Hire Car Port Chalmers Help Needed

My plan was to hire a car for the day when we visit Dunedin in January 2017. Problem so far is that the two companies I have tried that service the port suspend this service in early January as they can't keep up with the demand elsewhere. I checked out whether It was worth taking the bus into Dunedin to pick up a car but that seems too much bother plus all the major players like Hertz and Avis are closed on a Sunday.

I've seen some "Rent-a-Wreck" style ads but am wary of the quality of the vehicles. I don't want to be stranded on the peninsula and see the Golden sail without us!

Anybody had any success in hiring from the port at this time of year? The two companies that couldn't help were Pegasus and NZ rent a car.

Cheers

Stu

My plan was to hire a car for the day when we visit Dunedin in January 2017. Problem so far is that the two companies I have tried that service the port suspend this service in early January as they can't keep up with the demand elsewhere. I checked out whether It was worth taking the bus into Dunedin to pick up a car but that seems too much bother plus all the major players like Hertz and Avis are closed on a Sunday.

I've seen some "Rent-a-Wreck" style ads but am wary of the quality of the vehicles. I don't want to be stranded on the peninsula and see the Golden sail without us!

Anybody had any success in hiring from the port at this time of year? The two companies that couldn't help were Pegasus and NZ rent a car.

Cheers

Stu

They're the only ones I recall seeing I'm sorry.

Cheers Stu

Tourism down that way has gone ballistic. All the action is around Queenstown.

Just a suggestion , If you can get a car in Dunedin it should not be too much of a hassle to take the shuttle in. You have to drive into Dunedin anyway before heading off down the peninsula. After returning it you would simply get the shuttle back to the ship.

I have used rent a dent in NZ but in Invercargill (several times) not Dunedin and the cars are fine for one day, they are just like any second hand car, not as fresh as the new ones used by the more pricey companies. We have found the service to be excellent.

we were in Dunedin in January on RCI VOS and we hired a car from Dunedin Detours direct from their website. Pick up drop off no problem super easy, car we chose was a buzz box Nissan Tiida for 2 adults 2 kids direct from port chalmers. Biggest issue we had on the day was keeping my 8 year old from vom bombing in the car on the way back from driving to the albatross centre.

we were in Dunedin in January on RCI VOS and we hired a car from Dunedin Detours direct from their website. Pick up drop off no problem super easy, car we chose was a buzz box Nissan Tiida for 2 adults 2 kids direct from port chalmers. Biggest issue we had on the day was keeping my 8 year old from vom bombing in the car on the way back from driving to the albatross centre.

Cheers, I will look them up.:D

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately they too are not offering hire cars at the port over the Christmas/New Year period.

I've decided not to bother. This will be our 4th visit to Dunedin and we have never actually spent any time in town so I think this will be our opportunity.

cheers

Stu

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately they too are not offering hire cars at the port over the Christmas/New Year period.

I've decided not to bother. This will be our 4th visit to Dunedin and we have never actually spent any time in town so I think this will be our opportunity.

cheers

Stu

Dunedin is a fab place to just walk around. Visit the Cadbury factory, historic railwAy station, local cathedrals, breweries, or do a town tour from th i-site.

Hugh