Advice to Overseas Cruisers coming to Australia

Wildflower season is rapidly approaching Western Australia - we have more species, more displays, more of anything really that attracts thousands of overseas cruisers to Perth to see nature at it's best.

From late August through September you can and should visit to see this spectacle.

Even if only in Perth for one day - visit Kings Park - they have an amazing display of wild flowers from all regions of Western Australia.

You will be amazed, lost for words, stunned, dazzled, overwhelmed, astonished, at the display of colour and diversity of the flowers - and the coffee at the nearby shop is pretty good to.

See the attached photo of a patch of wild flowers we call "kangaroo paw"

I am going up to a National Park, in the bush, north of Perth, for a few days tomorrow to weed, fertilise and hand water a couple of acres of wildflower habitat to ensure it is in top condition for the season.

Yes, I have packed my fly net, dunny rolls and have sufficient liquid in cans to see me through. I'll report back when I get back if I come back.

In the meantime I am sure all our wonderful Aussie cc members will continue to provide our valued overseas cruisers with advice and tips to help with their visit to the downunder.

I forgot to mention something and this is very important:

The picking of wildflowers at Kings Park or anywhere in the bush is strickly prohibited - offenders will be prosecuted.

This ban is strickly enforced even though you may see miles and miles of the same flower in the bush and be tempted to pick just one -forget it!

The alternative is to buy some seeds of your favourite wildflower, plant it at home, watch it grow and pluck you own - it is as simple as that.

I am going up to a National Park, in the bush, north of Perth, for a few days tomorrow to weed, fertilise and hand water a couple of acres of wildflower habitat to ensure it is in top condition for the season.

Yes, I have packed my fly net, dunny rolls and have sufficient liquid in cans to see me through. I'll report back when I get back if I come back.

Love your work and it is so rewarding to make the world a better place for others to enjoy as well.:D

Heard there was real confusion in Canberra the other day and some politicians got stabbed in the front.:eek::D:cool::p

All your Pollies blow in here, mess up the place and then bugger off again. At least they won't be back for a while.

Edited by MicCanberra

Great link.:D

I like the perspective they give in terms of size and climate and so few realise how many states we could have ended up with, strew th even in 1901 the constitution still provided for NZ to come on board.

All your Pollies blow in here, mess up the place and then bugger off again. At least they won't be back for a while.

Think yourself lucky they only work about a dozen weeks a year, imagine if the bludgers were there 52 weeks year.

Just some maps that put this great country into some perspective for our overseas visitors, many don't understand just how vast and barren the joint is.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/australia-is-terra-insanus?utm_term=.wqoL93eAJ#.afE07EO9z

Great link. Fascinating stuff. I knew the place was big but this puts it into perspective.

As they say, "every day is a school day"

Thanks for sharing.

Great link. Fascinating stuff. I knew the place was big but this puts it into perspective.

As they say, "every day is a school day"

Thanks for sharing.

I've got some more somewhere, but need to find where Mrs Gut has put them. She uses them when they make her teach geography.

Its a huge job numbering each one...:eek:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbi40E4cihABPcWpdlX-o9WaALZYT2mHuzMAKS9-4bFuzRQkuq

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkipGJjxDPcgjM1Zjxmihy8VRewI6b-1Y10bGHWZVV3KQtrzY27Q

and it looks like by the time they get to the bottom the number of jaffas may have been added to there are a few halves there so some have multiplied

Wildflower season is rapidly approaching Western Australia - we have more species, more displays, more of anything really that attracts thousands of overseas cruisers to Perth to see nature at it's best.

From late August through September you can and should visit to see this spectacle.

Even if only in Perth for one day - visit Kings Park - they have an amazing display of wild flowers from all regions of Western Australia.

You will be amazed, lost for words, stunned, dazzled, overwhelmed, astonished, at the display of colour and diversity of the flowers - and the coffee at the nearby shop is pretty good to.

See the attached photo of a patch of wild flowers we call "kangaroo paw"

In the meantime I am sure all our wonderful Aussie cc members will continue to provide our valued overseas cruisers with advice and tips to help with their visit to the downunder.

went to Monkey Mia about July i think it was one year and the flowers were coming out early those dasie ones along the side of the road are beautiful saw some grass trees in flower at the pinnacles as they had a fire there that year which you could see where it been abd that helped them come out in flower and a few bottle brushes as well

I forgot to mention something and this is very important:

The picking of wildflowers at Kings Park or anywhere in the bush is strickly prohibited - offenders will be prosecuted.

This ban is strickly enforced even though you may see miles and miles of the same flower in the bush and be tempted to pick just one -forget it!

The alternative is to buy some seeds of your favourite wildflower, plant it at home, watch it grow and pluck you own - it is as simple as that.

pretty hefty fine if i remember plus good chance touch the bottle brush flower you may get bitten by ants , i am sure i saw someone on my bus tour trying to sneak a flower i do hope they got bitten but was too far away to tell

pretty hefty fine if i remember plus good chance touch the bottle brush flower you may get bitten by ants , i am sure i saw someone on my bus tour trying to sneak a flower i do hope they got bitten but was too far away to tell

Varies by state, but the fines are heavy.

went to Monkey Mia about July i think it was one year and the flowers were coming out early those dasie ones along the side of the road are beautiful saw some grass trees in flower at the pinnacles as they had a fire there that year which you could see where it been abd that helped them come out in flower and a few bottle brushes as well

The flowers are truly spectacular.:D

Varies by state, but the fines are heavy.

when i was doing a tour of W.A our bus driver said picking flowers there was a $20,000 or so fine may have been more was over 20 yrs ago so pushing the memory but i know was over quite a few thousand fine

when i was doing a tour of W.A our bus driver said picking flowers there was a $20,000 or so fine may have been more was over 20 yrs ago so pushing the memory but i know was over quite a few thousand fine

Quite possibly that high as the littering can be as high as $5000.