Dyea Dave Excursions

mom02

Asking for feedback from those who have booked excursions through Dyea Dave. I've read great things about them and have contacted them for booking a private tour because we have a large group, but they didn't ask for a deposit, give confirmation numbers or anything of that sort. How do we confirm we are actually booked with them? Just want to see what other people's experience has been. TIA!

Well, I'm in the same boat<g> I have reserved 2 "spots".

I am not at all concerned since this seems to be their M.O. and their reviews are excellent. I have their number programmed in case of not seeing them when we disembark. I'm just going to have faith!

Asking for feedback from those who have booked excursions through Dyea Dave. I've read great things about them and have contacted them for booking a private tour because we have a large group, but they didn't ask for a deposit, give confirmation numbers or anything of that sort. How do we confirm we are actually booked with them? Just want to see what other people's experience has been. TIA!

Us too. I e-mailed them back and this is what the message said. "We will meet you at the dock at 7:45 am. I have your name on our list! Look for Dave in his "top hat" or someone with a Dyea Dave sign. " I guess it is a go!

He actually posts here on the CC Alaska board. He has been there 28 years and his word is his bond. Nobody wants bad publicity and they work hard to build a good reputation. I've read they he has hired some additional guides to help run the show.

Dave gave us a tour earlier this month and it was excellent. I spoke with him on the phone a few months ago (the dead of winter for them) and emailed with the lady who does the bookings. Nice, nice people. When he picked us up at the dock the lady who does the bookings was with him - we dropped her off where one of their other vans was parked but had to stop by Dave's house to get the keys first. Ha Ha The whole trip was kind of like going somewhere with friends. :D Don't worry! Everything will be alright without a confirmation number! :)

Thanks for all the reassuring responses! We're so used to people asking for $ up front and confirmation numbers and the like. It's refreshing to hear how Dyea Dave operates his tours. We are really looking forward to our excursion with them!

We toured with Dyea Dave and wondered/worried as he required no deposit. We had a great tour and he didn't have us pay until we parted at the RR station (we took the train back to Skagway after our Emerald Lake tour). The personal touch, friendly and casual attitude, and the ability to stop and take pictures whenever we asked was a highlight of our tour. I booked with them for the following year's tour (which we unfortunately had to cancel) but will be booking again for our trip in 2017.

We are thinking of going with Dyea Dave to Emerald Lake. Does the trip include the Go,d Rush cemetery or do they just start driving out of town toward Carcross?

We stopped in Carcross for maybe an hour for lunch and walked around some shops in the middle of town. He didn't mention anything about a Gold Rush cemetery that I can remember. After lunch we rode out to Emerald Lake - just a few miles from town. If you ask him about it he can tell you something I'm sure.

We are going on our first Alaskan cruise this July, and we also booked with Dyea Dave (we will be taking the train back to Skagway). He spoke with my sister-in-law on the phone for quite some time and was very friendly and informative. We were pleasantly surprised that we didn't have to make a deposit, but we found it refreshing after paying for our other excursions. The excellent reviews on Trip Advisor helped us make our decision, and we are really looking forward to our time in Skagway.

We are thinking of going with Dyea Dave to Emerald Lake. Does the trip include the Go,d Rush cemetery or do they just start driving out of town toward Carcross?

Was just on excursion with Dyea Dave yesterday to Emerald Lake, then train from Fraser back to Skagway. We stopped at the cemetery before we left town, then headed up for Carcross. For anyone worried, I am also used to the booking deposit, confirmation scenario but they are very relaxed. We met Kathy, the booking agent on our bus and she was the nicest ever.

Was just on excursion with Dyea Dave yesterday to Emerald Lake, then train from Fraser back to Skagway. We stopped at the cemetery before we left town, then headed up for Carcross. For anyone worried, I am also used to the booking deposit, confirmation scenario but they are very relaxed. We met Kathy, the booking agent on our bus and she was the nicest ever.

Did you like the train ride back?

We’ve been with Dyea Dave on numerous tours to the Yukon. He runs a class operation. Don’t worry about him not taking a deposit when you book, he does things the old way with a handshake. Last time we took the train back and it was better than going up and back on the train, the weather is better on the afternoon train. We have him booked for next week.

Did you like the train ride back?

Loved it! We had best of both worlds. The bus on the way up could stop for wildlife and photo opportunities, but the views from the train coming back down were amazing too. Somehow the 8 of us with the Dyea Dave tour managed to have a whole car to ourselves!

After reading so many positive reports about Dave, we did a last minute booking for our Juneau visit last week. Kathy (AKA "Bookie") was very quick to respond to my e-mail and gave exact directions for the meeting place. By some luck we were the only clients for the day and Dave (AKA "Bigfoot") himself was our guide/driver/entertainer for the day. He gave us a very personalized extended tour. Certainly exceeded expectations. This is no imported money grabbing enterprise as we have sometimes encountered on slick excursions. Dave is a local - the real deal. We had a great road trip and would do it again in a heartbeat.

BTW, don't miss the pecan cinnamon buns at the Carcross bakery.

We last toured with Dyea Dave about eight years ago. We boarded a small van which at the time was driven by his sister. We stayed on the bus for a round trip, while others took the train back to Skagway

There was a couple that was running late for the tour, so he drop the others in town at a small museum. While we were waiting for the missing couple, we viewed a small movie about the area. They then picked us back up, and we started the actual tour.

We liked the tour so much, that we are taking his tour again in September.

You do not pay until the end of the tour.

We highly recommend this tour.

Do read the reviews on tripadvisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60877-d1555401-Reviews-Dyea_Dave_Tours-Skagway_Alaska.html

I am a multi time customer who has nothing, but rave reviews for Dyea Dave tours. Everything fits my style of touring with his offerings. I prefer the comfort of the small vans and his excellent guides. They fit well with the White Pass RR and offer a casual lunch option in Carcross of your choice, rather than the "dismal" large group feeding option of some other tours. :) Gives me, my joy of a walk around Carcross, Lake Bennett, and the superb soup of the Chilkoot Bakery. :)

I just was with him, again, twice, in May. If of interest, inquire if he is going to start a new option with a small sled dog vendor? We made a brief stop there last week.

What disturbs me are the, no shows and last minute cancellations, I've seen. IF you have contact from this company- with booked tour information, you can be assured you'll have a wonderful day ahead, with this company. :)

Budget Queen - You have been an invaluable source of information for Alaska. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences. It made our trip so much more informed. Dave mentioned he had taken you out just the week before us. Sorry that we missed you. I would have been glad to treat you to soup at the Carcross Bakery.

Budget Queen - You have been an invaluable source of information for Alaska. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences. It made our trip so much more informed. Dave mentioned he had taken you out just the week before us. Sorry that we missed you. I would have been glad to treat you to soup at the Carcross Bakery.

Wasn't the trip great. :) I've always been an advocate of looking "further" so as to not miss potential highlights that may be of interest to "YOU". :) Too frequently- it's not considered.

Sorry I missed you as well. You much have gone with him, between my 2 trips. I had "Sassy" again, and Renee (sp?) the other trip- who was new for me. Both fantastic trips and I greatly- enjoyed both guides.

Hi BudgetQueen, like all your reviews & etc on all the ports. Have learned alot from you and others on the board, here. Will be goin with Dyea Dave up to Carcross in a couple of weeks, an I can't wait to go!!:)

You've got a great trip coming up. :) Enjoy every minute.