. Thanks for your help on Roll Call. We had a great time as well, but I felt like there was just soooo much to do in 7 days, & I still didn't get everything done. Oh well I guess I will have to book her again. :):)

• 1 month later...

Matt - I'm late to the game but finally getting around to reading your review. Thanks so much for posting! We'll be in this same suite on the Harmony next April, so loved reading about your experiences with star class.

So it sounds like you waited until a week or so before your cruise to book your cabana on Labadee? I want a cabana but pretty much only B1 or B2 would work for us so DS can play in the sand and make water bucket runs while we sit in the cabana and watch him. Not sure the best way to go about getting one of those reserved ahead of time. Since you've been there, would you recommend one over the other? From pictures I've seen, I'd lean towards B2, the one you had.

Matt - I'm late to the game but finally getting around to reading your review. Thanks so much for posting! We'll be in this same suite on the Harmony next April, so loved reading about your experiences with star class.

So it sounds like you waited until a week or so before your cruise to book your cabana on Labadee? I want a cabana but pretty much only B1 or B2 would work for us so DS can play in the sand and make water bucket runs while we sit in the cabana and watch him. Not sure the best way to go about getting one of those reserved ahead of time. Since you've been there, would you recommend one over the other? From pictures I've seen, I'd lean towards B2, the one you had.

We almost always stay in 1720 and book through the concierge, but that has been pre-genie and Star Class. Matt can assist with this question.

We have a son who is now 9 and we always go with B2 but B1 is just as good for the same reason. Water, sand and a great view and he is steps away from the cabana.

The washrooms and lunch buffet are a bit further away but it is a nice location. It does cost more than the ones placed further back but IMO worth it. We in fact book the same one even when we are cruising without him. One word of advice, the beach edge drops quick so for your kids first trip out into the water you might want to watch extra careful.

We are sailing in 1724 on Harmony March 11 next year and I will be doing a live review. Keep you eyes open for it. From my last live review if you go to page 28 I feature Labadee and there are some views from cabana B2. In the review there are also some cabin hacks I posted for Matt as he was in the Cabin a few weeks after us. I know it will be a different cabin for you but some hacks work the same. Here is the link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327226&page=28

We will also in Labadee in August on Allure and doing a live review. I have cabana B2 booked already through the concierge. Not normally can you get it booked so far in advance but we have sailed with them 5 times in the last 1.5 years. I think they have a soft spot for us.;) This isn't the normal practice. We have upgraded our original CLS to the Star Class so this will be our first Genie experience.

If you would like some cabana pics posted of B1, B2 or others remind me during the live thread and I will get them for you.

Edited by A&L_Ont

We almost always stay in 1720 and book through the concierge, but that has been pre-genie and Star Class. Matt can assist with this question.

We have a son who is now 9 and we always go with B2 but B1 is just as good for the same reason. Water, sand and a great view and he is steps away from the cabana.

The washrooms and lunch buffet are a bit further away but it is a nice location. It does cost more than the ones placed further back but IMO worth it. We in fact book the same one even when we are cruising without him. One word of advice, the beach edge drops quick so for your kids first trip out into the water you might want to watch extra careful.

We are sailing in 1724 on Harmony March 11 next year and I will be doing a live review. Keep you eyes open for it. From my last live review if you go to page 28 I feature Labadee and there are some views from cabana B2. In the review there are also some cabin hacks I posted for Matt as he was in the Cabin a few weeks after us. I know it will be a different cabin for you but some hacks work the same. Here is the link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327226&page=28

We will also in Labadee in August on Allure and doing a live review. I have cabana B2 booked already through the concierge. Not normally can you get it booked so far in advance but we have sailed with them 5 times in the last 1.5 years. I think they have a soft spot for us.;) This isn't the normal practice. We have upgraded our original CLS to the Star Class so this will be our first Genie experience.

If you would like some cabana pics posted of B1, B2 or others remind me during the live thread and I will get them for you.

Thanks so much for the tips and thorough explanation. I'll check out your last review. I'll also keep an eye out for your live review on teh Harmony next March. We're actually staying in 1724 just a month after you, so that'll be great timing!

Andrew - you managed to snag a Star class cabin for August? Good for you - enjoy!

Klepton - I knew I wanted B2, thanks to Andrew. But B1 would have been just fine too. Not much difference. B1 was actually vacant the day we had B2. Because it was a top "wish" I just made sure I mentioned it to the Genie by email as soon as I knew who my genie was. If you tell them as soon as you get your welcome email I think you will be all set. Good luck!

How do the "perks" of a Sky Class - Crown Loft Balcony Suite compare to these?

You will be invited to the special sail away - if they have one - or any top suite event. But your perks are more limited. You pay for drinks, for specialty restaurants, for all the in cabin stuff (laundry and mini bar for example). Sky class is like the old suite benefits before they introduced Star. You will board like everyone else (except for priority line) but you will get a choice of two special departure times where you can skip the lines.

Andrew - you managed to snag a Star class cabin for August? Good for you - enjoy!

Klepton - I knew I wanted B2, thanks to Andrew. But B1 would have been just fine too. Not much difference. B1 was actually vacant the day we had B2. Because it was a top "wish" I just made sure I mentioned it to the Genie by email as soon as I knew who my genie was. If you tell them as soon as you get your welcome email I think you will be all set. Good luck!

We had an over-the-water (#1) when we visited Labadee before. On our next cruise, we are thinking of B1 or B2. How did you like the location?

Eileen

I think the location of either is perfect. Directly on water and the beach. Your attendant brings water and drinks so the only "walk" is to your special lunch and the bathrooms.

Thanks!

We liked the privacy of the over-the-water cabana. The ONLY downside was lugging the floating mats back to the cabana.

Eileen

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Matt for the great review!

After just reading it, got nervous about not having anything booked for our 9/10 stay in the RLS. Just went on and booked the comedy club and only time left was the midnight show. Hoping Genie can gt us in to an earlier time :0

Any other things we should go ahead and book rather than waiting on Genie?

Thanks Mitzi - I am fairly certain your Genie will be able to book just about everything you need, or make adjustments, including the Comedy Club. The only exception for us was the Izumi Hibachi/Tepanyaki experience. If you want that for a particular day/time, I would book ahead - those spots are quite limited.

He/she will contact you 1 to 2 weeks out, so you will be able to give them a head's up on all your special requests.

If it's Francesco, please tell him we say hello.

We sail 8/21 in 1720 (allure). We have not heard from our genie yet, which I read is ok, we might not until 2 weeks out. However, I am getting worried about booking shows and restaurants. My TA says just book online, but when I do, it shows charging me. I don't want an OB credit back, I would want my card reversed, which I hear is hard/difficult for them to do. Hence I am waiting. Should I be worried?

Also, does anyone know if the cupcake class is free for Star guests?

What about the character breakfast?

any another random question: One thing we love about having the same wait staff at dinner is they get to know you (drinks, etc) and they are just so darn great! If we do specialty dinning will the service be as good?

If we want to have dessert in our room each night, can we tell our genie that and he/she arranges it? Or do we need to call each night to set it up?

Thanks in advance!

My genie said it was easier to just let him handle reservations. We did not have any problems getting in where we wanted. While they can do refunds it's more work. Cupcake class and cupcakes themselves are not free. Not sure on character breakfast.

We loved our specialty dining experience. The waiters obviously don't follow you but you get incredible service. I was very happy.

It can be done by genie in terms of service I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums