Just finished Disney Dream. Service Dogs !

e2011

As far as changes to ramps, etc those are considered structural and there are some limited exceptions (including if there is an alternate route even if less convenient).

And Disney has portable pool lifts, I have seen them in use, although I have no idea what the procedure is other than to call above) and how much of a hassle they are.

So I freaked last night after reading ex techies comment and did some more research. A few blogs talking about special needs on the Fantasy mention lifts. I called Disney Cruise Line Special Services at (407) 566-3602 this AM and was told that THE FANTASY has lifts at Quiet Cove Pool, Quiet Cove Jacuzzi, Donald's Pool and Rainforest (Spa?) jacuzzi but you must make an appointment with Guest Services to use them. THE WONDER has one at Quiet Cove and Goofy Pool. They are not left on deck. One Celebrity Cruise we were on did this as well. Kind of a pain but at least they were there and I get why they don't want them out.

It says this on the their site: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/guests-with-disabilities/pool-lifts/

Q.

Do any of the ship's pools have lifts for Guests with disabilities?

A.

Yes. Guest-operated pool lifts are available at certain locations for requested time periods within operating hours. The pool lift maximum weight limit is 300 pounds.

Guests are advised to contact Disney Cruise Line Special Services in advance of their cruise to discuss arrangements for the use of pool lifts.

Disney Cruise Line Special Services

Phone: (407) 566-3602

Fax: (407) 566-3760

TTY: (407) 566-7455

Email: SpecialServices@disneycruise.com

So sorry to hijack this thread and I really pray Disney info is correct as I know you guys have been there, done that and would know. Maybe this is relatively new? I never considered the slide an option just because I have never seen an accessible water slide for a fulltime chair user and I know what sort of threshold things you are talking about moki'smommy. We've dealt with them on the older RC ships but grrrrr.....why on a new ship? *sigh*

Thanks for this. I guess what I should have said is that I never saw any lifts on DCL. But we never asked for them either. Sorry for the mis-information. I'm just used to seeing permanent ones available at out local pool, so when I didn't see them at DCL pools, figured they didn't exist.

I just assumed that the threshold issue was necessary for water control on the ships in the event of an emergency and with one exception, there was a relatively easy "work around." Note to able bodied people...relatively easy = wait on deck 4 aft for up or down elevator that has space for a wheelchair guest, go up or down to another deck, traverse the distance on the new deck to midship, wait for elevator with space again to take you back to deck 4. It will get you there. It is time consuming and not fun. It is less fun when annoying children are pressing every button on the elevator!

The above is an issue on the Magic and Wonder during the few hours that they close Shutters. The biggest problem we encountered was on deck 4. We followed their suggested "detour" out to the deck, rolled to midship, and couldn't get back in. It exists in a few other spots on the ships as well, but was not as big a problem to work around as there is usually another inside route. We can enjoy deck 4 by using only those entrances/exits that have ramps or are flat.

WheelingMom....yeah, I'm learning more on each trip as my daughter's situation deteriorates. I appreciate your grrrr...... And I'm amazed at how may loopholes there are in the ADA rules on land in the US.

Edited by moki'smommy

We were always told it was a water issue as well but somehow Allure and Solstice don't have these issues. They were very easy to get around minus the elevator crowding. That we have experienced on every ship. I can imagine with Disney and all the kids and possible strollers it's going to be much worse.

We were always told it was a water issue as well but somehow Allure and Solstice don't have these issues. They were very easy to get around minus the elevator crowding. That we have experienced on every ship. I can imagine with Disney and all the kids and possible strollers it's going to be much worse.

Disney elevators....yeah, it varies. We've had lots of people move over to make room, occasionally people got out to make room, and occasionally people grumbled and made inappropriate remarks. The elevators are fairly good size by ship standards, so not a big problem that way.

Honestly, the biggest elevator issue we had was the kids who would jump on, press every button, and jump off. If this happens regularly, report it to GS. They will make an attempt to deal with it by having it discussed in The Edge. I know that on one 14 night cruise the kids were told that IF there were no complaints about behavior around the ship, they would get to do some special things toward the end of the cruise, but if there were guest complaints particularly about noise and elevator behavior those activities would not be available. And it was the best behaved group I've ever seen!

