Another Yahoo News Headliner...

IRL_Joanie

Well, I searched on our main boards and did not see this mentioned on the first 3 pages, so will just post this here for those of us, myself included, who might want to keep this info in mind, in case HAL follows suit soon.....

Celebrity Cruises hikes service charges (again!)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/05/31/celebrity-cruises-gratuities-service-charge/85180812/

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here, say it goes up $1 per day per person and you're on a 30 day cruise w double occupancy...

Is that $60 more the tipping point of what you can/can't afford?

The story is sensationalizing things with the paragraph that starts w:

"With the increase, a family of four will pay nearly $400 in automatic gratuities on a typical seven-night cruise -- one of the highest levies in the industry. "

The author purposefully states the #s in a way for a glancer (not an actual reader) to see the $400 as if it was a $400 increase. Prior to the increase the suggested gratuity was $364 for a 7 day cruise for a family of 4.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here, say it goes up $1 per day per person and you're on a 30 day cruise w double occupancy...

Is that $60 more the tipping point of what you can/can't afford?

The story is sensationalizing things with the paragraph that starts w:

"With the increase, a family of four will pay nearly $400 in automatic gratuities on a typical seven-night cruise -- one of the highest levies in the industry. "

The author purposefully states the #s in a way for a glancer (not an actual reader) to see the $400 as if it was a $400 increase. Prior to the increase the suggested gratuity was $364 for a 7 day cruise for a family of 4.

I agree that it does sensationalize the increase.

I also read it as a $60. USD. But then again, you and I are experienced cruisers. Someone who has never cruised or a fairly new cruiser might panic.....Hope that is understandable?

To me, I know that HAL will follow suit. Question is when? I cannot remember how long after they raised the Service Charge on another line in the family did HAL follow suit....

Joanie

I think it will be fairly soon as far as Holland America Line raising the gratuity. When I recently made my reservation for the VOV cruise next year, I had the TA ask about the gratuity and was told...."it is $12.50 ---- for now" That quote is from his contact at HAL. :eek: