Looking for a good restaurant in Old san Juan

garyw2165

My wife and I will be in San Juan on Sunday Aug 28 from 3PM to 11 PM we are planning on touring 1 of the forts and then having dinner , we are looking for a restaurant to go to and have Mofango for dinner within walking distance from either the cruise port or the forts that has authentic PR food that will not break the bank , does anyone have any specific recommendations ?

"The Parrot Club"...absolutely wonderful....ate/drank there during our pre-cruise two weeks ago and since we were on a B2B we went there again on our turnaround day :p:D

Having only eaten at The Parrot Club, I can recommend it also. Casual, bright and fun. Some traditional PR food with some "nuevo Latino" riffs. The price points were very good for a tourist restaurant. I was there solo, so I sat at the bar for dinner. It was fine, I have a very capable and friendly bar woman who took very good care of me - water served quickly and often, she made a very tasty classic mojito, and she checked on me just right enough. I had heard good things about their nachos, so I decided to order the small size - wow. I loved them. The usage of root veggie chips instead of tortilla chips was sooo good. Just the right amount of goodies on top to be able to get a bit of stuff on every chip. And, the ropa vieja on the sides - I don't normally eat red meat,but this stuff was yummy and I ate it all! I was full from just the nachos, so I did not get a chance to eat anything else. But, I was totally OK with that!

You can go to their website and view the menu:

http://www.parrotclubpr.com

My wife and I will be in San Juan on Sunday Aug 28 from 3PM to 11 PM we are planning on touring 1 of the forts and then having dinner , we are looking for a restaurant to go to and have Mofango for dinner within walking distance from either the cruise port or the forts that has authentic PR food that will not break the bank , does anyone have any specific recommendations ?

Are you on the journeys sunshine cruise? If so I am well! We are looking for somewhere to have dinner as well

Having only eaten at The Parrot Club, I can recommend it also. Casual, bright and fun. Some traditional PR food with some "nuevo Latino" riffs. The price points were very good for a tourist restaurant. I was there solo, so I sat at the bar for dinner. It was fine, I have a very capable and friendly bar woman who took very good care of me - water served quickly and often, she made a very tasty classic mojito, and she checked on me just right enough. I had heard good things about their nachos, so I decided to order the small size - wow. I loved them. The usage of root veggie chips instead of tortilla chips was sooo good. Just the right amount of goodies on top to be able to get a bit of stuff on every chip. And, the ropa vieja on the sides - I don't normally eat red meat,but this stuff was yummy and I ate it all! I was full from just the nachos, so I did not get a chance to eat anything else. But, I was totally OK with that!

You can go to their website and view the menu:

http://www.parrotclubpr.com

Next time try the Parrot Passion and the Coconut Mojito :p:p

Yes we are on the Journey cruise in August we have been in San Juan on several other cruises, and we decided to just wing it this time . Thanks for the recommendations we will look into the Parrot Club.

Next time try the Parrot Passion and the Coconut Mojito :p:p

I'm not big on foo foo drinks. I spent my time in PR sipping good rum (and the free happy hour drinks at the W Vieques!!!). I did have a coconut Mojito at the St. Regis Bahia Beach just so I could take a picture to show friends that I did an obligatory foo foo drink on the beach…

But, a classic mojito is a nice, not too sweet, not fruity drink. I can make it last a long time. the fruity stuff is too temping to just guzzle ;)

The wife and I had paella at Barrachina's huge portion and very tasty. No way we could have finished it. And they have a parrot that swears at you. I mean What more could u ask for?

The Parrot Club is good but also try the Cafe Puerto Rico just off O'Donnell Plaza. If the weather is cooler, get a seat on the outside balcony area (there are only 3-4 tables). Seafood is the main fare and wonderfully fresh and creative.

I went to Restaurant El Jibarito (280 Calle Sol) last year. It's not fancy, there's definitely more locals than tourists, but the food was simply excellent! Yelp reviews: https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-jibarito-san-juan

21153405438_bf0789ba1c_z.jpg

If you are looking for a low-key, mom-and-pop place with very authentic Puerto Rican food at low prices, this is your spot. Very casual, you will be eating with local residents, and a no-frills atmosphere. All of the taxi cab drivers know the place.

Hi Gary,

My name is Cathy. Believe me when I tell you,the BEST place to eat is:

Raices, Calle Recinto Sur #315, Old San Juan,787-289-2121

Home town cooking,great prices,great drinks....Right in the hub of Old San Juan.We eat here all the time.You will LOVE-IT!! I see everyones written to you saying"The Parrot" is the place to go.Been there numerous times,played out,becoming to commericalized,lost its home town feeling. 'Raices" is litterally with in walking distance of the cruise pier.Its located 2 blocks behind the Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel your`ll see from the water.

I highly say to you to go here~You Will LOVE-IT

( I`ll be in OSJ come December on the Anthem, ) was just here this past October on the Adventure.

Chow~

How was Cafe Mallorca? We get into OSJ early and were planning on going there for breakfast.

Great :p...Very busy during the breakfast time we were there May 6th at approx 10:00am.

Also remember the classic La Bombonera just reopened (May 11th) after being closed for the last 4 years..it's always been my favorite.

Edited by Ashland

• 3 months later...

So what did you end up doing and how was it?

If you are looking for a low-key, mom-and-pop place with very authentic Puerto Rican food at low prices, this is your spot. Very casual, you will be eating with local residents, and a no-frills atmosphere. All of the taxi cab drivers know the place.

Concur--my native Puerto Rican boss recommended Raices, but they were closed for renovations and the cab driver took us to El Jibarito without hesitation. It doesn't look like much--but the food is excellent, the beer is cold, and nothing is overpriced.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147320-d904703-r420685095-El_Jibarito-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html#REVIEWS