Off topic a bit, just out of curiosity I ask my attorney about a scenario where one of these bogus service dogs bites my child at sea. Can I file a law suite against the owner? Yes I can but good luck trying to do that since if the dog bites you while at sea in international waters you may have to file the law suite in the country the shipped was flagged. Probably Bahamas.

Off topic a bit, just out of curiosity I ask my attorney about a scenario where one of these bogus service dogs bites my child at sea. Can I file a law suite against the owner? Yes I can but good luck trying to do that since if the dog bites you while at sea in international waters you may have to file the law suite in the country the shipped was flagged. Probably Bahamas.

Regardless of whether it is a legit service dog, a bogus, service dog, or any other dog, you can try to sue the owner. But as you noted, good luck.

Regardless of whether it is a legit service dog' date=' a bogus, service dog, or any other dog, you can try to sue the owner. But as you noted, good luck.[/quote']

True. I am making an assumption that a true, professionally trained service dog would not be a biter.

Any dog, no matter how well trained, can be. Had an incident here, totally an accident, server stepped HARD on a service dogs tail and the dog snapped and nipped. No real damage other than a couple dishes going flying. It can happen although should be rare (for example, dogs are trained to sit under the table when possible to avoid just this, wasn't possible here)

True. I am making an assumption that a true, professionally trained service dog would not be a biter.

Any dog, no matter how well trained, can be. Had an incident here, totally an accident, server stepped HARD on a service dogs tail and the dog snapped and nipped. No real damage other than a couple dishes going flying. It can happen although should be rare (for example, dogs are trained to sit under the table when possible to avoid just this, wasn't possible here)

ouch..poor dog!

Okay, I just wanted to put my 2 cents in here - DH does have a service dog (diabetic assistance). The dog has saved DH's life more times than I can count. However, we have not tried to bring the dog on a cruise, simply because of the hassle factor (that and the dog seems to think that he can go off duty when I am around! :rolleyes:;) We have to fill out 'annual reports' and send them to the agency where we got the dog. After we send in the reports, DH gets a card stating that he has a service dog, as well as a picture of him and the dog. We also have the vest as well.

Frankly, it really ticks me off when people take advantage of the system and loopholes, just because they can. Also, because we know what we went through to get the dog (it actually wasn't horrible, but it was still a process).

The cruise line can't grill people about verifying the service dog part, but isn't it a challenge to get the dog into the countries? Different countries may not care if it is a service dog and ban the dog without going through certain channels? I recall looking into it and thinking - UGH!

So, although theoretically, we can bring the dog everywhere we go, we don't, simply because we don't feel the need to 'push the envelope and throw our weight around about the service dog.

To whomever said that their daughter was considering getting a service dog - do it! The dog has been one of the best things that has happened to DH. while doing the services DH needed, he also (unofficially) provided emotional support when things got rough with his diabetes.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to try to answer them - from a caregivers perspective. I'm certainly not an expert on the ADA though!

To whomever said that their daughter was considering getting a service dog - do it! The dog has been one of the best things that has happened to DH. while doing the services DH needed, he also (unofficially) provided emotional support when things got rough with his diabetes.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to try to answer them - from a caregivers perspective. I'm certainly not an expert on the ADA though!

Thanks, Norwane. I'm the one who said that my adult daughter was considering getting a dog and I will give her your input. I honestly think that it is admirable that one of her hesitations is that someone else may need the dog more than she.

One of my hesitations is the whole cruise issue. Europe has become easier--if you participate with the Pet Passport program, you can go in and out of participating European countries without issue. It is basically like a human passport, and each time vaccinations are updated, the vet notes it in the appropriate area. You are totally right about other countries though--each has their own regs and they do not have to recognize the concept of a service dog. We spoke with one caregiver who said that they elected to not leave the ship in some countries due to the hassle of doing it with the dog. BUT the cruise lines require that you have the documentation that covers all stops on your trip. And we have certainly seen numerous service dogs on the ships.

Good luck with your cruising!

