Oh, Baby!

We've never cruised with an infant before, nor have my children or my parents...all who will be on a cruise this fall with our first grandchild. She will be 7 months old on the cruise. Tell me everything I need to know!

I am well aware children are not allowed in the pools with swim diapers. Got it! No need to go there. I do have a question, though. What are the rules for the children's "water park" area on the Dream class ships? (I realize with a 7-month old this is probably not going to happen-- just curious!)

I also don't see that we'll be using any babysitting services (Camp Carnival, whatever), if they even offer it for that young. There will be 8 adults and this one little lady-- I think we've got it ourselves.

Bring on all the information, hints, etc. Thanks in advance.

Take a stroller, the baby will sleep a lot there while you enjoy the ship. Find an empty night club during the day so she can crawl around and get some energy out. Take some favorite toys. in the MDR, the first night, ask for a fruit plate - they will have one there for you every night there after so she can have some immediate snacks while waiting for other food.

Bring extra hats for the sun. It's windy without warning and those hats seem to be the first thing to go! finding replacement sun hats for little girls can be a challenge.

Bring a light sweater, the air-conditioning in some of the venues can be uncomfortable for the little ones.

If your granddaughter uses a binki/pacifier, pack many extras!

Babies just don't grasp the concept of "vacation". :D Everything that you need for baby maintance at home you'll need on the ship including food, formulas, changes of clothing for the length of the cruise, more diapers than you think you'll need, all of the soaps and lotions etc etc etc :eek:

We've never cruised with an infant before, nor have my children or my parents...all who will be on a cruise this fall with our first grandchild. She will be 7 months old on the cruise. Tell me everything I need to know!

I am well aware children are not allowed in the pools with swim diapers. Got it! No need to go there. I do have a question, though. What are the rules for the children's "water park" area on the Dream class ships? (I realize with a 7-month old this is probably not going to happen-- just curious!)

I also don't see that we'll be using any babysitting services (Camp Carnival, whatever), if they even offer it for that young. There will be 8 adults and this one little lady-- I think we've got it ourselves.

Bring on all the information, hints, etc. Thanks in advance.

No, children who are not potty-trained are not allowed in any recreational water facility, pool, splash area, or "water park", on any Carnival ship. The only ships that allow non-potty trained children into special splash areas are the Disney ships and the RCI Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum class ships.

One of the best ways to get our infant to sleep was to go outside under the lifeboats with him in the stroller. The sound of the waves and wind knocked him out each time; some of his easiest naps ever.

Also agree on using clubs or bars during the day time that are not in use for crawling around.

Take advantage of the morning family times in the play room; they will have a lot of toys for your baby to use up there.

If you are bringing formula/diapers bring DOUBLE what you think you will need. We seriously underestimated on the formula and scrambled in a foreign port to find more. Our son was 10 months and starting to eat regular food so we thought he'd eat more on the cruise but didn't and drank more formula than at home.

Request the crib ahead of time on your reservation.

Don't think you have to miss the fun; babies will sleep through a lot. We took ours to shows and walked around the ship. We weren't out late partying, but we weren't tucked in to the cabin at 8PM either.

Watch out for morning/daytime stuff that is fun for kids like the Dr. Seuss parade and Towel Animal puppet theater.

We brought our then 7.5 month old on a 4 day to the Bahamas with us. It was fine. Bring more diapers and formula than you think you will need. My kid didn't eat many purées and instead drank more. If you are breastfeeding, bring your pump in case you can have a few hours to yourself. Bring a good stroller for naps. Lots of sunscreen and good hats. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Bring extra of diapers, formula, bum cream, wipes, sunscreen. You don't want to try and find wipes in a foreign port, and hope that your little one doesn't get a rash from the new formula!

Also bring your own pharmacy. Baby formulated painkillers and antihistamine. Don't rely on the ship to have infant formula painkiller if you baby decides to start teething on day 2.

Whatever you use for bedtime routine at home bring for the ship. A favorite book, or toy bring that too.

If you don't already use one, consider introducing a white noise machine. There are lots of noises on board (door slamming, people talking as they go passed chairs moving above you) the white noise will just smooth that all out and make it easier for Little to get sleep.

Bring a baby carrier. There is nothing that makes a Little happier than being strapped safely to a person they trust. New environments, strange noises and people are all more friendly when you are comfortably snuggled on Daddy (or Mommy).

As much as possible stick to your home schedule. It's rough to miss out on things because your Little one needs to nap, but everyone will be happier in the end. Sleep and eat on your home schedule, or as close to it as you can.

Lastly... Take lots and lots of pics! You are going to love looking at them in a year and remembering how awesome it was.

We took both of our little ones when they were around the same age. Both did great and probably had more fun than the adults. If you have reserved dining the waiters will learn your routine with the baby on night one and make accommodations nightly going forward (have a fruit plate waiting when you get there, make recommendations based on previous mentions of likes/dislikes etc).

You can ask your steward for bags for the dirty diapers and they will bring you biohazard bags for disposal.

Bring a small bottle of dishwashing soap and bottle brushes for cleaning bottles. The water in the bathroom sink gets VERY hot, good for washing bottles. We would wash the ice bucket thoroughly and use it to soak nipples and bottle caps and then lay them out to dry on towels on the sink.

While it is tons of fun for the littles, it can also be exhausting. Don't be surprised if she sleeps a little more/longer than normal.

The crew absolutely loves babies so she will get all kinds of attention :).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ask your pediatrician if s/he has a travel list for babies.

Diapers can be packed two ways-- buy at your embarkation port and slap a luggage tag on it or take them out of the box and fill in all the nooks and crannies.

The Family board has lots of info.

Edited by SadieN