Questions about the Alaska round trip Vancouver next May (2017)

7uvus

We just returned from our Alaska southbound off the Island, and decided we do it again next year, just reverse. We have done this same itinerary 3 times and LOVE it because of all the scenery! I was looking to next year and saw that the Emerald does a round trip out of Vancouver, minus the Hubbard Glacier and adding Sitka. Here are my questions...

1. Does Sitka have scenic hiking trails right off the dock? We aren't into the shopping or excursions, just exploring the natural beauty for free. Sitka would be our replacement of Skagway on this itinerary, and there are quite a few hiking trails to see a lot of beauty there.

2. Is the cruising very scenic from Vancouver to Sitka that first full day at sea cruising?

3. Does it feel like you are missing some scenery if you don't do the North/Southbound cruising?

4. We haven't cruised such a large ship in Alaska, so will the Emerald feel crowded? I know we will be tendering because of it's size, but that doesn't bother us.

At this point, it's so early that we have plenty of time to research, but thought I would ask CC first.

Thanks for any responses!

We just returned from our Alaska southbound off the Island, and decided we do it again next year, just reverse. We have done this same itinerary 3 times and LOVE it because of all the scenery! I was looking to next year and saw that the Emerald does a round trip out of Vancouver, minus the Hubbard Glacier and adding Sitka. Here are my questions...

1. Does Sitka have scenic hiking trails right off the dock? We aren't into the shopping or excursions, just exploring the natural beauty for free. Sitka would be our replacement of Skagway on this itinerary, and there are quite a few hiking trails to see a lot of beauty there.

2. Is the cruising very scenic from Vancouver to Sitka that first full day at sea cruising?

3. Does it feel like you are missing some scenery if you don't do the North/Southbound cruising?

4. We haven't cruised such a large ship in Alaska, so will the Emerald feel crowded? I know we will be tendering because of it's size, but that doesn't bother us.

At this point, it's so early that we have plenty of time to research, but thought I would ask CC first.

HI... I just returned a week ago from the Star R/T Vancouver that had Sitka on the itinerary... loved the cruise!! We docked.. ( orginally we were to be tendered), and they gave us a free shuttle to town that only took 10 minutes.

There were loads of walking trails right near by and the town is wonderful to wander through.

From town I walked to the Raptor Center where they re-habilitate bald headed eagles. Very interesting indeed.

The scenery on the first day was wonderful.... and cruising into Sitka was gorgeous. Loads of little islands dotting the path ..... lots of kodak moments :)

I have cruised numerous times to Alaska both northbound and southbound and do not feel like I missed out on any of the scenery....

I love the Grand/Gem class style of ships and do not find them crowded at all. Now, that is just my opinion.... others may find them to big.

Hope you do book this cruise, as I do not think you would be dissappointed.

Happy cruising!! :)

All I can tell you is that here in California we wish we could get an Alaskan cruise (out of SF) that visits Sitka. One of these days...

In 2007 we did an RT SF on the Dawn that was supposed to include Sitka. A storm the night before canceled it so the ship went whale watching instead.

We've done NB twice and RT Seattle twice. I do feel like RT (at least from Seattle) feels like you're missing some of the scenery, but still lots to see.

We've cruised Alaska on the Coral, Sapphire, Grand, and Ruby. Coral was our favorite (then), but Ruby is our favorite (now). Even though the Ruby is a deck bigger than Sapphire/Grand, things seem to "fit" better for the most part, and we really enjoy the Adagio bar next to Sabatinis (now SHARE). Emerald is a sister to Ruby, and I'd be just as happy to sail on her.

I can't speak definitely for Sitka, but from what I see on the Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska website, there's at least one dock in Sitka that doesn't require tendering, and Juneau most definitely can accommodate ships the size of Emerald Princess. Presumably, there are multiple ships due in Sitka and Juneau the days of your potential cruise, and for one rea$on or another, Princess chose to anchor out and tender in those days.

We've only visited Sitka once, but I just loved it. We did a hike that starts fairly near the cruise pier. Bring up the pdf linked below and look for Gavan Hill Trail. You can see it better on the second page. I'd definitely recommend this trail.

http://www.sitka.org/includes/media/docs/Sitka-Recreation-Map-merged.pdf

Thank you for the replies! This is very helpful!

We will probably choose the cruise to Sitka next year. It sounds like a good port to visit. I'm still looking at itineraries that include the port and Princess seems to have more of the scenic cruising that include Sitka.

Thanks guys for the help!

1. Just off Star's May 17-21 RT Vancouver sailing. Sitka was our first stop. We had to take a 10 minute shuttle ride into town, so if there are hiking trails right where the ship docks, I would definitely do your research to make sure it's safe to walk them. I didn't see any but also wasn't looking for them.

2. I only recall seeing ocean on that sea day to Sitka - I think we were pretty far from shore. However, I will consider it scenic given that I was able to watch a pod of orcas from our balcony (they were far off, but we had good binoculars) and a decent amount of other sea life (otters, sea lions, etc).

3. We have only ever done round trips to Alaska so can't comment.

4. I really don't think you'll feel crowded even if the sailing is sold out. In 2014 we sailed on the Ruby Princess to Alaska and we felt the Star was very comparable to that ship. We were on Emerald over New Year's this year and actually felt that it was a wee bit smaller in comparison to Star (whether that is true, I don't know - just our perception). Our Star sailing this year was sold out and the ship never, ever, felt crowded, so I think you'll be fine.

Sitka is a wonderful stop! We've done every itinerary available in Alaska. Can't really count the number of times we've done Alaska (we did 8 weeks on 3 different occasions last summer). It's our favorite. We are elite with Princess and use them 99% of the time, but Holland America has a MARVELOUS 14-day round trip out of Seattle that visits Sitka, Kodiak Island, Homer, & Icy Strait Point -- in addition to the standard Ketchikan, Hubbard, Tracy Arms & Juneau. It goes to Victoria BC for the "foreign" port--lovely place to see--beautiful gardens. It also docks in Anchorage itself--not Whittier or Seward, but Anchorage! They use smaller ships for this itinerary. LOVE it and highly recommend you try that itinerary at least once if you really enjoy Alaska.

We booked this cruise just for Sitka!! we love the RT out of van couver! I don't think you'll miss a thing. We've done northbound as well....but found RT was better for us and easier with air faire.

Edited by 232271

Sitka is a wonderful stop! We've done every itinerary available in Alaska. Can't really count the number of times we've done Alaska (we did 8 weeks on 3 different occasions last summer). It's our favorite. We are elite with Princess and use them 99% of the time, but Holland America has a MARVELOUS 14-day round trip out of Seattle that visits Sitka, Kodiak Island, Homer, & Icy Strait Point -- in addition to the standard Ketchikan, Hubbard, Tracy Arms & Juneau. It goes to Victoria BC for the "foreign" port--lovely place to see--beautiful gardens. It also docks in Anchorage itself--not Whittier or Seward, but Anchorage! They use smaller ships for this itinerary. LOVE it and highly recommend you try that itinerary at least once if you really enjoy Alaska.

Oooooh, I'm so glad you mentioned the Holland America 14 day out of Seattle! We've never done that line and otherwise probably wouldn't consider it, but now that I know such a fantastic itinerary exists, I've already told the husband we need to start saving both money and vacation time! Thank you for the info!