So I freaked last night after reading ex techies comment and did some more research. A few blogs talking about special needs on the Fantasy mention lifts. I called Disney Cruise Line Special Services at (407) 566-3602 this AM and was told that THE FANTASY has lifts at Quiet Cove Pool, Quiet Cove Jacuzzi, Donald's Pool and Rainforest (Spa?) jacuzzi but you must make an appointment with Guest Services to use them. THE WONDER has one at Quiet Cove and Goofy Pool. They are not left on deck. One Celebrity Cruise we were on did this as well. Kind of a pain but at least they were there and I get why they don't want them out.

It says this on the their site: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/guests-with-disabilities/pool-lifts/

Q.

Do any of the ship's pools have lifts for Guests with disabilities?

A.

Yes. Guest-operated pool lifts are available at certain locations for requested time periods within operating hours. The pool lift maximum weight limit is 300 pounds.

Guests are advised to contact Disney Cruise Line Special Services in advance of their cruise to discuss arrangements for the use of pool lifts.

Disney Cruise Line Special Services

Phone: (407) 566-3602

Fax: (407) 566-3760

TTY: (407) 566-7455

Email: SpecialServices@disneycruise.com

So sorry to hijack this thread and I really pray Disney info is correct as I know you guys have been there, done that and would know. Maybe this is relatively new? I never considered the slide an option just because I have never seen an accessible water slide for a fulltime chair user and I know what sort of threshold things you are talking about moki'smommy. We've dealt with them on the older RC ships but grrrrr.....why on a new ship? *sigh*

Sorry to have caused you anxiety, but I have not seen these or read about them.

It's odd that they describe them as Guest operated lifts. Probably a liability thing.

And it sounds like a real PITA to have to prebook time slots to use them.

But better than nothing.

ex techie

This hasn't been mentioned, so I thought I'd bring it up. I haven't seen a dog on a cruise before, but it honestly freaks me out. I can't be near them. I'm highly allergic to dogs. What would happen in that instance?

How would it be any different than if you would encounter one at a hotel or mall?

This hasn't been mentioned, so I thought I'd bring it up. I haven't seen a dog on a cruise before, but it honestly freaks me out. I can't be near them. I'm highly allergic to dogs. What would happen in that instance?

Well, I'd have to say, it's probably up to you to stay away. I know that would be difficult, I mean, how do you know whether the dog was recently walking through any given space that you now want to traverse. What do you do in the "real world" when you are in public spaces that dogs are in?

But, if you were seating at a table in the dining room with a service dog nearby, I'm sure you can ask to be moved.

We had a service dog on our recent TA cruise. I saw her often around the ship. Turns out I didn't even notice that she was seated at (well, under) the table right next to us, until about 1/2 way through the cruise.

Request (special needs form) that your cabin be "allergy cleaned" before you arrive. They won't preserve any cabins as never having had dogs in them, but they are a lot more uncommon than this thread makes it sound. The "allergy cleaning" is a deep cleaning designed to remove any allergens that may have found their way into the cabin.

30+ cruises...I'd say there was a service dog on less than 1/4 of them. Certainly we've seen them, but they aren't all that common. As above, it will be up to you to avoid them in public spaces. If there is one anywhere near you in the dining room, ask to be moved. You can avoid the problem in advance by noting on the special needs form that you are allergic to dogs and if there are any service dogs on board, you'll need to be on a different dining rotation than they are.

Is it just me or has everyone caught on to the fact that you can buy a service dog vest on eBay and then take you family pet on the cruise ship! Its getting ridiculous. Its time that congress fixed the loophole in the ADA rules They should require service dogs to have a letter from a doctor stating the person needs the dog. Also a letter from an authorized service dog training company that your dog has indeed been certified as a real service dog. Cruise ships could then require these two documents before a dog can enter the ship. Its a shame so many people from the "its all about me" generation are taking advantage of ADA.

This topic pops up frequently on cruise Boards. I certainly condemn people who take advantage.

But I want to kindly remind people NOT to make any rash judgements. Just because you can't "see" the disability doesn't mean it is not there. I wish the OP added more information as to why he/she felt the dogs were fake. Poor behavior? People openly admitting it?

The disabled board on CC has a huge thread on service dogs. If you are thinking of bringing your amnimal, it is a great place to start.

Absolutely agree with the above. My daughter's problem is commonly referred to as a "hidden disability" and then she will be doing everything in her power to be sure that you don't see those aspects that are visible if you know what to look for!

