Question about internet packages

gfountain1

Regular texting is not available unless you plan to have an international plan with your cell phone carrier.

International plans from your phone carrier will be usable in port, but not on the ship. On the ship and away from port you get slapped with high rates from the marine carrier carnival uses. Williams Marine or some such.

Carnival's definition of "coming soon" is different than ours

Oh I know. Coming soon means some time between now and whenever they get around to it. My point was that the hub app still does not appear to support the Magic. So internet plans are the only option there.

Unfortunately, I never tried to call using the Facebook Messenger app. I did use it a couple of times to message family, but didn't use the call feature. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it probably will work, similar to using Skype, as long as you have either the middle or upper internet packages. Don't hold me to that though! :)

Which plan do you suggest for playing games, such as bubble Witch, Candy crush etc. These are games I normally start thru Facebook.

Any ideas which plan is best to access Facebook and its games ?

Thank you

Regular texting is not available unless you plan to have an international plan with your cell phone carrier.

Also, while technically not regular texting - ie SMS - if you leave cellular off and have wifi on, iPhone users who use iMessage with other iPhone users, those come through with no extra charge (aside from whatever ship wifi you have).

Depends on if the people you text on a regular basis use iPhones or not, but for my family it worked great.

• 3 weeks later...
Also, while technically not regular texting - ie SMS - if you leave cellular off and have wifi on, iPhone users who use iMessage with other iPhone users, those come through with no extra charge (aside from whatever ship wifi you have).

Depends on if the people you text on a regular basis use iPhones or not, but for my family it worked great.

So do you mean the sms will NOT work? Wondered about that. The lady that cares for our critters is not on fb...but I can usually send her phone and text via sms. Didn't know if that would work on the ship.

Just got home from 7 days on magic, did the middle value plan and wifi calling and text worked the whole time without any additional roaming charges. Also turned on my wifi sharing hotspot and tethered my laptop and other mobiles with no problem. Slow but it got me by.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Just got home from 7 days on magic, did the middle value plan and wifi calling and text worked the whole time without any additional roaming charges. Also turned on my wifi sharing hotspot and tethered my laptop and other mobiles with no problem. Slow but it got me by.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Awesome I was going to ask about that. So if you have a mobile hotspot option on your phone, you can in theory only pay for 1 internet plan on board and then go to airplane mode, connect to carnival's wifi, turn on your hot spot, rebroadcast their wifi to others that can connect to your hotspot and then you don't have to pay for the service for all members of your family and it does not boot you off your airplane mode to incur charges?

I will more than likely get this when we head out in October:

Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

Does it actually perform well enough to make Skype / Facetime Voice calls as it claims? If so, this should at least allow me to keep in touch with work while we're gone. I know, I know.. I wish I could fully detach myself from work but not going to happen. Thanks a lot technology! :eek:

Edited by fingolfin269

Awesome I was going to ask about that. So if you have a mobile hotspot option on your phone, you can in theory only pay for 1 internet plan on board and then go to airplane mode, connect to carnival's wifi, turn on your hot spot, rebroadcast their wifi to others that can connect to your hotspot and then you don't have to pay for the service for all members of your family and it does not boot you off your airplane mode to incur charges?

I know on my tmobile S7edge I had to turn on the wifi sharing option in hotspot but I also had to turn off airplane mode for hotspot to turn on so it was a bit of a worry that calls could come through the roaming cell at sea connection, I had data roaming off and wifi calling on. I rejected all calls anyways and my voicemail was filling up. I think it may have tried to bill me for some cell usage because i got a weird text from tmobile about additional usage but when I called tmobile i told them i did not make any calls while roaming and they said there was no charges and my sail and sign had no additional charges either except 1 wifi plan.

Your secondary devices can definitely be in airplane mode with wifi on but remeber it will only share that wifi to them while they are fairly close by.

I'm a technical guy so it was pretty easy for me to understand and monitor but may be tough for the average joe.

Good luck!

Stupid question, I am sure, but I can't find the answer. Do I need to purchase a wifi package to use the Hub app? On DCL, their app includes a texting feature that is free to use on board, wondering if this is the same on Carnival. Thanks!

If you only want the HUB app, no, you do not need to purchase any internet plan. The HUB is just $5 per device for the entire cruise and it uses the ship's intranet (the network isolated to the ship) for communication.

sorry, but ive read through and I am still not understanding.

to use HUb *(the app), you pay $5 per cruise. This lets you see the schedule and the deck maps. Amy other features?

For the social media package ($5 per day), can more than one device use this?

if there are two people cruising, could we share the media package? Either sign in one at a time, or use a hotspot?

Thank you!

to use HUb *(the app), you pay $5 per cruise. This lets you see the schedule and the deck maps. Amy other features?

if there are two people cruising, could we share the media package? Either sign in one at a time, or use a hotspot?

I can't answer your question about the app since I've never used it, sorry.

For all WiFi packages, any number of devices can use it, but only one device at a time.

Thank you!

The Hub app is free for all features except texting. If you want to use it for texting, you pay $5 for the cruise.

If you purchase the social media package, it is by folio number, so each person that wants to use it, has to sign up for it. And only one device per folio number can be logged on at one time.

Since you can text with the social media package, I don't see why you would want to purchase the chat feature on the HUB app. But, then again, I'm pretty sure one could use the HUB app and one could use the social media. If you don't need the media package for anything else, the HUB is a cheaper way to go.

Edited by crzndeb

If you only want the HUB app, no, you do not need to purchase any internet plan. The HUB is just $5 per device for the entire cruise and it uses the ship's intranet (the network isolated to the ship) for communication.

Thank you! I do want to use it for texting, I thought I was going to have to get two of the $5/day plans. I want to text my son, who is coming with, and his dad, who has to stay home. I will have to install FB messenger for DH before we leave. Does anyone have any actual experience using FB messenger with the $5/day plan? I may want to send pictures to DH, and perhaps to some co-workers who have been torturing me with their summer vacation pictures.

I have a question: to use the plans that they have on CCL, do you turn your phone to airplane mode and leave it there, or do you have to turn airplane mode off to use the wifi packages? Sorry if this is a silly question!:confused:

I have a question: to use the plans that they have on CCL, do you turn your phone to airplane mode and leave it there, or do you have to turn airplane mode off to use the wifi packages? Sorry if this is a silly question!:confused:

Put it in airplane mode then turn on wifi. The Carnival plans will work as long as wifi is on. But want cell service turned off so you don't pay $2.50 a minute to get a call from some spammer.