Some people with disabilities are in motorized wheelchairs. Others look just like you or I. True service dogs have exemplary behavior. Emotional support dogs are another matter.

I hate to say it but its like people with Peanut allergies on planes. They can stop serving them, ask people not to eat them but in all honesty if people do then they do. They would assume that the person has an Epipen of some sort and that they would use that if needed.

What I would add is that the majority of true service dogs (although emotional support ones to a lesser extent I've found) are hypoallergenic so people are less likely to be allergic at least in the UK and the US I believe. This is why most guide dogs are Labrador as they tend to cause less pet allergies in general. Probably would still cause issues but hopefully less for you than other dogs. I would definitely tell the cruise company though so they are aware and can hopefully try to ensure you don't get too near.

I hate to say it but its like people with Peanut allergies on planes. They can stop serving them, ask people not to eat them but in all honesty if people do then they do. They would assume that the person has an Epipen of some sort and that they would use that if needed.

What I would add is that the majority of true service dogs (although emotional support ones to a lesser extent I've found) are hypoallergenic so people are less likely to be allergic at least in the UK and the US I believe. This is why most guide dogs are Labrador as they tend to cause less pet allergies in general. Probably would still cause issues but hopefully less for you than other dogs. I would definitely tell the cruise company though so they are aware and can hopefully try to ensure you don't get too near.

As a former breeder of Labradors, I have never heard that they caused fewer allergies. In fact, after 15 years of breeding them I developed an allergy to dogs.:( :(:(

As a former breeder of Labradors, I have never heard that they caused fewer allergies. In fact, after 15 years of breeding them I developed an allergy to dogs.:( :(:(

No way are Labs hypoallergenic. The hair and dander from just one is incredible, I feel more than we had with our Newfoundland.

Labradoodles, poodles, and Portuguese water dogs are some of the larger breeds that are in fact hypoallergenic, but certainly not all service dogs.

I would dispute the fact that "the majority of true service dogs" are labradors. Service dogs come in a wide variety of breeds. Some of this depends on the needs of the person using them. Most seizure and blood sugar dogs are smaller varieties. Most guide dogs for blind that I've worked with are goldens or golden mixes, although many others use labs, standard poodles, etc. For my daughter's needs, most legit service dogs are Great Danes as the larger size is important. The best/most common breed depends greatly on what the dog is expected to do. Many breeds besides labs are trained by legit organizations as real service dogs.

I would dispute the fact that "the majority of true service dogs" are labradors. Service dogs come in a wide variety of breeds. Some of this depends on the needs of the person using them. Most seizure and blood sugar dogs are smaller varieties. Most guide dogs for blind that I've worked with are goldens or golden mixes' date=' although many others use labs, standard poodles, etc. For my daughter's needs, most legit service dogs are Great Danes as the larger size is important. The best/most common breed depends greatly on what the dog is expected to do. Many breeds besides labs are trained by legit organizations as real service dogs.[/quote']

Sorry folks caused scandal here - should have not added my 2 cents. I was told by a regional officer in the Guide Dogs UK that guide dogs were hypoallegenic and in my ignorance assumed they were Labs! Apologies I didn't check this just assumed and agree most aren't pure breds any more but the hypoallegenic thing was what he told me a couple of weeks ago.

No way are Labs hypoallergenic. The hair and dander from just one is incredible, I feel more than we had with our Newfoundland.

Labradoodles, poodles, and Portuguese water dogs are some of the larger breeds that are in fact hypoallergenic, but certainly not all service dogs.

And I wasn't claiming all hence I said "majority" and also did say this was the case in the UK. Again apologies. From what I have spoken about with both Pets for Therapy and Guide Dogs for the Blind in the UK which are 2 of the largest service animal charities (I'm a disability officer in organisation so we fund raise for both of them) they use hypoallegenic dogs in general as find that this prevents any allergy issues but again this is just what I've been told and it could be that if I asked someone else in the organisation they might say something different,:o

Edited by gismo1554

I would dispute the fact that "the majority of true service dogs" are labradors.

Oh and never said "true service dogs" were all labradors! I said that I believed they were hypoallegenic and gave them as albeit incorrect example! I am well aware they come in many shapes and sizes and for many different reasons. I'm sorry if people thought I didn't.

Edited by gismo1554